How difficult to find a reliable groom?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I think it is a good thing to look after your groom BUT if you look to desperate to keep them that is when they have you over a barrel. I know this from bitter experience. It simply doesn’t pay to totally rely on one person and have them very aware of that fact.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Having shared my own groom nightmare, now for the other side of the coin. I helped a young friend 20 years ago to get a job when she relocated, she ended up working for a reasonably well known eventer who thought it was perfectly acceptable to start early and finish at ten at night, as a special treat if she had a dinner party, she would expect her grooms to be kitchen skivies and wash up and clean up after her friends. Add in not paying her grooms the agreed amount and relying on them being too young and naive to badger her, throw in changeable days off, as in telling them that night that tomorrow’s your day off or cancelling a day off with the same notice. When I realised what a complete nightmare it was I got her out of there.

sport horse

Visit site
Having shared my own groom nightmare, now for the other side of the coin. I helped a young friend 20 years ago to get a job when she relocated, she ended up working for a reasonably well known eventer who thought it was perfectly acceptable to start early and finish at ten at night, as a special treat if she had a dinner party, she would expect her grooms to be kitchen skivies and wash up and clean up after her friends. Add in not paying her grooms the agreed amount and relying on them being too young and naive to badger her, throw in changeable days off, as in telling them that night that tomorrow’s your day off or cancelling a day off with the same notice. When I realised what a complete nightmare it was I got her out of there.

I think we have all heard of these type of employers. Generally speaking you see them advertise - a lot! - and no one stays too long. I too have helped previous girls out of bad jobs. One quite recently who was offered a full time job. When she got there she was told she would be self employed. Several days she was sent home for a couple of hours because 'there was not much to do' which is fine but they did not pay for those hours and they then offered her DIY keep for her horse but planned to deduct just £10/month less than she was paying for part livery elsewhere! I told her to keep her horse where it was so that she was able to up and go when a good job came along. It did, with a lovely family. She is very happy, her horse is kept and she is helped with it. She is currently abroad with them too. Another good employer.

There aare good and bad all over the world. The bad will get known and when there are shortages they will go without. Quite right too.

BOWS28

Visit site
I have done holiday cover previously after being made redundant. I have to say, i would never do it again full time as the way i was treated was pretty appalling. Not by every client, but the bad outweighed the good unfortunately. One lady asked me to ride her 3 warmblood geldings at a beautiful DIY yard 3 times a week. We agreed a price and i rode them as arranged. The first week she paid no problem, the second, she asked if i could also muck out, prepare haynets and make up the feeds. Not a problem, all jobs were done as i was asked. Although, payment never arrived. Horses were turned out on a holiday and the lady disappeared off the face of the earth for 3 weeks. When i finally got hold of her, she refused to pay and said i had done the yard duties in return for letting me ride her horses!!! I was mortified as i had a hefty vet bill to pay and she owed me a fair bit of money...

On the other hand, i did some house sitting for a lovely couple that kept their horses at home. Easiest horses to do as they were free range with the open stables to use if they wished. All 4 horses were perfectly behaved, as were the cat and the dog. The house is absolutely beautiful and the people are just two of the nicest people i've ever met. She would always pay me half in advance and the rest when they returned. Always left the house with a full fridge of food and wine in the cooler!! :p Even though i work full time now, i still house sit for them and look after the whole gang of animals. The good clients are always sooo worth keeping hold of!!

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I work in an office Tues-Thurs but will work for my yard owner and get £12.50 per hour (increasing to £15 next month). It's a small private yard so doesn't take long but I do all jobs how they are supposed to be done. I have had to call in sick on occasion - once as I was in hospital - but other than that, always give notice for holidays and cover. The way I see it is my YO is more than happy to pay more for a good service, and in return, can expect that. This doesn't include lunging/grooming/exercise services which are charged on top

Along with having my own, I have a level 1 diploma in horse care and management, my BHS stage 1, Ride Safe and equine first aid and am studying for my L2 diploma, stage 2 BHS and a diploma in equine psychology so like to think I have the basics covered well so NMW just would not really suffice. I think if you are being trained as part of it - maybe an apprentice groom - NMW is fair as you are having time spent too but on your own, as others have said, you would want to be £12 p/h at least, with a potential of offering to pay travel if they are coming a good distance. The more qualified the groom too, the more you can expect to pay