How cheeky can you get?! *rant*

MidnightStar

Visit site
I've got a 3.5 tonne lorry which takes my 16.2 warmblood and then has space for one other horse. I'm going out competing about once every 2 or 3 weeks due to various work commitments most weekends at the moment.

A girl at the yard owns a mare who will not load for love or money. As soon as its in the box, it kicks the partitions and general puts up a stink - kicking out when you tie her up etc. I have occasionally given this girl a lift to competitions (about 5 or 6 times in the last year and a half or so)with her other horse but I still don't think it makes this reasonable...

Anyway, I commented that I would be competing in a dressage comp next weekend when I was on the yard and didnt think anything of it. One of the other girls then said jokingly, 'if only my pony was good at dressage, I'd love to come with you!'

This 'friend' with the mare that kicks then said, 'you can't come, because I'm going with her and there's no room in the lorry'.

I did a bit of a double take and said something along the lines of 'wtf - when did I say you were coming?!'

This girl then got quite nasty about it and said 'but I've already entered and learnt the test and I now want to take my new horse (the one that won't load). You always take me. I assumed you'd take me this time - its too late for you to back out now.'

I didn't answer - I was far too shocked to say anything at all! Went home without saying anything to her at all.

Went up the yard today to find the whole yard talking about me saying how horrible I am to ditch this girl from a lift she never had in the first place! This girl apparently then did the sob story with everyone saying how she couldn't afford the £45 to get a professional tranporter to take her.

Despite the fact that she's just spent £100 on an elevator bridle and bought a new sports car
mad.gif

I'm fuming - how have I ended up the villian in all of this?! I thought that it was me who offered lifts not have her inviting herself along?! She never offers petrol money/cleans out the lorry/helps me at all when we've been out together either. She just waits on the yard with her horse all ready to load demanding to be taken so her precious bloody horse is at the class in plenty of time
mad.gif

Sorry for the rant but I've never been so angry in my life
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

_April_

Visit site
That's terrible!

I don't have my own transport and I never, ever presume to be taken anywhere by the others!
I normally wait until they either or I would ask in advance if I was really keen to go.
Plus I always pay petrol and horse is great in the box so people are always keen to get her in their box lol

rema

Visit site
What a cheek.At my old yard i had to refuse to take anybody in my trailer because people started to yake the mick.Every one knows where they stand.I had to use the "Don't ask because the answer is no" attitude.I know it is very tight of me but it got stupid.Luckly where my horse is now everyone has there own trailer but i would lend my trailer to the people on my now yard.

Mel85

Visit site
OMG I can understand how angry you are - made my blood boil just reading it!

Who does she think she is? Why should you take her, you don't have to...grrr!! Some people are just so rude!

TequilaMist

Visit site
I would be fuming as well!!Bloody cheek!Would tell her you are no longer giving her lifts!Personally I would be still giving lift to others and missing her out but I can be a bit of a cow sometimes!!Wouldn't say when you are going to comps again either that way if you want to give a lift you can offer person to person.
As for situation on yard is there someone you can tell your side to(pref biggest gossip ,every yard has one!) then it should get round yard!
Why is it if you have transport people think they have a god given right to a lift esp if you have given them a lift before!!

luane1

Visit site
Def don't take her if her horse is going to kick the s---- out of your lorry. Stick to your guns and it will all blow over at the yard - let someone else offer to take her if they feel sorry for her. We once had a horse that tried to kick our lorry to bits and never again. I towed 2 horses to a competition last summer and they kicked the whole way there and the whole way back but I couldnt complain as ours were travelling on a lorry in the convoy and more comfortable there.

joanne1920

Visit site
Stupid bloody cow!! Say no and keep your foot down, even right a notice informing the entire yard why you are not a taxi service for her!! the cheek, some people take advantage. Ive got a pony trailor which i leant to someone for a year, when it was finally returned it need new electrica, new brake cable and new tyres, cost me a fortune, no one take sthe mick out of me now, i look after number one!!!

_Jazz_

Visit site
Bless you , it's horrible when people take the pee then make out you are the baddy and shame on the others for being bitchy:-(
I think the idea to say you can't take her because of an insurance issue is a good one although I can appreciate you probably want to tell all the [****] stirers to !**!? off !!!
Afterall it is your transport and if someone was kind enough to offer me a space I would at least put some diesel in and clean it out Good Luck

spooks

Visit site
tell the rest of the yard the truth? she doesnt pay towards fuel, doesnt help clean the lorry out etc and above all you didnt ask her if she wanted a lift! then put a notice up saying you are not a horse taxi !! i had this on my yard, ive just bought a new lorry that takes 4 (but wouldnt weight wise) and a certain person on the yard has invited themselves along to shows with me ...except they havnt asked me yet....i do often take my daughters friend from the next yard along but only if i decide to take her..she never asks..i also sometimes take another person on the yard as they have a dinky pony and it also gets up the other ones nose
grin.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
B*tch. I'd murder her. Can't you suggest to girl with not-good-at-dressage horse that you can take her for some experience?? Just to p. off freeloader...But thats not really the answer, Weezys is best.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I don't think I could add anything to the above - Weezy's suggestion is THE one as it is totally valid and a point of law!

I am in total agreement that she should be tarred and feathered for her attitude which is cheeky and rude beyond belief.

