How did it feel the first time you sat on/rode your babies?

QueenDee_

Visit site
After spending nearly 3 years watching my boy grow up I can't help being excited at the prospect of being able to finally sit on him (hopefully) this coming spring:)

day old:

34050_1403522722317_2710657_n_zps7fa40771.jpg

a few weeks old:

40488_1437511412013_2626132_n_zps5a909723.jpg

beginning of summer 2012:

005_zps4aac4534.jpg

though of course I see him through rose tinted glasses I think hes turning into rather a handsome chap:D will be a special moment the first time i'm on board, especially as we sadly had to have his mom pts this year:( but a piece of her definitely lives in him:)

So how did it feel the first time for any of you?:D piccies welcome ;) or anyone looking forward to their first sit in 2013?:)

noodle_

Visit site
he's lovely :)

oldish pic now but im sitting (and i mean sitting not riding/backing ) on my (will be) 3 year old in decemberish as shes a late foal - i will break her in properly in 2014 spring :)

ggggg.jpg

however if shes not grown enough for even that (evened out a little bit)! then i wont :)

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
It felt like my heart was going to burst! I was so proud that after everything we got to the day where we became a partnership in a different sense. I was nervous, excited and oh so emotional!

I'll try and upload some piccies later as on my phone.

Keep us posted! He is lovely :)

EstherYoung

Visit site
It's so exciting isn't it :)

This is my first sit on Wolf in Sept (making full use of the 'bribery and corruption' method of horse training LOL):
578528_3712199004343_882714006_n.jpg

To be honest it felt like coming home. He's such an unbelievably comfortable ride. He's had a couple of months off and we're about to start him off again so watch this space.... Hopefully he will continue as well as he started - although he'll probably decide to be a cocky little so and so now as he's a big boy and all grown up.

Enjoy...... :)

QueenDee_

Visit site
he's lovely :)

thankyou :D lovely colouring on yours:) only criticism I have of my boy is the fact that I think he has too much white:eek:

It felt like my heart was going to burst! I was so proud that after everything we got to the day where we became a partnership in a different sense. I was nervous, excited and oh so emotional!

I'll try and upload some piccies later as on my phone.

Keep us posted! He is lovely :)

think that's probably how i'll feel :D will almost definitely be a proud mommy post from me when the day comes:eek:

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well I have been doing things slowly, started off leaning over quite a bit but when I sat on her bareback for the first time it was great, I actually did it whilst she ate her hay as I had been building and building up to it.

It was quite a mental hurdle to actually sit astride but we did it, then the other week for the first time I sat astride in a saddle in the school after some leaning over, she was fab, did about 5 steps and was so chuffed left it at that. I am very pleased with her, and a little proud of me for being able to do it, it has been many years since I last backed a horse and age has lessened my confidence.
Will do some very simple stuff this weekend again, more than 5 steps I hope!

Here we are the other day, first sit on in a saddle in the school
031-6_zps68e8a119.jpg

Rebels

Visit site
Absolutely terrified! Was and still is the sharpest horse I have ever met and resisted every attempt with the more I did the worse he became, kept going out for little holidays and was about to go to an behaviourist when I decided to try sitting on in the stable where he felt safe (oh and bareback so the saddle couldn't eat him). Never ever sat so still in my life! Sat whilst he ate his special treat of a haylage net, slipped off and built from there :) (over 18 months before he would canter without bolting, didn't like me in his eye line, should gone eventing this year). The next one was tonnes better, sat on, he walked off like a Dobbin so I called trot, he did, I called canter, he did, shouted whoa and plodded back to stables in shock!! So chuffed.

Springy

Visit site
thankyou :D lovely colouring on yours:) only criticism I have of my boy is the fact that I think he has too much white:eek:

Deffo not too much white,

he is very similar to my previous horse a NRPS mare.

I cant wait to sit on Spring for the first time, she is wintering away at the stud still being a baby at the minute :)

QueenDee_

Visit site
he is very similar to my previous horse a NRPS mare.

I cant wait to sit on Spring for the first time, she is wintering away at the stud still being a baby at the minute :)

hes a TB x WB so i'm hoping for a nice all-rounder :) however he still has his baby tendencies so it will all depend on how hes looking/acting come spring :eek:

dollymix

Visit site
Aw he is lovely :)

It was one of the best feelings in the world getting on my girl for the first time. I bred her and did everything myself. Here are a few pics...

As a foal
IMGP0968.jpg

Her second time at a show as a yearling
Lunaatwelshshowaug06.jpg

The first time I sat on her....naughty I know to be on the lane, but she was soooo good, i decided to ride her to the ford and back :)
Photo-0029.jpg

And her first time cross country schooling!
DSC_0125.jpg

Fools Motto

Visit site
Will be backing my baby pony (3 in April) sometime this summer. She may only be small at 13 hand ish , but she is a fiesty filly, and hopefully her New Forest part will mean she can take me, when the time comes.
However, if I feel I'm too heavy at the time, then I have 2 other lighter adults waiting to hop on!

