How ' Chatty ' is your horse?

TicTac

Visit site
My gelding ' talks ' to me all the time. In the morning I get a " Hello mum " in the evening he shrieks at me to bring him in, especially today, together with a show of 'airs above the ground' He wickers for his feed and will call to his friends. But my mare...she hardly says a word but talks with her great big ears! She will occasionally call if her friend is out of sight or she is in an unfamiliar place and sometimes she lets out a soft wicker for her food. Depending on the weather and how impatient she is, she will ocassionally scream at me to bring her in but the two couldn't be more different really.

I like chatty horses.
smile.gif

Rosehip

Visit site
Melly talks all the time! Shes a really vocal girly and I love it! She whickers constantly to me, and 'replies' when Im chatting to her! Love her to bits!! x

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Doug never used to speak but now he does
grin.gif
He did when i got him from the field tonight, and when i walk up to his stable, it makes me feel really good to know he is wickering at you
smile.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
My mare is very vocal, and always chatters away to me while I potter about on the yard. My filly (mares daughter) is much quieter and only whickers when her feed is on its way.

TS_

Visit site
My horse is a real chatty one too. in the morning she wickers, if there's a chance of food she wickers, out in the field she wickers, if there's another horse she wickers and she's so talkative and a real kissy cuddly mare. I love it but it gets abit embarassing at shows when she winnies to every man and his dog lol. Honestly went show jumping yesturday and every other horse was stood as quiet as a mouse and she was there winny-ing her head off.

china

Visit site
my boy is very vocal. every morning i get a big winnie and especially at food time he is VERY vocal lol. not so much to other horses tho.

MissMillie

Visit site
Awww:p The foalies whinny all the time. Whenever they hear a gate close, whenever they hear a horse move, food time ofc:p
Misty rarely speaks unless shes despo for feed and im taking ages. She has a very very very low voice which i find hilarious. Possibly why she keeps quiet? :p
She also talks with her ears though, cuuutee.
And the Sec A talks all the time but hes gotta girly voice. There's a plastic bottle still in his stable from when one of the foals were in there to play with/de-sensitise etc:p. If you dont come to see him first in the morn, he'll make a hell of a racket banging against that.
And if im muckin out, my stables next to his, he'll poke his nose over, watching me and kickin the partition until i say hello
smile.gif

MissMillie

Visit site
Ohh she's also the same as yours Cattie :p Its worse in the indoor sj place..everyones stood quietly watching a horse jump round and she lets out the loudest, lowest whicker you can imagine. And at shows, because her buddy's grey, she has to speak to every grey that goes past (also trys to go with them) just incase it might be her.
She's a big flirt. She'll be whinnying at them, having not met them before.

Shes...special.
laugh.gif

checkmate1

Visit site
My mare in very chatty, she hears me coming when I'm the otherside of the yard and calls me, if I wonder off to chat to other people she calls me back. Always greets me (prob for food breakfast/lunch/dinner!). I love chatty horses too. Shes got more chatty since I moved to a big yard 3 months ago, she loves all the activity going on but knows only one person will actually spend time with her/feed/make a fuss of her..me!

LeneHorse

Visit site
Mine is not generally talkative except when we are hacking on our own, when every so often she will neigh very loudly. Does anyone else think that mares have louder neighs than geldings?

RachelB

Visit site
My horse only talks to me! She calls when she sees me walking up the field next door (I walk to see her). She'll talk quietly to her food when it arrives, whoever is carrying it, but it's apparently only me who gets yelled at very loudly!
grin.gif

chunkytfg

Visit site
Our pair together arnt that chatty but when out at a show they talk to each other so much that during the last show one of them whinney'd back to the other in the traile and left the arena for a few steps as he wasnt concentrating.

lauraanddolly

Visit site
Mine is chatty, I get a wicker in the morning as I unlock the tack room(she is in indoor stables so can't see me) and then low wickers as I bring her her brekkie, she also shrieks at me when she wants bringing in!
Up until recently I was the only person she spoke to, however she has now started chatting to my OH too. (OH and I been together 4 years now and I've had D for 7, so it took her a while!)
She even groomed him the other day and he was dead chuffed!

miss_c

Visit site
Genie's quite quiet... I'll occassionally get a very soft whicker if she's DESPERATE for her feed, or to go out, and that's about it... I've heard her calling to friends or saying hello when they come in though.

When I got Mazzie she was quiet as hell, and just stood at the back of the stable. By the time she was pts in July 08 she was SO vocal... She neighed when I arrived, whickered when her feed came, and if I took too long getting it then she'd neigh at me to hurry up! (She could see the feed room from her stable) When we took her places on her own she'd call and call as well.

My friend's horse will grunt, and if you reply to her she'll grunt back! :-D

vick

Visit site
My mare whinnies for her grub and when we are away from other horses she doesnt shut up whinning. It makes me jump sometimes, shes so loud

Tiffany

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is not generally talkative except when we are hacking on our own, when every so often she will neigh very loudly. Does anyone else think that mares have louder neighs than geldings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think mares are louder than geldings - certainly on our yard anyway
smile.gif

tikino

Visit site
me homebred toby thinks he is a persona nd never shuts up.rosie and blaze are also quite noisy but skye and archie are quite quiet.blaze shous for food shouts to go out shouts to come in and shouts if he is in and heres you as he thinks he should have more haylage

spookypony

Visit site
Mine is pretty quiet. He'll neigh at strange horses sometimes on a hack, and that tends to startle me because he's so quiet the rest of the time! He'll make a weird groaning noise when he's perturbed, but that's pretty much it. He does groom me sometimes, though.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
my last horse never shut up! He whinnied when I drove down the lane, then for his breakfast, then for his haynet, then to go out, then to come up, then for his tea.... I had to put a sign up saying "I have been fed, I just like to talk" after he got 4 breakfasts in one day!
His party piece was to start whinnying when you approached the field, then carry on as he careered along the fence line, over several five bar gates, slam to a halt and whinny. Although I used to call it shouting not whinnying as it was so distinctive

NeilM

Visit site
Our two barely make a sound. The mare will sometimes whinny at my OH when she arrives with food, but does not make a sound if it's me. My gelding will sometimes call out to other horses and used to make a fuss calling out and getting stressed when separated from the mare, but we've worked that one through.

But, the mare has the most varied and pronounced body language I have ever seen. Ears, head, tail, body direction, she can have a whole conversation, telling me all the things that I am doing wrong and where she thinks the best grass in the field is, with her head and ears. She even opens and closes her lips, like she is talking. It's amazing.

If I am 'late' according to her, she will throw her head about and will sometimes trot towards me, while doing this. I am always slightly frightened that she will fall over, but she manages not to.

Our gelding either just stands around looking cute, or tries to groom me or kiss my OH, he is such a tart
grin.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
M always whinnies at food time, no matter who is feeding him. When I get to the yard he looks over his door and whinnies when I walk down to him if I've been in the tack room but only because that's where YO keeps the feeds once made up, so he knows feed comes from the tack room! He also whinnies if I put a hay net up and yells his head off at his friends in the field (even though he always has another horse out with him), and neighs a few times around a hack that's longer than about 30 mins.

It's all food or "argh I'm on my own" noise though!

Spyda

Visit site
My yearling filly is very vocal. Calls to me in the morning. Calls to me from her paddock when she sees my car pass the gate. Calls to me as she sees me walking up to fetch her in. She's very sweet and people friendly. Loves every one infact. Even loves the stable cat when it's sat on her stable wall. It rolls over onto its tummy purring away as she nuzzles it tummy and neck. It's soooo cute to see them
smile.gif