How can so many teenagers afford horses?

Beth206

Visit site
I am 25 and the struggle is real for me some months. I am on DIY livery, sometimes I would love to be at a yard with better facilities but my mare is turned out 24/7 all year and she is such a happy little thing and I would want to jeopardise that (plus the fact I couldn't afford!!!) But I do have a mortgage, car, dogs and a life and as long as I can juggle everything and still put dinner on the table then I'm happy

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am appalled that some parents think that is is acceptable for teenagers, still in full time education to be responsible for most of the costs associated with keeping a horse. Whilst their child is under 18, the parents are legally responsible for the welfare of both the child and the equine. Teenagers should be concentrating on their schoolwork not worrying about where their horse's next meal is coming from. Which is not to say that the young person shouldn't have a job, when it is legal to do so (and there are strict rules about the hours which can be worked, employers need to have a separate license for each child employed) but that their earnings should be no more than a minimal contribution. Better, IMO, for the young person to pay for their own social activities and the parents to be responsible for the horse care.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I am appalled that some parents think that is is acceptable for teenagers, still in full time education to be responsible for most of the costs associated with keeping a horse. Whilst their child is under 18, the parents are legally responsible for the welfare of both the child and the equine. Teenagers should be concentrating on their schoolwork not worrying about where their horse's next meal is coming from. Which is not to say that the young person shouldn't have a job, when it is legal to do so (and there are strict rules about the hours which can be worked, employers need to have a separate license for each child employed) but that their earnings should be no more than a minimal contribution. Better, IMO, for the young person to pay for their own social activities and the parents to be responsible for the horse care.

:D:D I know my parents answer... "don't have one!".

Teenagers can be quite determined. I was lucky to have horsey parents but I'm pleased they didn't do it all for me. When I finally started to compete and win, then they started to contribute. I got given a landrover (i was driving by this point!!), trailer etc but not until I proved my commitment.

Sadly, as a parent now, I would probably completely mollycoddle my own if they even showed half the interest I did as a child and I'm not sure it's the right thing... I pop them on my horse but I would refuse to buy a pony now for them. I'll need to see the grovelling face first! :D

Then again, we're not in the 70's, 80's 90's where life was simpler... I'd agree with you pearl... I'd have to take responsibility. It's a toughie for parents of the teens today.

Kafairia

Visit site
May I ask how much the insurance is? I only ask because if you would struggle to pay the insurance premium, then what happens if the insurance refuse to pay out on essential costly vet bills in future? I stopped insuring my mare a few years ago for vets fees, because to me the premiums weren't worth paying, and I had the means to pay otherwise if needed. In the past year, I've forked out in excess of £3500 vets bills, over half of which wouldn't have been payable by insurers had still had her insured. That's a lot of money if you already don't have the means to pay insurance premiums yourself.

I would never not insure any of my horses in my experience, I have a bit in hand always (not huge amount though) to cover anything small that we wouldn't claim on insurance for. But I'm my experience, insurance - the right one that's is, is worth having, I'd had the pony about 3 weeks and we had to claim about £7000 on him when he broke his leg, we were with NFU and I couldn't fault them. I think initially we paid about £250 upfront and that was it. Sure the premiums went up, but it was still payable and have since gone done again. :)

huskydamage

Visit site
My mum helped me when I was a kid, I didn't have an 'allowance' or pocket money. My livery was free though, first yard my parents were good friends of owner. Second yard I worked in exchange for my livery. I used to cycle to yard on my bike before and after school and muck out all the horses. I don't think you would get away with that now though! Once I started earning proper money I moved.

Visit site
I don't pay the field rent for my horses, but pretty much whenever they need new things (they're excellent at trashing rugs and grazing muzzles!!) I buy it, or ask for it for Christmas/birthday if it's something big (eg saddle). I pet sit for neighbours pretty regularly and it pays really well - I have 2 native types though who are fairly low maintenance, my now retired 1st pony and an appaloosa x who both get fat off thin air and don't need feeding unless it's about -10 and snowing. Lol!
I am looking for another job to do more regularly than petsitting so I can either start paying my own share of the rent or move somewhere. I want post and rail fencing......:(

Damnation

Visit site

Why couldn't you be my mummy!!!!!!! :D

My parents bought my first horse when I was 15, and hated her, hated me for it, resented the time, blamed me for their near on divorce because of it etc.

My routine was Monday - Friday: Turnout horse before school, go to school, get bus from school to horse, Be picked up at 7pm (if they remembered), go home, clean the kitchen, have dinner around 8 until maybe half past, clean up from dinner, wind down time, bed by 10pm.

