How can I help her settle?

PercyMum

Visit site
Well, I brought home my new acquisition - a Highland x TB. Understandably nervous to load as she has hardly traveled in her life but she was very good in the box so was pleased with that.

Got her home and popped her in the stable where she promptly box-walked for an age. I thought it would be better to put her out on some good grass but in sight of the boys so she could have a stretch and a munch. She marched up and down the field and wouldn't settle but I left her and brought her in overnight. Next day I turned her out in the field again - she fence walked like a loon. I then put her in the turnout area right next to the boys thinking that would help - more fence walking. Swapped them over so they were in the turnout, and she had lots of grass. Fine for an hour, then loads of fence walking. The fields are now soaked from the rain and she has weird shoes on that are trashing the fields already so I have now put her in her box where she is hiding at the back.

The poor lamb is obviously quite stressed. She wants to be with people and doesn't seem to care about other horses and has already barged through a very sturdy post and rail fence to get back to us. I want to help her but not sure what the way forward is. If I turn her out, she doesn't seem very happy but I don't like leaving horses in. I thought maybe leave her in but chuck her out for a few hours in the morning and evening when I am pottering about (and also exercise her) then see if she starts to relax? She isn't doing anything else daft but she just looks miserable and I am not actually sure what I can do to alleviate it. Of course I don't expect her to have settled completely having only been here 3 days but I would have hoped she would be a little less stressed? Or at least want to be in a field with lots of grass!!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Can she not go out with something else?

My mare seemed as though she didn't want equine company for two weeks, running to the gate as soon as she saw a human, then suddenly she became part of the herd and we couldn't catch her for two weeks!!

PercyMum

Visit site
Rescue remedy in water, a treat ball and maybe radio on in her box?

Thanks, I'll try that

Can she not go out with something else?

My mare seemed as though she didn't want equine company for two weeks, running to the gate as soon as she saw a human, then suddenly she became part of the herd and we couldn't catch her for two weeks!!

I only have my TB gelding and my mini shettie. I would usually turn out with the others with boots all round and leave them to it BUT I was warned that she is a bit of a kicker (quote 'She'll kick anything to pieces, that one'). I contacted her breeder who doesn't think this is the case but until she has had her back shoes off, I'm not taking any risks. She has legs and feet like a carthorse and my TB is a plonker so until they get to know each other over the fence a bit more, I cannot risk it. But thank you for the suggestion :)

PollyP99

Visit site
You seem to be chopping and changing routine quite a lot, I would just do what you intend to do long term so that she gets a feel for routine, mine settled once she could anticipate what would happen to her next.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
As above, I would keep to a routine for the next 2 or 3 weeks or so till she is settled more.
I like to ride new ones in the morning as soon as breakfast has gone down. If you can work quite hard, so their brain really does need to de-stress - much easier to then turn out as they want to usually roll & relax with some grass.

What was her routine in the previous home?

Spottyappy

Visit site
I would turn her with the others, be only when you are around for a few hours to keep an eye on things.
Our mare came from her breeder who said " watch her, she has chased one of the others through the fence".
It seems highly unlikely,as she is bottom of the pecking order with me,and is terrified of anything except our yearlings!

PercyMum

Visit site
Thanks all.

Agreed, I am chopping and changing and I wouldn't usually do that but the weather has thwarted me! Her routine was out in the day, in at night which is what I will do here until it dries up again. Unfortunately, as I said, I won't turn her out with the others until the shoes come off. I'll put her back in the top field tomorrow and go from there and see how she is.