How can i get pony going forwards?

claire1976

Visit site
Well, first of all teach your pony to reverse and master that before going forward. When you've got that mastered ask your pony to go forwards, you need to push reins forward and give your pony a 'space' to move into. If he decides he doesn't want to go forwards well make him go back, and keep backing him up until that's hard work.
Basically the idea is that he'll eventually realise that its far easier to go forwards as if he doesnt he has to reverse and reverse is much harder work for him!!
smirk.gif

Always allow him that space to walk into and even if you only get a couple of strides from him then release the pressure and reward him. It may take time but at least you are asking him to co-operate with you. Using a whip is really not the best way of making them go forwards, they start to associate being asked to go forwards with a negative action and therefore you are making the problem worse!
Good luck.
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Absolutely Becki - transitions are (although it DOES sound arse over tit) a great way to get a horse off the leg - I really must start marketing electric spurs some more tho, to go with my electric bum breeches
wink.gif

claire1976

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I really must start marketing electric spurs some more tho, to go with my electric bum breeches
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I know I can be naive sometime but you had me going there. I'm obviously really dumb as I was just about to campaign to RSPCA about getting em banned!!!
blush.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
Do you have anyone to help you?
If it were me I would lunge it and get it going forwards from the long whip. Once it reponds to the long whip then get someone to follow you round when you are riding, that way you wont have to nag.

Bossanova

Visit site
You need to make it respond to the stick. Try double taps and see if that works, if he wont move off from halt immediaely then he gets a firm tap-tap and you repeat until he does move off promptly.
If he is really thick skinned and you dont want to use the stick any harder, try making a swishy noise with the stick by holding it upwards and moving it- the noise often suprises them. Also try tapping in 4 different points- left shoulder, right shoulder, left behind girh and finally right behind girh in quick sucession.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Thanks for your advice guys
Have lunged it and it goes brilliantly on lunge which is even more annoyoing!!!
Also the owner hacks and hunts im the only one schooling it so its not bored i dont think.
I'm just knackered and feel like im achieving nothing!
Might see about getting someone on the ground with a lunge whip tho.

siennamum

Visit site
Fundamentally he is resisting. Assuming he is a child's pony, don't do anything which will turn a passive & fairly 'safe' resistance into something more dangerous - like reversing him (teaching him to rear), or overusing the stick (encouraging him to buck).
The best technique I have seen used is to 'Spencer' him. We've done it with a couple of animals - it's fantastic.
Basically stand at one end of the school, onboard, and go 'ready, steady Go!! then do every thing in your power (whip, voice - think gymnkhana games) to get him going as fast as you can straight away, gallop him if you can to the other end of the school. Do this a few times. Then get back onto a circle and use very light aids for a few transitions. As soon as he gets lazy off the leg stop him straight away, and do the gymnkhana start again.
You have to be careful he doesn't think it's an excuse to buck, but he should enjoy it and if he does buck, ride him through it strongly.
You may need to keep it up for a few sessions, till he gets the idea.

KateStartin

Visit site
My boy is fundamentally a lazy horse he likes nothing better than standing still having a scratch, have always struggled with going forwards, think we always will! however best thing i have found for us is to get him excited, jumping mixed with flatwork, i go in stubble for a canter before my flat lesson!. He is fairly advanced and is quite good with flying changes and loves them so we do plenty of these mixed with other work. As has been said above transitions, don't forget those within the pace as well. Also only school 2-3 times a week rest of the time hack, jump etc.

Good Luck!!

claire1976

Visit site
Obviously my advise against using whip is going to be ignored!! Seems like this is the only solution some people have tried but in my experience you're setting yourself up for more problems if you can only get your horse to go forwards with a stick!

claire1976

Visit site
Yes, sounds like its a bit bored, try having some fun games to liven him up a bit in the school. But seriously, try my advice I put earlier in the post, it works on most of the horses I've worked with who nap etc.
Please, please avoid the whip!!

siennamum

Visit site
He's not bored and the problem with him isn't because he's slow. The problem is that he is resistant and ignoring your leg. (I feel like writing this in caps)
Reversing a nappy pony round the school sounds like a fantastic way of getting him to rear.
My suggestion has actually nothing to do with gymnkhana games and is designed by highly respected dressage trainers to get a horse moving off the leg. I've seen it done on lazy warmbloods and fat hairy ponies. I agree that using the whip isn't the best solution, I also don't like the idea of someone on the ground with a lunge whip
frown.gif
However, do use your whip when you do this exercise, do anything you can to get him going forwards then give him lots of praise when he does.