How cute! Coloured TB foal

shandy133

Visit site
that is so cute. amazing how they can develop the breeds and almost "create" new colors in breeds! thanks for the links, the white horses were almost scary to look at... how can an owner keep a horse that clean!!!??? sam xxx

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Um.....
Did no one notice the date of the article?
'First Foal' is now a three year old!
It was written in Feb 2007 and I believe he was linked to a forum member somehow as someone posted some lovely pics.

meandmyself

Visit site
"I didn't think you could get coloured TBs - just shows how much I know!!!"

Techincally, you can't!
tongue.gif
If he's by I Was Framed, his grandmammy and great grandpappy were quarter horses!

Actually, you can get coloured TBs.

Here's an example of a good coloured TB breeder in the states.

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/

lillith

Visit site
I love colour but personaly I would not buy a cake with really nice icing unless I also liked the cake underneith. :). It is possible to have it all - performance, conformation, temperament AND colour, in that order (my preferance) and in a breeding animal all of the above are very least a horse should have.

The problem with colour breeding is that the colour ends up comming first, if it wouldn't still be worth breeding if it was plain bay (not that I have anything against bays) then don't breed it.

Most 'crop out' coloureds in breeds 'without' patterns are highley expressed sabino or splash, the genes usualy responsible for socks/stars/blazes. The 'pinto' arabians like WA Outrageous or R Khasper are examples of this, if Frame was not in the gene pool before it cannot spontaneously occur. It is a little sus to me that the frame and cream TB's seem to have popped up in america where they have sprint racers (QH) that carry cream and frame regularly. Allthough tbh if they perform then there is no reason why they shouldn't be registered to me.

I am assuming the foal is frame as it looks it and the sires name suggests it?
What white pattern did the homozygous colt have?

angrovestud

Visit site
The Homozygous colt is ours and he is a Tobiano thats the only white dominant colour patten you can get homozygous that you can test for saying that you could get splash in homozygous but you couldnt test for it.
We do not breed for just colour that was the choice we had to make when we got started as if we were breeding for just the colour keeping to Pure TB

we decided to add colour into racehorse( Mares) and it was easier to add the colour to good horses that are already proven on the racetrack.some of ours have won £30,000 plus and are full sisters to winner over £100,000
Our raceboy Angrove RumBaBa is out of a Dr Fong Mare placed , which is out of a Danehill mare and the granddam of the Canadian oaks placed daughter and stakes winner.
hes a photo of our boy off to the trainers tonight to finish being backed

P1010006-2.jpg

Fantasy_World

Visit site
If I remember correctly there was a coloured horse running on the AW in the UK in December. I think it was the first to do so, in the UK at least.
Someone earlier mentioned seeing a horse with white legs running in the UK. The only recent horse that springs to mind is Phillip Hobbs's Pancake. A bright chestnut with four amazingly white legs ( white covers a lot of the leg too) and he has a big white blaze and a patch of white on his belly near the girth area. Very striking horse. Have backed him a few times over hurdles and fences.
If you go to this link and scroll down to Pancake you will see pictures of him.
http://www.turfpix.com/pages/galleries/national_hunt_horses_az.php?gall_id=33

Another horse years ago that I used to follow because of her name and colouring was Apachee Flower a chestnut mare whom I am positive had white spots on her bum, like a blanket spot appaloosa. I saw her in the flesh when she finished second in a race at Newton Abbot in September 1995. She last raced in 2001 and won 5 races over hurdles. I can't find any links to any photographs though. Stuart Howe used to train the mare and he now has one of her offspring ( that he also bred) called Mangonel in training. The chestnut mare started racing in 2008 and actually raced yesterday at Ffos Las where she finished 6th in a 3 mile handicap hurdle ( dam was a staying hurdler).

Last edited:

KarynK

Visit site

angrovestud

Visit site
KarynK thoes photos are brilliant, really shows the chrome, Pancake has to be spash white! what do you think KarynK?
what a big shame hes not a colt what I wouldnt give to breed to him! more spashy horses,
Iwe heard from Rummy trainer this morning he worked well last night on the lounge keeping my fingers crossed.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Here is another coloured Thoroughbred.

" With 100% thoroughbred genetics & pedigree, all fully documented and authenticated, his rare and unique coloured coat pattern has been recorded officially as "Frame Overo". "

iwasf1.jpg

onemoretime

Visit site
I couldn't help noticing in the original picture of the coloured foal, the name of Melanie Phillips who owned I Was Framed. I bought a horse through Melanie about 6 years ago, a lovely bay 2.5 yr old filly 7/8th TB by Nero Astaire she had just come over from Ireland. I then heard after that Melanie was very ill and I wonder if anyone on here knows her as I hope she has fully recovered. Please let me know how she is is you do know her.

Melanie was a pleasure to deal with when I bought this filly, I still have the filly and she is 9 years old now and doing very well at dressage (65 points) and she jumps as well.
She is a sweetheart to do in the stable and a machine when jumping and very elegant when doing her dressage.

Sorry for going of the original thread.

angrovestud

Visit site
Electrum.jpg

And here is another Coloured Thoroughbred 100% genetics and Pedigree he is called Electrum and I think hes with Grooomsbridge stud, and you will get 100% dilute foal from him.hes so nice

Enfys

Visit site
Actually, you can get coloured TBs.

Here's an example of a good coloured TB breeder in the states.

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/

:eek: Yoiks! True Colours is in the States?!! When I was there they were 20 minutes down the road and I am in Ontario.

I wonder what that colt is doing now? Did he get on the track? It would be interesting to see him as a three year old.

KarynK

Visit site
I was wondering that too enfys, I seem to remember him going to the sales?

Angrove I am still on the side of sabino for Pancake, can't find any pictures of his parents but I would probably lump him in with some of the Coolmore horses of recent years, like Giants Causeway and one of their filly's who I think won the guineas?, where the white markings have got more extended. I don't know at which point sabino markings become splash, some breeders do but are keeping quiet which is a shame. Pancake would be a good one to start looking for the TB sabino mutation though.

You will have to keep us posted on Rumy's progress looking forward to his first appearance!

Last edited:

angrovestud

Visit site
I think that somehow Pancake is very similar to color your dash a grandson of Airdrie Apache and son of paint the cat also Dominant white
all to be found on this site lovey lady who I have spoken to as I wa going to send my two girls this year but money is going on Rummys racing so I cant ill have to wait till he wins before I can indulge my passion and breed the UK first Dominant white
he is the link colour your dash is the horse being ridden
http://www.lghbreeding.com/pur-sang-anglais.html

And here is the link to Philip Kirby trainer of Angrove Rum BaBa he is having the BBC film him soon, as part of a programme we are making to go out this Autumn
he was filmed being backed early April and he was very good.

http://www.philipkirbyracing.co.uk/news.html

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I couldn't help noticing in the original picture of the coloured foal, the name of Melanie Phillips who owned I Was Framed. I bought a horse through Melanie about 6 years ago, a lovely bay 2.5 yr old filly 7/8th TB by Nero Astaire she had just come over from Ireland. I then heard after that Melanie was very ill and I wonder if anyone on here knows her as I hope she has fully recovered. Please let me know how she is is you do know her.

Melanie was a pleasure to deal with when I bought this filly, I still have the filly and she is 9 years old now and doing very well at dressage (65 points) and she jumps as well.
She is a sweetheart to do in the stable and a machine when jumping and very elegant when doing her dressage.

Sorry for going of the original thread.

Will PM you later with an update on Melanie.