How do/did you decide on methd of euthanasia and disposal?

abbijay

Visit site
I currently have a perfectly healthy horse but if I ever need to make this decision I would love to have prepared for it and make an informed choice rather than being coerced and regretting it.
Is anyone willing to enlighten me how they would like their best friend to end their days and why you would go for that option?
Cheers

fatpiggy

Visit site
I chose the needle because I don't like sudden bangs of any description, my horse hated guns and could spot one anywhere and I didn't want to ruin her lovely face. She was sedated then injected and once she was down didn't even flinch again. I stayed with her throughout and knowing that she had gone gently and with dignity meant the world to me because that is what she deserved. I've nothing really against the bullet and I think in an emergency with a distressed animal I would choose it, just for the speed. Disposal was a group cremation with no ashes returned because I cannot see the point of having a large box of what looks like the contents of the Hoover under my bed for the next 20 years because I could't let her go. A dead body is just a broken down car. What makes your animal YOUR animal is not in there any more so why keep it?

Take a look at Youtube and you will find some videos of horses being put down by injection. They may help you make your decision.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
The first horse I had PTS was slightly headshy, so I opted for injection.

Having seen how quick & peaceful it was for him, I chose the same for my old boy, but the decision was also for me as I couldn't bear the thought of all the blood from him being shot.

Both times the local knackerman came & collected for cremation. I didn't have them individually done as I believe when you're dead, you're dead and I wasn't interested in scattering ashes anywhere.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I have had 2 horses pts both by injection, one because he lost sight in his eyes making him a bit headshy if he was unsure and the other was a headshaker so again easier by injection. My current horse i would probably have to have shot as he is needle phobic, but my personal preference is injection both went very quickly and peacefully.

Boxers

Visit site
I had heard some horror stories about the injection and as a hunt supporter I opted for the huntsman to come out and shoot my horse. I stood with my horse for a moment, made sure his head was in a bucket of apples and carrots and then went and stood out of sight. The huntsman had brought another man with him and I heard the shot. It made me jump and I burst into tears at that point. They loaded my horse onto their truck and so i did not see his body leave. A friend of mine was standing nearby and confirmed to me that it had been instant, he kindly shovelled up the soiled earth and spread clean on the area, and The next day when I went near, i could see no trace.

I would definitely use this option if I had to do it again.
By the way, this was a planned pts not an emergency.

Fiona_C

Visit site
something I've been wondering about for a while, but never got round to asking / looking into further.

Do any of the vet practices/hospitals take dead horses for students to look at ?

I don't like the idea of my boys going to the hunt as they've never hunted, cremation is all very well, but not something I've really thought about in great depth. However, youngest daughter is (dependant upon grades when she leaves school) hoping to get into veterinary of some degree, the idea that students can look at /dissect and dispose of however they deem necessary is an idea that I've been toying with and would feel that they would have a purpose after life.

blood_magik

Visit site
I chose to have Jerry cremated - his ashes came back this morning.

As for injection vs bullet, I think I would choose injection. I don't think I could be there - Call me selfish but I'd rather my last memory be them grazing happily.

happyclappy

Visit site
mine was shot. vets and my preference for a painfree and instant release. my mare as xtremely ill and dying an fining a vein may - may - have been a little difficult although unlikely.

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
something I've been wondering about for a while, but never got round to asking / looking into further.

Do any of the vet practices/hospitals take dead horses for students to look at ?

I don't like the idea of my boys going to the hunt as they've never hunted, cremation is all very well, but not something I've really thought about in great depth. However, youngest daughter is (dependant upon grades when she leaves school) hoping to get into veterinary of some degree, the idea that students can look at /dissect and dispose of however they deem necessary is an idea that I've been toying with and would feel that they would have a purpose after life.

Cambridge University Vets School do take horses for dissection/autopsy training I think, for their students to learn with. I would imagine that if the horse had an unusual illness/growth etc they would be more interested in taking it. I've always thought I would approach Veterinary Teaching Hospitals if/when I have mine pts.