Stick to your guns, girl, and tell her to find a different mug! I had to do this once, come to recall, and 'find another mug' was my exact terminology! It worked!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
OMG i would be absolutely livid too, what a cheek, poor thing must be so poor buying a new sports car and £100 bridle! i hate people like that who dont really know the meaning of being broke!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tell her that legally you are not permitted to take her anyway as it would make you a horse transporter and you require a licence for that
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't back down now, you definately shouldn't take her now. For the whole yard to know what has allegedly happened she has obviously been spreading her version of the story around. Tell her in no uncertain terms that you have taken her in the past but due to her never helping to clean the lorry, offering to help with fuel, the behavior of her horse you had decided not to take her anymore. As for her assuming you would take her then tell her she should have asked you first & also take her to task about spreading wrong stotries about the incident around the yard.

You need to make sure that your side of the story is told otherwise you will continue to be the villain of the piece.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Don't take her. Tell everyone you didn't invite her and you're not prepared to risk her horse kicking the sh*t out of your lorry. And besides, you haven't got hours to hang around waiting for the bloody thing to load.

Tell her in no uncertain terms NO. That she should've had the courtesy to ask, not assume. That you won't take her for that and the reasons above and that perhaps she'd like to buy some transport of her own and see how she likes everyone else abusing it!

Butterbean

Visit site
Cor some people are amazing - imagine having the cheek to assume you'd be giving them a lift! Without even asking first!

Seriously, be careful about carrying 2 horses in a 3.5tonne wagon - they don't generally have enough payload to carry 2 big horses & all the related tack etc and you could easily be overweight. Two ponies would prob be ok but not 16.2 WB + another horse.

Troggy

Visit site
Probably already mentioned but won't you be over the weight limit with 2 horses + tack in? If not it's a good excuse....

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Definitely would consider posting a notice on the yard saying something along the lines of

"I am very upset about the criticism I have received because I want to take my lorry to a competition with only my horse on board. Just so the facts are completely understood, I have not offered ANYONE a lift to ANY shows this year - if people think they are coming to a show with me, then it would be common courtesy to check with me first.

I am no longer even going to CONSIDER taking anyone to a show unless they firstly sign a document along the lines of this:

1. If there is ANY damage to the vehicle as a result of their horse travelling, then they will pay for the repair to my satisfaction
2. I will wait for 20 minutes for a horse to load. If the horse does not load within this timescale, then the horse won't be going to the show
3. I will not leave more than 1 hour before I needed to go to the show
4. I do not charge and have never charged diesel money. However, mucking out the lorry and occasionally helping out with my horse would always been seen by me as an attempt to return the favour.

Notwithstanding the above, please remember this is MY lorry and I have to go without things in order to purchase it and keep it on the road. I bought it to take MY horse to shows and not anyone elses.

MidnightStar

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone!

I've got no intention of taking her now and the poor kid with the pony has disappeared somewhere as she's so upset that she's been caught in the middle of all this
frown.gif

I've tried to put my side of the story out but everyone has done the whole "Of course you didn't say you'd give her a lift, we believe you..." in a very sarcastic voice thing so I'm giving up on that front
frown.gif

As for the lorry, I wasn't thinking - it's 7.5 ton max load, 3.5 ton unladen. Doh! Sorry guys if thats confused anyone.

I'm tempted to change yards TBH - I've been at the sharp end of the proverbial sword for far too long
frown.gif
This lorry buisness is just the final straw
frown.gif

Still have no idea how to make people at least listen to my side of the story though...

MidnightStar

Visit site
Thanks so much FFM!

I'll definetly be writing that out and putting it up at the yard - it can't make anything any worse, can it and at least it will be my side of the story...
frown.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
OMG the cheek of it!
Hun I really do not blame you for been so angry, I would be just as angry if this had happened to me!! The way you have ended up as the bad guy in all of this is because she would have diliberatly (sp?) failed to mention that she did not ask you for a lift, she may have even said that she asked for you, you agreed then refused at the last moment. I would have a word with one or two people you feel comfortable talking to on the yard and explain your side of the story. I would also tell the girl that due to her outrageous attitude towards you and the situation she should not assume for her to be waited on hand and foot, that you are extreamly kind giving her a lift(s) in the past due to her lack of input, and that you will not be giving her a lift in the future and i think that she should appologise to you infront of the whole yard, appologises to the yard for lying to them, and tells them the real reason why you did not take her as this may show her and others that you are not prepared to be walked over and will not back down!

lisan

pets.webshots.com
People just presume, because you have a box they can use it/borrow it!! I've taken the partion out of mine as I know it is overweight with two horses in it, (also 3.5 tonne) but people still ask I can take two, give lifts etc! I make a lot of sacrifices to even have a horsebox, and its much easier just to take your own!!!!

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely would consider posting a notice on the yard saying something along the lines of

"I am very upset about the criticism I have received because I want to take my lorry to a competition with only my horse on board. Just so the facts are completely understood, I have not offered ANYONE a lift to ANY shows this year - if people think they are coming to a show with me, then it would be common courtesy to check with me first.

I am no longer even going to CONSIDER taking anyone to a show unless they firstly sign a document along the lines of this:

1. If there is ANY damage to the vehicle as a result of their horse travelling, then they will pay for the repair to my satisfaction
2. I will wait for 20 minutes for a horse to load. If the horse does not load within this timescale, then the horse won't be going to the show
3. I will not leave more than 1 hour before I needed to go to the show
4. I do not charge and have never charged diesel money. However, mucking out the lorry and occasionally helping out with my horse would always been seen by me as an attempt to return the favour.

Notwithstanding the above, please remember this is MY lorry and I have to go without things in order to purchase it and keep it on the road. I bought it to take MY horse to shows and not anyone elses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great
grin.gif
I should do one too!!