How can I keep flies out of a wound?

Visit site
So my spotty boy is sound and doind really well - the cut which was originally the least of my worries as it is only a graze is still very yellow and oozy. I keep cleaning with hibiscrub twice per day and applying cream as per vets instructions but the flues seem attracted to it both in the stable and the field.. any ideas of a wound cream that I can use to keep the flies away?!

Coblet230

Visit site
So my spotty boy is sound and doind really well - the cut which was originally the least of my worries as it is only a graze is still very yellow and oozy. I keep cleaning with hibiscrub twice per day and applying cream as per vets instructions but the flues seem attracted to it both in the stable and the field.. any ideas of a wound cream that I can use to keep the flies away?!

This may be a silly question but is the cut in a place where you can cover it up with a breathable dressing whilst out in the field and then wash and remove the dressing and apply a barrier cream (Vaseline/fly cream) when back in his stable (if he comes in at night of course) where there is perhaps a little more “protection” than when out in the field?
Faffy I know but this method helped my pony heal when he had an open wound on his leg quite recently.
I also put up some of those sticky fly catchers in his stable which filled up quite quickly

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Udder salve should help, provided it won’t ‘sting’ the area. It should help with healing too. Has your vet really recommended twice daily washing with hibiscrub?

Visit site
Udder salve should help, provided it won’t ‘sting’ the area. It should help with healing too. Has your vet really recommended twice daily washing with hibiscrub?

not that bit no, I was doing that but only did it once today. Just so worries about it getting infected ?

Visit site
This may be a silly question but is the cut in a place where you can cover it up with a breathable dressing whilst out in the field and then wash and remove the dressing and apply a barrier cream (Vaseline/fly cream) when back in his stable (if he comes in at night of course) where there is perhaps a little more “protection” than when out in the field?
Faffy I know but this method helped my pony heal when he had an open wound on his leg quite recently.
I also put up some of those sticky fly catchers in his stable which filled up quite quickly

It's just above the knee at the front so not an easy place to bandage. Also I am not sure whether covering it would keep it warm and encourage infection but I guess I could use some sort of gauze?

Coblet230

Visit site
It's just above the knee at the front so not an easy place to bandage. Also I am not sure whether covering it would keep it warm and encourage infection but I guess I could use some sort of gauze?

Yes I understand, I put the cream on first then the gauze on top (only one thin sheet of gauze) so the cream still did it’s work but if you are really concerned regarding the heat or it’s too difficult an area would go with a very thick layer of barrier cream (sudocrem etc) as others have suggested,
and as carrottom has said, if the flies are on the cream they are not on your boy ?

Coblover63

Visit site
I have had success in the past using a piece of clean cotton fabric and glueing it onto the hair around a wound using Copydex rubber-based glue. It holds well yet peels off easily and anything left can be rubbed off. Obviously you have to make sure you have enough margin for the glue to not touch the wound. The fabric prevents flies but is also breatheable

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Another vote for summer fly cream. After my grey had her horse V fence incident and she was allowed out, all her cuts were slathered in it on the vet's advice. She was stained yellow for weeks, but it kept the flies off while everything healed. :)

Attachments

• Flosscantertwo.jpg
    Flosscantertwo.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 8

only_me

Visit site
Honey!

when Bill was attacked by sh1tland his massive wound was upper inner thigh so was unable to bandage. Also worried with flies at time - stuck on honey and weirdly no flies at all!!

Lady Jane

Visit site
I would check with your vet if you should still be using Hibiscrub and if yes, make sure the dilution is appropriate. Also check whether wet or dry healing is recommended as that dictates whether covering with gauze/and/or cream is best

Steerpike

Visit site
I'm treating a wound in a similar place at the moment, the flies managed to get through the silver spray I was using and also the honey heal cream, I have resorted to using honey with a small dressing over it, I'm hoping it will at least heal the hole in the middle of the wound to then be able to go back to the spray.

Visit site
I'm treating a wound in a similar place at the moment, the flies managed to get through the silver spray I was using and also the honey heal cream, I have resorted to using honey with a small dressing over it, I'm hoping it will at least heal the hole in the middle of the wound to then be able to go back to the spray.

What sort of dressing are you using?