Emby

Visit site
Whilst I am currently the owner of a healthy 9 year old this subject bothers me a lot. My first horse was pts by injection and it was very calm, peaceful and gentle.
I am VERY anti having them shot (not knocking anyone who chooses this method - but I could never have this done to my girl)
But my lovely girl is very nervous of the vet and needle phobic and this worries me a lot when I allow myself to think about it.
Obviously I'm hoping it will be many years before I have to make a decision on this subject but just seeing the state she gets into having her annual vaccinations really upsets me.

sarahann1

Visit site
This is something I've thought about a bit over recent years, I thought my wee cob was going a couple of years back and it's not looking ideal for my big lad just now.

I've held one horse put down by injection, he went peacefully enough, no dramas, tiniest bit of a twitch was all, he was really quite ill and I think he was gone before he hit the ground.

His body went with Douglas Brae our local knackerman.

I've known a few to go to the hunt over the years, never known any to be shot on the yard.

I think personally I'd chose injection for my own two.

I have no problem with them going to the knackerman, I agree with the person who said once they're dead, what makes them, 'them' is gone. I wouldn't want ashes back etc.

Something to consider OP, is having the monies ready to pay for it. Our local knackerman is payment on collection, I think around £80-140 depending on the size of horse.

I think vet fees can come to around £200.

Let's hope you don't have to worry about any of this for a long time to come. But always good to be informed.

pokerface

Visit site
Whilst I am currently the owner of a healthy 9 year old this subject bothers me a lot. My first horse was pts by injection and it was very calm, peaceful and gentle.
I am VERY anti having them shot (not knocking anyone who chooses this method - but I could never have this done to my girl)
But my lovely girl is very nervous of the vet and needle phobic and this worries me a lot when I allow myself to think about it.
Obviously I'm hoping it will be many years before I have to make a decision on this subject but just seeing the state she gets into having her annual vaccinations really upsets me.

Sedalin, first or acp tablets

Spottyappy

Visit site
I had always had horses shot as years ago,that was the only option, I didn't particularly like it.
I had my boy pts two years ago by injection,it was swift, no more than 30 seconds, and no different to having say, a cat pts.
This week, a friend had to have a mare pts. Her vet only did injection, and so captive bullet (her preferred choice) was not an option. The vet warned us, due to the particular illness the mare had, the injection would take longer to work. She was not joking. She also had to get a second syringe when the mare still hadn't gone after a couple of minutes. It must have taken about 6 minutes all told, and although the mare went down quickly, the whole process took much longer than I had previously experienced.
The knackerman took her, cost £165 because they can't use the meat due to the method of euthanasia. He had previously charged £95 when he came and usd a captive bullet on another horse, as the meat can be used.
Horrible subject, but you are being a responsible owner, op.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wish every horse owner had the foresight to decide in advance how they would deal with an emergency requiring pts, not just the method but making sure that there is somewhere available to d the deed, where the removal truck can get in easily. Even those who don't intend to keep their horse into old-age may need to make a decision after an accident/illness.

Our first horse had a field accident and was taken back to the yard by the farmer who just automatically called for the knackerman when he heard the vet's verdict. Sis and I stayed with the horse until they were ready to remove the body and then the farmer very kindly dealt with everything else, including washing down the yard, as there was a great deal of blood - this is many years ago.
The next horse we had to have pts was injected and it was a horrible experience for all concerned.
We have opted to have almost every other horse shot either by the knacker, who is now the Equine Crematorium, or the hunt. Nowadays there is only a tiny amount of blood - we have had Labradors out on the yard less than an hour after we have cleaned up and they haven't bothered. One other - a big ID with septicaemia was pts by injection in an emergency by the attending vet, partly because of a breakdown in communication - the knacker came without the gun, she thought she was only removing the body - and again the horse struggled to remain upright and took a 2nd syringe of lethal injection, unpleasant for every-one there.

