How competitive are you??

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]

I aim for things and feel the same about never being able to just stay at home and do nothing, but my goals tend to be personal ones, not competitive ones if that makes sense? For example, my one and only aim with Boss has always been to complete an advanced- he's never going to win an intermediate section due to his dressage but we have been placed at novice level several times and that has always felt like a bonus rather than what I've set out to acheive.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats exactly what I think like, But now have 2 nice ones to bring out next spring ready to kick some butt!!!!!
grin.gif

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
If I didnt know better I would think that was my husband's post. Aside from bringing on horses I am terribly competitive and have just discovered the joys of a dressage schoolmaster. It means I can do really good dressage on my friends horse who has come from a fair distance so we don't hve to endure the gossips cos everyone thinks I've turned into an overnight dressage diva!! So at last we win some red ones
grin.gif
grin.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Yep the Easter show 'normally' falls before the BE event by a few weeks except when they bring forward the BE event! I could come groom
laugh.gif

As for question at hand medium and yes. I have the desire to win but I know you can't everytime, i will normally have a plan for a show whether it be to jump clear, to keep on legs on floor when required etc etc, rosettes are generally a bonus especially when the SJ classes round here especially in summer require a fast DC to be placed.

KatB

Visit site
Wellll, I used to be really competitive on borrowed horses, and my pony, and would set out to win, and would generally! And was a bit like that with G when first got him with showing etc....

Howver, I think I've realised have got my horse of a lifetime now, and have several personal long term goals, so am quite happy to go out and play without a thought about placings, as long as I feel we as a partnership have achieved something!

I think you need that competitiveness to have the drive to do the prep and hard work, but its not always the be all and end all of the sport. Personal goals are alot better IMO, and as these go higher, it may be that you aim to win to develope at that particular stage, but not for the sake of winning.

Hope that makes sense!!
smile.gif

burtie

Visit site
I can't deny i love to win, but in Dressage if I don;t get the win then I'm more interested in my % and how well I feel the horse and I did, placings don't particularly interestest me, unless it was a final, regional or championship type thingy.

dieseldog

Visit site
I love competing. When I was younger I had a horse and I knew that every SJ class I entered the worse I was going to do was 3rd, because she was that good. The feeling I used to have back then and the confidence it gave me was incredible, I would take on turns that no one else would even consider because I knew we could do it.

I would love to feel like that again, I'm still competive, if I go clear and I should be going for a DC, I can't resist the temptation of the jump off. I also enter classes that I have no hope of winning though - such as BE and Dressage. But I feel bad about jump unaff stuff or small classes.

If I didn't compete I wouldn't have a horse as I hate hacking. I also in a strange way enjoy the feeling of being totally ill before I go in.

Kelly1982

Visit site
As i only have a baby i dont go out to win, I am happy enough if i feel the round has gone well. Even if i have a couple of knocks i am not bothered if i know she was listening to me and trying her hardest.

If i get placed then that is an added bonus and i am over the moon but just knowing the roung went well and she was on her best behavour is enough for me.

When she starts to know her job a bit more then who knows, the competitive streak might start to rear its ugly head LOL

paintsplat05

Visit site
i used to dread the thought of going to shows, especially jumping and once i got there i would worry myself at the 'scary' jumps my pony would run off or refuse at! i was always ready to have a bash and if it went well i was ecstatic but if it went badly i'd blame it all on myself and beat myself up about it for days but i am competative in other stuff!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Whe we compete we always would like to win but the most important thing for us is that the horse & rider go well. If we are beaten then, we will have been beaten by a better horse/rider combination on the day. There are always positives you can take away with you.

I've seen some riders come out of the ring swearing at & sawing on the horse & blaming it for what was clearly bad riding. One rider I know did this & her instructor was there. The instructor went over & said 'If you want everything to be perfect every time....buy a bloody motorbike'
smile.gif
I think it was very true.

samp

Visit site
Having from an early age having naughty horses/ ponies it was for me the taking part that counts and doing the best I can do on the day. Everyone is competitive and yes it is nice to win.However, I don't throw a strop if I am not placed. If I have done badly then I do curse myself - normally because I ahve done something silly or not be prepared enough.

Done silly things like gone clear XC after having dramas even getting in to the start box to then have a silly run out at the last fence