how cold is too cold to ride?

tiga71

Visit site
I took my boy out jumping this afternoon but we are down south so it was 3 or 4 degrees. We were outdoors and it was cold and windy but fine once we got going.
Tomorrow I am taking my old boy to jumping clinic at 5 pm. It is indoors and hasn't been cancelled yet. He will need to warm up for a bit longer as he is 21. I won't push him if he does't feel up for it.
I must admit I only rode one today and they both had day off yesterday

madmav

Visit site
I’m missing riding out on freezing days. Horse having died. Do not miss the stupid raynauds syndrome in my fingers, though. But did get it in Tesco’s the other day! Rubbish without advantage of being with a horse.

Boulty

Visit site
From what I've read (& I'll admit I've not done extensive research on the subject) main advice is to avoid fast work / lots of fast work in cold weather & be aware of possible risks if you do, especially if your horse already has respiratory issues. I personally wouldn't worry about doing what is most peoples "normal" level of work in colder weather ie mainly walk / trot with odd short canter burst. I took mine out for a ride in the snow last year including a canter on the snow-covered field & he survived. I've also been out with bloodhounds in North Yorks Moors on more than one occasion when there's been frost on the ground with no ill effects. At the end of the day if you put a horse out in the field in cold weather then (provided ground isn't frozen solid & rutted) it's probably going to do a bit of charging about of its own anyway.

sollimum

Visit site
The Davd Marlin article that I read earlier this week, echoed what Boulty has said above re cold weather and respiratory issues - common sense really.

handbagsandhay

Visit site
We don't use an exercise sheet as he isn't clipped. It's not really for me I worry about the cold - doesn't bother me at all I am happy to ride in any weather really - it's more so the horse's lungs and th ecold air I worry about particularly as he is quite unfit I wouldn't want to throw him into a brisk trot before he is properly warmed up etc

We just had another short and slow schooling session last night and he seemed happy enough

Lammy

Visit site
Yeah I read that David Marlin article too. I wasn’t totally convinced that horses in countries with colder climates than ours haven’t acclimatised to their surroundings at all - as he seems to think.
I think horses deal with cold far better than they deal with heat.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
It was too cold last night but only because of the horrible wind which felt as if it was removing the top layer of skin off my face!! Horse wasn't over impressed either as we're doing slow work and it was just too cold to only walk with some gentle trot! We managed 30mins which was plenty long enough to show dedication. 😊

JFTDWS

Visit site
If it's cold enough to leave ice on the road, we don't go on the road. If it's cold enough for the ground to be frozen hard, we hack at an appropriate speed for the ground conditions. Don't currently have an arena - when I do I moderate for how frozen the surface is, but provided it's level and not completely unforgiving, we'll crack on. Provided the horse is physically fit, sound, and capable, I'm not overly concerned in British temperatures (highlands aside!). If the horse seems to struggle in some way, that's a different matter.

J&S

Visit site
I am another one who feels they are too old to get cold if not really necessarry. In the past I have ridden happily all through the winter, always thought ponies went better with a bit of a tail wind! I am quite ok out doing the stable and field work though, always can keep warm if moving.

Landcruiser

Visit site
We have 6 inches of snow here in Wiltshire and it's still coming down. I'm off out for a ride shortly, can't wait! Lucky enough to have access to woods straight off the yard - it's only about -1 but the cold doesn't bother me as long as I have decent gloves and socks (got my Sealskinz at the ready).

claireandnadia

Visit site
My own horses I can't do much with as we don't have safe hacking and our school is frozen.
Where I work on a Sunday at a riding school that just hacks, its business as usual whatever the weather but if their sand tracks are solid then no fast work.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have Raynauds so when it's cold enough to stop the circulation to my fingers I don't ride - it's dangerous to do so with no feeling in your hands and the pain of the circulation going back into them is unbelievable.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
As the property my lad is on is two thirds of the way up a very steep hill, narrow country lane and we have no school, I can't ride if the road is icy, as can't get him safely off the yard. Mind you at that point most cars can't get up it either!