How can i get pony going forwards?

burtie

Visit site
Siennamum, really good advice and not really much I can add as I'd do the same.

You have to make this completely black and white for the pony, he must go forwards, but equally when he does praise him a lot!

Also you say he ignores the leg, but not sure how much you mean, I've sometimes advised people to pretty much forget the reins, lift their legs of the horses side and truley pony club kick them once(holding onto a bit of mane just in case!).

ihatework

Visit site
This is easier said than done i know, but I have heard on many an occasison from a variety of top level riders and trainers that the hot fizzy horses need more leg and the 'lazy' ones need less.
By continually getting after him with your leg he is just going to switch off if he is that way inclined anyway.
siennamums advice is great and definitely worth a go. He needs to be shocked/revved up into going forwards ... when he's eventually there then think light leg, as soon as you apply an aid he needs to respond ... he's likely not too to start with so you immediately rev him up again, and repeat until he actually responds to a light leg aid.
It will take a while though, good luck.
PS - I too wouldn't rush to try the reversing tactic I'm afraid. Only time I have found this vaguely useful is if they are nappy out hacking, but not for schooling a horse that is behind the leg.

teapot

Visit site
Pony at yard, is dead to leg, doesn't respond to whip at all. Hold said whip up its neck, near it's ears but obviously not touching and he moves.

Transitions are the only way. Even if it's halt to walk. Oh and electric jods

Have you got any chance of chucking it up a hill at full pelt?

Skhosu

Visit site
any horse I know, reverse it long enough/more than it wants and up it will go.
No other suggestions other than gymkhana starts! (try and use the same voice signal each time, mine knows go and whoa!)

claire1976

Visit site
MMmmmmm, some interesting theories in reversing and rearing, wonder what qualifies people to make this assumption. Anyway, guess I'll not offer my 'experienced' opinion based on years of training again!

claire1976

Visit site
Should perhaps add that this maybe not as easy as I'm making it sound and if you are worried about your horse rearing then don't attempt this. Keep using your stick and you might get a result although probably not the one your after.
frown.gif

claire1976

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
so you dont ride your horse (s) with a stick then? (just curious)

Nope, don't need one thanks.

ETS : and by reversing a horse you are teaching it to nap imo.......

[/ QUOTE ]

How, why, are you experienced at this?

Actually, don't answer, I can't be bothered trying to defend myself anymore. I know, when done correctly, it works and therefore I won't waste my time.
grin.gif