How did my first pony survive life

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes, but horses were considered veterans at 16 and were usually past work by 20! Horses that were turned away frequently didn't come sound and were shot. People forget that side of things when they idealise the "good old days". We started riding as adults and were shown this amazing horse that was still doing cross country at 16. No one would find this worthy of note now.
To a certain extent yes, but plenty of horses are put down now after failing to come right. And a 16yo still eventing at a decent level well now would be considered to be doing well, and that's without eventing these days demanding the level of aerobic fitness (that is the hardest thing to keep high in an older horse) that it did before on the old format.

There are certainly ailments that are more treatable now, but that is more to do with advances in veterinary medicine than general management.

Kaylum

Visit site
It's amazing how many ponies used to live on bread 😁
A woman used to bring buns, bread and coissants over for the horses that the bakery were throwing away. We loved them and so did the horses 🤣 Never did they have colic. I wouldn't dare feed them those nowadays.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Another who had amazingly sound and competent horses in the ‘80s. Growing up we thought the bees knees was anything from Britain. Any knowledge or ways of doing things had to automatically better if it was from the UK.

Our horses were kept out 24/7, grass fed, on the hills, one canvas rug in the winter and ridden 6 days a week for farm work, pony club, hunting, shows, trail riding. They were fit. I was young and super fit which also helped. Our farm vet practice managed the horses as well as the sheep, cows, deer and working dogs. My horses had the standard cuts that needed stitching, seedy toe, abscesses and one colic that resolved itself in the 40mins it took for the vet to arrive. Nothing more serious than that though.

Then I moved to the UK in my 20s. Horse keeping wasn’t quite what I thought it was going to be! The UK had moved on, whilst in NZ I think we were using 1970’s UK practices.

I feel like we are now coming back to those traditional practices. Keeping our horses out 24/7, on the hills, in herds, prioritising exercise and moving away from ultra processed feeds for better results.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Another who had amazingly sound and competent horses in the ‘80s. Growing up we thought the bees knees was anything from Britain. Any knowledge or ways of doing things had to automatically better if it was from the UK.

Our horses were kept out 24/7, grass fed, on the hills, one canvas rug in the winter and ridden 6 days a week for farm work, pony club, hunting, shows, trail riding. They were fit. I was young and super fit which also helped. Our farm vet practice managed the horses as well as the sheep, cows, deer and working dogs. My horses had the standard cuts that needed stitching, seedy toe, abscesses and one colic that resolved itself in the 40mins it took for the vet to arrive. Nothing more serious than that though.

Then I moved to the UK in my 20s. Horse keeping wasn’t quite what I thought it was going to be! The UK had moved on, whilst in NZ I think we were using 1970’s UK practices.

I feel like we are now coming back to those traditional practices. Keeping our horses out 24/7, on the hills, in herds, prioritising exercise and moving away from ultra processed feeds for better results.

This is fascinating, because in the 80s the generic name for any outdoor rug in the UK was a "New Zealand".

Bloody heavy canvas things you could barely lift when wet!

ycbm

Visit site
I think moving away from straw had an impact too. "Back in the day" you could give a good doer a couple of sections of hay knowing that they could pick at their (clean) straw bed. Now on all the other beddings when hay is gone they stand empty.

I deliberately keep Charlie on straw now and there have been many occasions when I've seen him take a pick of some straw when he has good hay available. I think he is balancing nutrients or fibre levels, as it varies with the different bales of hay.

That has to be good for his health, surely?

ycbm

Visit site
I’m pretty sure that if HHO online had existed in the 1980s there would have been dozens of threads bemoaning standards of modern horsemanship and how horses are kept these days and how it was so much better back in the 1930s/40s 😉

Absolutely. In those "good old days" I was taught to deal with a horse who blew out when you did up his girth by sticking my knee hard into his belly.

Had horse prices that dropped as soon as the horse hit double figures because of the limited life left in it. Highest price for a riding club horse that knew its job was at age 8.

Learnt at a riding school that taught everyone to ride in chair seat.

Saw white marks at the wither from badly fitting saddles on so many horses it wasn't worth a comment.

I could go on ....

Smogul

Visit site
I deliberately keep Charlie on straw now and there have been many occasions when I've seen him take a pick of some straw when he has good hay available. I think he is balancing nutrients or fibre levels, as it varies with the different bales of hay.

