how big?

william99

Visit site
my foal is 6 months old how big do you think he will be?
confused.gif

amandathepanda

Visit site
Interesting! What breeding? I have a 2 year old out of a 15 hand cleveland bay x anglo-arab mare by pro-set who is 16.1. She stands 15 hands at present and is expected to make about 16.3-17 hands! Just going off the heights you have given me I would suggest anywhere between 15.3 and 16.2 as 13 hands at 6 months is fairly hefty when it is out of a 14.2hh. Smaller mares can throw big horses, the foals don't come out any bigger as they are restricted by the room in which they have to grow inside the mare but they have to grow more during the first couple of years to reach their height potential.

Faithkat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 2 year old out of a 15 hand cleveland bay x anglo-arab mare by pro-set who is 16.1. She stands 15 hands at present and is expected to make about 16.3-17 hands!

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Moly, I've got a filly (she was 6 months last Friday) out of a 15.3hh AngloArab by a chunky 16.2 Dutch Warmblood. I have been expecting her to make 16hh maybe 16.1hh . . . . do you think she'll be bigger then? Oh, she's just under 13hh (12.3 and a bit)at the withers and 13.1 (and a bit) on her bum

amandathepanda

Visit site
Oops - meant my two year old is standing 16 hands at the mo not 15!!! (Dodgy touch typing) I think Pro-Set stock tends to be big anyway and my 15 hand mare throughs big babies anyway. I will say that my baby stood about 13 hands at 6 months though! Very much depends on the genetic side of things, but one way that does seem fairly accurate is when your baby is over 12 months old, measure between the elbow and the ergot, then add the height on from the elbow upwards. Where the tape measure ends will be a pretty good guide as to how high your baby will grow - their final height is always a correlation of their leg measurement, although obviously different breeds etc do vary (eg cobs v TB's)
smile.gif

amandathepanda

Visit site
By the way - my two dressage horses are both by the same 15.3 anglo arab stallion out of different warmblood mares. The one out of a 16.2 mare made 17.1 and the one out of a 16.1 made 16.2. Maybe I just grow them well!!!
shocked.gif

reynold

Visit site
if he's 6 months old measure the distance from the ground to the point of his elbow in inches and then double to get mature height

so 31 inches means he'll be 15.2

my 2.5 yr old is 15.3 now by a 17hh warmblood out of a 14hh welsh mare

expect him to make 16.1 which is what the above said when he was 6 months old and I though - rubbish - but it was right (having thouight he'd make 15.2 !!)