Should add, that I backed my mare and have since gone BE eventing and everything else with her. She has been a total gem, and it still feels good, some 13 years later to say 'I did that on my own, with no help'!

Last edited:

ladyt25

Visit site
It did feel a bit odd for me as I was expecting a reaction (and didn't get one!)

Here's how mine started out (pic courtesy of previous owner -I got him aged 15 mths)

babyrocky.jpg

First in hand show aged 2 years

rockyshowpic.jpg

First Sit on (apologise for darkness of pic!) Sister bribing just in case!

rocky1stsitaug20122.jpg

First hack out aged 3 yo (just prior to Xmas 2012) Yep, he's very hairy and pretty dirty!

1sthack1.jpg

So far so good, he's hacked out 3 times now - on the same little hack - the steering's coming along and we even attempted a little on-verge canter at the weekend! I have never backed a horse before but it is a great experience so far!

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
I sort of did it by accident. The horses graze a track during the day and I go and fetch them at dusk.I had had a glass of wine and did not fancy walking back up the hill to bring them home.......so I decided to jump on the youngster(aided by a gate)and she carried me home. Have since had a few more sessions in the garden.This time with a bridle rather than just a headcollar.
561149_2916749017075_1571855721_n-1.jpg

I remember the apprehension when I backed my other horse. He was big and athletic enough back then! I only had a field to work in so I took several milk crates and stacked them up. He stood there while I gingerly leant across.He stood there while I swung my leg over.........dislodging the pile of milk crates and sending them clattering to the ground. I remember laying on his withers thinking 'Now the SHTF' but he just stood there!
Moral is: Do your preparations(either groundwork or a glass of wine!) and it will be inconsequential for them.

ladyt25

Visit site
ladyt25 - isn't he smart with his 4 white stockings :eek:

Thank you! I do like them but if only they would stay white!!! Sadly he LOVES the mud and at the moment they are very very brown! ha ha

I do not envy you with all that white. Lovwly little horse though but then I do like my coloureds :)

Buds_mum

Visit site
The best feeling in the entire world :)
First ever sit on him with a little walk
247836_10150331790724989_6991070_n.jpg

This was his first ever walk out down the road. Such a super star :D
260462_235072196506166_7928220_n.jpg

Its just about all the firsts, first trot, hack, solo hack, canter, show, outing, hunt, jump ect ect. Its all so rewarding!! And goes on and on.

I adore that everything me and Buds have achieved is due to my hard work and dedication. And the fact that he is perfection on four hoofs! :D

Crackerz

Visit site
I've done so many that i don't feel anything on the whole.
I was excited about getting on Alfie though, first one I've done in while that I've had since a foal.

frannieuk

Visit site
I sat on my 3.5yo on NYE for the first time :D I got her in October as an unbacked and rather scrawny import and she's coming along nicely with a sharp but sweet temperament. Was a great feeling to sit up there and feel how calm and confident she was about it all, and I can't wait to see her come on :D

Some lovely looking youngsters in this thread, and I bet it's extra special when it's a horse you've had from a foal or bred yourself.

Law

Visit site
It was amazing. I know i might get jumped on for my approach but I knew this little horse inside out and had 100% conviction in believing he wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'd put the time and work in relationship building and leaning over him.
DSC_9657.jpg

First hack (down the yard's private driveway)
photo_zps4b8334d2.jpg

First XC lesson
tazlikeswater_zps885db81e.jpg

Sprocket123

Visit site
I always find it exciting :) im always so proud ( or very pleased i wasnt dumped :D) my filly will be 3 in march so she ll be done in summer, shes come a long way from the wild little thing i brought makes all the time and effort worth it :)

Charem

Visit site
For most of them it was pretty non-descript. After spending a week or so leaning over I got on and off we went. With my feral pony though it was a special moment as was every other 'first' she did. Now seeing photos of her out jumping in aff classes with a little jockey just makes me burst with pride. Bleeding love that little pony!

rowy

Visit site
I love it! Have since become a little addicted to the feeling and have backed one horse each year for the last 3 years!

One of the first sits on mr spott bott (my first ever backing experience)
IAN_3527-1.jpg

One of the first sits on Lola bean
016.jpg

and Inka who I backed in October 2012 (just sat on 3 times) and is now starting a bit of proper ridden work:
085.jpg

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I had had a lightweight rider on mine on the lunge a couple of times before I got on, but I was in the school just playing with her and decided to get on to see what happened. I'm trying to upload the video to photobucket so that I can post it, but it's taking forever - if it uploads, I'll post it. She didn't bother at all, walked and trotted round, and on New Years morning I took her for her first hack totally alone - I love her, she is totally fab! However she still seems to have quite a lot of growing to do, so will only be lightly hacked once or twice a week for the next few months until she matures.....