Weekends were: Turn horse out and be in work from 8am til 12, Saturday and Sunday on another yard. Be picked up, go to horse at other yard (parents wouldn't let me go home or a few hours then go to the horse later), be picked up about 6ish, go home, clean, tidy, hoover/chores, be yelled at about the horse, dinner, tidy up, sleep.

I earned £40 a week and they took the lot for the horse/petrol costs. I was exhausted, miserable and skint. I never did homework at home because I was exhausted or I had no time.

If I have my own kids, I will be footing the bill for the horse and they will have a degree of freedom I never had. It is possible for teenagers to do it, and yes kids should learn the value of money and responsibility but my parents too it too far I think.. :eek:

SEL

Visit site
Bank of Parents

On my yard it definitely is. To be fair to one of the kids she is super sensitive about asking her parents to spend any money on the horse and is very good at finding knock down price rugs etc. She does a bit of work on the yard in school holidays which helps her out with the 'extras', even though I think her mum is more than happy to buy anything the horse needs.

ihatework

Visit site

My parents bought my first horse when I was 15, and hated her, hated me for it, resented the time, blamed me for their near on divorce because of it etc.

My routine was Monday - Friday: Turnout horse before school, go to school, get bus from school to horse, Be picked up at 7pm (if they remembered), go home, clean the kitchen, have dinner around 8 until maybe half past, clean up from dinner, wind down time, bed by 10pm.

Weekends were: Turn horse out and be in work from 8am til 12, Saturday and Sunday on another yard. Be picked up, go to horse at other yard (parents wouldn't let me go home or a few hours then go to the horse later), be picked up about 6ish, go home, clean, tidy, hoover/chores, be yelled at about the horse, dinner, tidy up, sleep.

I earned £40 a week and they took the lot for the horse/petrol costs. I was exhausted, miserable and skint. I never did homework at home because I was exhausted or I had no time.

If I have my own kids, I will be footing the bill for the horse and they will have a degree of freedom I never had. It is possible for teenagers to do it, and yes kids should learn the value of money and responsibility but my parents too it too far I think.. :eek:

But the thing is horses are a luxury, not a right.
You didn't have to do that, you didn't have to have a horse.
There are thousands of horse mad teenagers who through whatever circumstances cannot have one. That's life.

I count myself very lucky that my parents gave me the right level of support. I was handed nothing on a plate and had to work for it. Education is more than exams.

SEL

Visit site
There are thousands of horse mad teenagers who through whatever circumstances cannot have one. That's life.

I count myself very lucky that my parents gave me the right level of support. I was handed nothing on a plate and had to work for it. Education is more than exams.

That's very true. I grew up in a military family and we were on the move much too regularly to be able to support any pets at all, let alone a horse. My parents supported me by getting me to places where I could ride - and I rode a LOT! - but I worked for my rides and basically rode whatever I could. In fact there's not a chance in h3ll I'd put kids on some of the horses and ponies I rode, but that was what was on offer and I was too addicted to turn any ride down.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

In my view, the commitment from the young person should be in terms of the work associated with the horse, not the finances. Wise parents would take the opportunity to spend some time with their offspring at the yard, helping with the care of the animal and checking on its welfare - teens can sometimes take on too much and become overwhelmed.

SpringArising

Visit site

Are you really saying that children and teenagers shouldn't be allowed to have a horse unless it's paid for by someone else?

Damnation

Visit site

Yes, that is very true but I personally wouldn't put my children through it, but it's personal choice.

At the time I sucked it up and I am glad I did as when I did eventually have a bit of a breakdown at 17/18 (not horse related! School/parents/life/depression/anxiety), my horse was probably the only thing that kept me remotely sane otherwise I probably would have just laid in bed for weeks and not leave the house. My parents just thought I was lazy..

I've funded my own horses including bills etc since I was 18.

Sophire

Visit site
I was very lucky when I was in my teenage years to have the ride on horses in return for stable duties and sometimes lunging the kids ponies. I went all the way through pony club and until I got Soph at 18 doing this. Luckily there was no financial contribution required to the horses so my parents only needed to pay for my PC fees and lessons etc. When I got my first job I paid for anything I could even though the pay was really poor.

When I got Soph I was in college and had a car to run as well etc. I had 3 jobs at one point, plus college and the horse and then I paid for everything. If she had needed serious veterinary attention I had an agreement with my Dad where he'd pay and I'd pay him back. When I went to uni he did pay her livery for the 3 years I was there.

I think it's perfectly doable from ages 16 onwards when they have a proper job, or even younger if they're doing yard work in exchange for livery etc. But like others have said I think it's dependent on if the parents are going to be happy with their child spending so much time working they inevitably spend less time on schoolwork.