That has to be good for his health, surely?
Maybe. Our vet commented that he sees far fewer horses with "the heaves" as it was known, with the move away from straw. Also, fewer impaction colics from horses eating their bedding.

cariadbach10

Visit site
This is fascinating, because in the 80s the generic name for any outdoor rug in the UK was a "New Zealand".

This is still the case in some larger studs in the UK. I phoned up the huge racing stud we bought a broodmare from ahead of her arrival to check on her current rugging arrangements and feed routine.
Me: Is she rugged?
Stud manager: Yes. New Zealand rug.
Me: Okay- what weight?
Stud Manager- it’s a New Zealand rug. No neck.
Me- Ermmm, okay. And is she on and hard feed.
Stud Manager- Stud nuts.
Me- Great! Any particular brand.
Stud manager (now irritated)- just stud nuts.

So, yunno. The 80s lives on!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We still keep our horses very much 'au naturel'. They live out all year round only rugged in really vicious weather, minimal feed, token amount of Fast fibre and Speedibeet and hay only if snow on the ground. When I go into our local saddlers I feel totally out of place, so much choice of everything and all so expensive. Admittedly we don't ride any more but we wouldn't change much if we did.

paddy555

Visit site
Maybe. Our vet commented that he sees far fewer horses with "the heaves" as it was known, with the move away from straw. Also, fewer impaction colics from horses eating their bedding.
absolutely. Far less dust for both the owner and the horse.

Burnerbee

Visit site
Taking it further back - a lot further - I often wonder how horses ‘in the old days’ survived….like 100+ years ago … No posh food, rugs barely a thing, vets barely a thing and then only for the lords and ladies horses, tack probably terrible… I think the answer is they generally suffered =(

SEL

Visit site

I worked in NZ briefly a long time ago. It was raining (a lot) & the lady I was riding for asked what we put on horses in the UK. When I said a NZ rug she looked very, very confused.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I don't think horses were more sound 'back then'. I just think we're much better at spotting lameness now. We have so much information at our fingertips - videos on how to see it, articles of what to watch out for, etc. I look back at ponies/horses I had 'just' 20 years ago and cringe at how ignorant I must have been to certain things.

marmalade76

Visit site
I don't think horses were more sound 'back then'. I just think we're much better at spotting lameness now. We have so much information at our fingertips - videos on how to see it, articles of what to watch out for, etc. I look back at ponies/horses I had 'just' 20 years ago and cringe at how ignorant I must have been to certain things.

I must admit there are things I regret, feel guilty about, wish I'd done better..

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I honestly think i'd be the opposite. This pony of mine imo had a great life actually. The fields were so interesting with the streams, hills and forest bits. So much nicer than the postage stamp individual, often very restricted turnout we see now.
Although there was a big mixed herd he had his own little gang of friends he was always hanging out with. He was never bored, never over fed, never stood in bored.
I had great Y/M's (a couple) who, although very DIY they would organise things like worming routines, dentals etc so he had the general care that i may not have known about back then. They were also always on hand to advise and help if I ever asked.
I don't think any one every really argued or bitched at each other, maybe due to the diversity. The youngest was a 5 yr old girl and the eldest a man in his 70's. I loved it.
I would love to find a yard like that again.

marmalade76

Visit site
I honestly think i'd be the opposite. This pony of mine imo had a great life actually. The fields were so interesting with the streams, hills and forest bits. So much nicer than the postage stamp individual, often very restricted turnout we see now.
Although there was a big mixed herd he had his own little gang of friends he was always hanging out with. He was never bored, never over fed, never stood in bored.
I had great Y/M's (a couple) who, although very DIY they would organise things like worming routines, dentals etc so he had the general care that i may not have known about back then. They were also always on hand to advise and help if I ever asked.
I don't think any one every really argued or bitched at each other, maybe due to the diversity. The youngest was a 5 yr old girl and the eldest a man in his 70's. I loved it.
I would love to find a yard like that again.

Totally agree that the accommodation most owners/yards provide has gone downhill like nobody's business. Mine lived out all year on hilly ground with springs, streams, trees & bushes when my children were little and they cost me next to nothing to keep, very little work to do and they were never happier.