How did you decide your horse was the one?

oscarwild

Visit site
I wasn't really looking for a horse at the time, but my YO got some horses in to sell on behalf of the owner. She came out the lorry and I thought oh another chestnut tb. I was asked to ride her so they could see how she went and although she was a little nappy I absolutely fell in love with her and when I got off told the YO that I was going to buy her. I would never of gone and viewed her if I was looking for a horse as I have never really liked tb's and chestnut was my least favourite colour. But I'm so glad I rode her that day and bought her as she has been the kindest, sweetest mare that always tries her hardest in everything that we do. Best thing I ever did. I just knew she was the horse for me.

sarahann1

Visit site
What is making you dither? Is it the fact that she's female? Or something else?

If it really is only her gender that's holding you back then here's a *slap* for being sexist. If it's something else, then maybe she's not right for you.

Lol, I wish I knew what it was, just can't quite put my finger on it.

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories and experiences, you've all given me lots to think about! It's interesting some of you buy with your heads, my head is saying 'yes', my gut is saying 'erm, erm, not sure'.

I've managed to get a lesson with her booked for Monday, my instructor is the no nonsense, plain speaking type, if we're not a match she'll soon let me know!

Thanks again folks, will keep this updated :)

Spotsrock

Visit site
He didn't bite me, didn't drop me and was so unhappy but desperate to be loved.
I fell for him. Cried myself sick about leaving him, 9 months later he was mine and the grumpiest face is solved with a cuddle. He's a big cranky moke! I still pinch myself that he's mine after 2 years.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I've just bought my new one, I'd been to see him and he needs lots of work, I saw another one a couple of days later - probably would have gone straight into the job I wanted him to do but as I rode him all I was doing was comparing him to the bright bay, on paper the older one would be better (probably) but I'm very happy with what's grazing outside this evening. I won't be able to tell you for six months whether it was the right decision!

Antw23uk

Visit site
"Grey we think?...." was the response I got ten days ago when I turned up at the yard to be told I was going to look at a horse that day but they weren't sure how big (they knew over 16h) or what colour he was.
I had my beautiful TB pts a few days before (end of March) and had been away for the weekend but knew I wanted to horse hunt straight away so through word of mouth my yard owner and head groom had found a hunter that they knew was for sale.

I rode a rather amazing Dutch WB 1.40 horse that morning at the yard and then we went off to see this hunter a few miles away. When we turned up it turned out he was the Hunt Masters lead horse for the farmers bloodhounds but wasn't quiet brave enough (which means he is brave, just not stupidly brave, lol) and hence was for sale. He was grey, 16.1 and 8 yrs old IDx and I rode him but to be honest he didn't blow me away and I thought he lacked character he was soooo polite and mannerly which of course these hunters have to be and so different from my TB ...

I was told he would be perfect for me and of course he wouldn't have blown me away having just ridden Toby that morning, who does blow you away :eek: So I went back a day later for a hack, decided he was a nice horse and would hold his value if we didn't click so brought him.

That was ten days ago and I have to say he is pretty awesome already. I feel guilty I'm falling for him, Giz had my heart and I'm still mourning him but this guy is pretty special and after todays hack round the woods I just know we are going to get along just great :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, this niggle you have is perhaps what I had. People said I shouldn't buy the first horse I see but to be honest what difference does it matter, he is, on paper perfect for me and even loading him on the lorry and handing my cash over I kept thinking that this wasn't going to work but already in ten days he has boosted my confidence, shown a little of his character and when I ride him I just don't want to get off so I know I have done the right thing already ;)

From today .....
IMG_2287_zps2da127a0.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
when I was thirteen, I got my first pony, he was a jogger, and fiery, but safe... he was also a little bit broken.... I cant really explain... it was just a lightening bolt and that was that. At a later date, I met ebony, I always said she looked like the Jerry Hall of the horse world :D she was firey, highly strung, wouldnt stand still, sharp, nuts.... I got ditched the first time I rode her when she spooked at a bicycle, but again there was a vulnerability, she was 7 and so incredibly green, what can I say, it was a lightening bolt again.

With ben, I owned him from a foal, at the age of three, I loved him, but I still had not bonded with him. I didnt know how he would ride, and I still had my wonderful horse Ebony and a bond with her stronger than ever. The day ebony was PTS , he fell apart and it broke my heart, that day he became MY horse, I dont actually think from then on it mattered how he would be to ride or what his temprament would be, i would have kept him anyway, but luckilly our bond just continues to strengthen day by day... he blows me away and proves to me what an amazing horse he is and how well suited we are.