I dislike the idea of having the horse sedated as ime they dislike the feeling and some react very badly. All those who have been shot have had their head in a bucket of their favourite feed and hit the ground with a mouthful. Their death has been instant, they have known nothing about it, which I believe has to be better for them.
I agree that once the 'spirit' has gone, I have no further need of the empty shell, so have never asked for the ashes back. And I have to say, that I would rather put the cost of individual cremation towards the purchase price of the next horse.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I chose the needle because I don't like sudden bangs of any description, my horse hated guns and could spot one anywhere and I didn't want to ruin her lovely face. She was sedated then injected and once she was down didn't even flinch again. I stayed with her throughout and knowing that she had gone gently and with dignity meant the world to me because that is what she deserved. I've nothing really against the bullet and I think in an emergency with a distressed animal I would choose it, just for the speed. Disposal was a group cremation with no ashes returned because I cannot see the point of having a large box of what looks like the contents of the Hoover under my bed for the next 20 years because I could't let her go. A dead body is just a broken down car. What makes your animal YOUR animal is not in there any more so why keep it?

Take a look at Youtube and you will find some videos of horses being put down by injection. They may help you make your decision.

This basically.......all four of mine have gone peacefully and quickly with injection.

sunnyone

Visit site
I've used both the knackerman and the vet by injection and prefer the former. Our local man is extremely professional, sorts his trailer out into an appropriate position, then makes friends with the horse before producing a tasty bucket of hard feed. Horse puts head in bucket, he puts gun to head and horse falls. Plastic bag goes over head as horse falls, so no mess.
The bang may be loud but the horse is totally unaware and it would be my choice for myself, if it were possible.
In one case the other 3 horses stood and watched the entire procedure and barely moved away from their field fence when the shot went off. This helped them understand why their friend was not coming back.
The knacker also takes the body there and then, unlike the vet..The 2 who remained after the 3rd was injected remained rooted to the spot where she had lain for days after.

suestowford

Visit site
It's a very good idea to plan for this as when the day comes you may not be able to think straight/make a decision. But you also need to consider that you might need to change your plan, for instance if (like a previous poster) your horse becomes too ill to find a vein. Or you can't get hold of the hunt and your vet doesn't have a gun.
I've had one injected, it was for my benefit more than anything else. I didn't want to see him shot and I didn't want to leave him. It was quick, the vet was very good. My friend had one shot, the man from the hunt did it. Again, very quick and efficiently done.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Gun for mine, I had one injected (not by choice) and it went badly wrong. Far worse than any horror story I've heard on here! Plus one of mine is needle phobic. I usually use the local knackerman, for want of a better word, very experienced, quiet and gentle. They shoot and take away for £90. I don't like to think about what happens to the body but we can't bury them here, and their souls are gone, it's just a shell. You kind of realise that when you see them gone.

I must ask our vet if he has a gun licence actually - he knows full well the extent of the mare's needle fear so I'm sure he will want to agree an emergency plan for if the knackerman isn't quickly available.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I had my beloved boy pts by injection. I had the luxury of it not being in an emergency situation, so I had thought long and hard about it and prepared myself for it. I wasn't there when it was done (I would have been a sobbing wreck and I didn't want his last image to be of me wailing like a banshee!), but my friend assured me it was quick and dignified. I then had him cremated, but didn't want any ashes or anything. In an emergency, I would choose whichever method was quickest I guess.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My decision has been based on the individual horse. I believe there is no right or wrong way and no one should feel guilty or judge anyone on the option they choose.
My last two were pts very differently.
The first i used the hunt and they were amazing. He was a horse who was happy to be handled by other people as long as they were confident. He used to fight sedation so for him the best way was the bullet. I couldnt watch that but because of his personality it was fine that i said goodbye and he was led away by a member of hunt staff (at home, id not personally do it anywhere else given the choice). They led him over to the place i hand grazed him over winter and on box rest so as far as he knew he was off for a munch of grass.
The next was a nervous little chap and he would have been terrified by some stranger taking him away from me, he was also perfectly at ease with the vets if either my daughter or myself were with him so i chose the injection and held him myself.
That one was buried as we couldnt bear the thought of him being taken away (well my daughter and partner couldn't) to me he was gone then.
My next one will be the most devastating for me He will go with the hunt as he's a retired hunter and i think thats right for him. He loves to hear the hounds and that makes that option ok for me.
Its never easy but its never wrong if done for the right reasons

minesadouble

Visit site
As others have said its very much an individual choice. There is no 'wrong' way to do it.
If the talk of 'second injections' worries you (as it would me) out vet use a full bottle of the drug even on a little pony. We have had a few put down by injection now and all have gone very quickly and very peacefully.
Ours are buried on the farm.