Looking back its always been an aspect of vulnerability that has done it for me and my horses.

Nessa4

Visit site
I had spent nearly a year travelling miles to look for a 15-15.2, leg-at-each corner,middle aged confidence giving cob. Went to a friend's farm, where she breeds trads and trad crosses. Met a yearling colt and was seeing if I could pick up his feet (I Could!) and as I straightened up he very gently rested his chin on my shoulder and blew in my ear! And that dear reader is how I ended up with a baby coloured gelding (he's now nearly three, 15.3, built like a brick outhouse, and nearly ready for backing) in need of a total education. He is far from what I thought I wanted (or needed) and life is going to get even more nteresting, but I love him to bits, and have since we met. The age difference is a bit daunting (I'm in my sixties), but hell, life is too short to wimp out!

Think what I am trying to say is you will know when it's the right one for you - ticking boxes is not the be-all and end-all.

NZJenny

Visit site
In the worse possible way - gut feeling. Of the four that I own, I have bred two and bought two and they were purchased as youngsters. Ardashir I first saw as a week old foal and "liked" him from day dot. Trying to be sensible, I waited until he was six months old until I told the breeder I wanted him. He was a bit of a juvenile delinquent but he will be 16 this year, so he was obviously "the one".

Maggie, I found on Trade Me and loved her from the photo, but was gutted when I went and saw her. The photo had been taken when she was about 12 months old, and she was 16 months when I viewed her and had gone off terribly. But she moved right and was priced right and I figured I could always sell her on if it didn't work out. That was 12 months ago and she will be staying.

I think the key is to realise that perfection doesn't exist and every horse will be unique and you have to love and accept them for what they are, not what you wish they would be. My four are all completely different, but special in their own ways and that is what makes them all "the one".

Emby

Visit site
When I bought my horse, I wasn't convinced she was 'the one'. she was supposed to be a share for me and my daughter and my daughter loved her and SHE was convinced she was 'the one'.
As far as I was concerned, she ticked all the boxes but didn't make my heart sing.
So after she'd passed a vetting we bought her. My daughter fell off her a few weeks later and she became mine!
She is now my horse of a lifetime!! It took about 8 months before she and I really 'clicked' but once we did there was no looking back.

Feebee-Friesian

Visit site
I went looking for a Dun Highland gelding age 4-10. Came back with a grey highland mare aged 11. Got the Highland part right. She is my horse of a lifetime and could not ever think of parting with her. She is firery and forward going to ride, jumps like a stag, great to handle on the ground, nothing fazes her out hacking. Confidence rushes over you as soon as you get on. I could gush about this mare all day but people have lives to lead. :p although I must add the first time I looked over the stable door I thought "just another grey highland" but I am proved wrong every day. Love her to pieces.

rosie-ellie

Visit site
I was looking for a youngster, wanted a mare 15.2ish black. Went to view a few and saw this coloured colt at foot thought he was ok but nipped really bad. Low and behold we ended up buying him a coloured warmblood x ID which will end up about 16h + and a colt. I think you know in your heart when the right one comes along

Lottiedots

Visit site
Having recently bought a new horse I know how your feel. Saw lots that should be right but heart said no. I found second visit the best one as those niggles became more apparent. With the two that I really liked those niggles went as soon as i saw them again. Love my new boy, trust your instinct !

Jam_Jar

Visit site
Soon as I trotted her! Something just clicked and as I went past my friend I smiled, nodded as if to say 'this is the one!' and she's my horse of a lifetime. I'm actually terrified to ride her at the moment due to being an incredibly nervous rider, but when I thought about it there isn't another horse out there I would want to ride more. That's why she's my one in a millon.

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks again everyone :)

Had my lesson on her last night, it was good, she's willing, responsive, tries for you, but she's not the horse for me,the niggle didn't go away.

My instructor really helped me work out what the niggle is though, she's much finer than I normally ride, and I just don't feel right on such a fine horse. She has a couple of minor conformational issues that my instructor went through the potential pitfalls of too.

The search goes on, I want a def want a horse with a bit more bone about it.

Felt guilty telling her owner for some reason, but thankfully she was fine about it.