How do horses put on weight...

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
Bit of a hard question to word and I can't seem to find the info I want online. I'm still trying to get condition on my gelding after his health trouble and surgery. He certainly looks better but we've still a way to go and it's hard for me to notice changes when I see him every day.

My question is when getting condition on a very poor horse where do you start to see changes first? Which areas gain condition and which areas will need "work" to see a bigger difference?

I hope this makes sense and I'm not coming across as a complete twonk!!

Boxers

Visit site
Can't help you with where you will see changes first, but as you say, seeing the horse everyday, you can't see the changes, so take a photo and take another evey week or so, so that you can look back and compare.

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
Can't help you with where you will see changes first, but as you say, seeing the horse everyday, you can't see the changes, so take a photo and take another evey week or so, so that you can look back and compare.

Oh trust me I have a lot of photos! Unfortunately they don't seem to paint a true picture as in the flesh...so difficult. He's only been out a week since he came home from hospital and spent his box rest stressing so I'm hoping now he's happy going out he'll pick up more :confused:

SCMSL

Visit site
I feel for you, I was in that same situation last year around this time!

I guess it depends on how the horse is built, but with mine I started noticing some improvement by looking at her from behind - suddenly she wasn't so tucked in. Then the rib area started to fill in, then the neck and finally we are now in a situation where her back is looking better and better every month.

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
For comparison although the first picture really doesn't show how bad he looked! When he first arrived and before any treatment.

This is a week after his operation.

There is no denying he feels very "well" now and is full of playful energy. I suppose technically it's too soon after his surgery to notice a difference although people are saying he looks better I just can't see it(in his weight at least)

Tabula Rasa

Visit site
Can't say I have much experience on the matter.

However having a rescue youngster from the start I have added a little olive/vegetable oil into her feed, even in summer if its just a few carrots.

I think it helps add a little gentel weight and the oil helps the coat looking stunning.

be positive

Visit site
He does look poor and very sorry for himself but if now feeling well he should gradually start to pick up condition, as you said when you see them daily it can be hard to see the difference, someone who only sees him once a week will see the changes more than you.
They do seem to put weight on differently, most get a bigger tummy, the ribs gradually get covered then the topline and main muscles improve with correct work as well as a good diet, plenty of time out moving around a field will help build them up naturally.
His coat looks good so with the better weather, some decent grass and the sun on him you should soon see a real difference.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Just out of curiosity what was the surgery for? Was it an on going issue you fixed or sudden onset?
He looks better in second pic, is he a tb? i notice my tb tends to put on over ribs first then back end then neck. However he tucks in, if he looses conditions.
Sorry iv missed your previous posts.

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
Thank you, he had a permanent tracheotomy do to defects so hasn't been able to breathe properly (he is 4 next month) so body has been under a lot of stress. He is a pure bred trakehner. Has been fighting various infections due to the
problem.

He does look perky most of the time :p

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I would give him time and let Dr green do some work. A long time illness and infections being fought take a huge toll on the body to then include surgeryas extra, its no wonder its taking time- it would for humans too!
He looks to be shiney and bright eyed so wouldn't be too concerned unless in another 6weeks or so theses still no change.
Can you maybe take measurements to keep a record, say girth circumference, neck circumference, stifle to stifle. Or somewhere if pictures don't do enough that might help.

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
I would give him time and let Dr green do some work. A long time illness and infections being fought take a huge toll on the body to then include surgeryas extra, its no wonder its taking time- it would for humans too!
He looks to be shiney and bright eyed so wouldn't be too concerned unless in another 6weeks or so theses still no change.
Can you maybe take measurements to keep a record, say girth circumference, neck circumference, stifle to stifle. Or somewhere if pictures don't do enough that might help.

That puts my mind at rest a bit, he's not in his summer paddock yet so lots of good stuff to come! I have been using the weigh tape but was thinking about getting spillers out in a couple of weeks to weigh him... ( I believe its them that do that?? )

Queenbee

Visit site
I totally agree with time and dr green, I would also reccomend very highly Haemavite b plus... In a nutshell it does the following:
General blood tonic
Boosts immunity
Contains b vitamins to help gut work at its most efficient... Making best use of nutrition available
Guards against anaemia
Main uses are for performance horses in high levels of work and for poor/ill horses recuperating..

I have used it and can seriously reccomend, its not a break the bank addition, I would buy the syrup form and feed at the max dose which is 1 full measure daily.

cob&onion

Visit site
Bump, would love some more advise/experience or just people in the same boat...

He's beautiful :)

I think i have told you before about my boy. He is 3 and had a retained testicle removed at the end of Feb, he had to have surgery - it was high in his abdomen!
He came back from surgery the next day and dropped a huge amount of weight. Since then he hasn't really picked up a great deal. The grass is just about coming through but not quite there yet.
He too is ribby and hanging onto his winter coat which makes him look worse :eek: hes still being fed hay and has a hard feed but i don't think he's going to improve untill dr green makes an appearance!!

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
Thank you C&O nice to hear from someone in the same boat, I think after everything we've been through im just very twitchy about when im going to see a difference.

Queenbee- I've just ordered the tonic! Thank you I've been looking into them but couldn't find a good recommendation :)

Queenbee

Visit site
Thank you C&O nice to hear from someone in the same boat, I think after everything we've been through im just very twitchy about when im going to see a difference.

Queenbee- I've just ordered the tonic! Thank you I've been looking into them but couldn't find a good recommendation :)

It's fantastic stuff, it was reccomended by my vets when my mare was ill, unfortunately she was terminally ill, but I saw such a difference from the tonic, I swear it gave us a couple of weeks extra to try to save her (at the time we didn't know what was wrong:() since then I've reccomended it to a lot of people and everyone who I know that has used it has very positive things to say about it :)

Also, if you don't already have him on a probiotic... Protexin is by far the best.

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
It's fantastic stuff, it was reccomended by my vets when my mare was ill, unfortunately she was terminally ill, but I saw such a difference from the tonic, I swear it gave us a couple of weeks extra to try to save her (at the time we didn't know what was wrong:() since then I've reccomended it to a lot of people and everyone who I know that has used it has very positive things to say about it :)

Also, if you don't already have him on a probiotic... Protexin is by far the best.

Sorry about you mare:(

He has made huge improvements but being I'll for such a long time I know it's not gonna fix quickly. Thank you for the tip I'll keep you posted once he's on the tonic! He has been having protexin all the way through:)

Queenbee

Visit site
Sorry about you mare:(

He has made huge improvements but being I'll for such a long time I know it's not gonna fix quickly. Thank you for the tip I'll keep you posted once he's on the tonic! He has been having protexin all the way through:)

I'm glad he is getting better, bless him he has a dedicated loving owner :). You should see a real change with that tonic. It really perks them up too :). Don't forget to feed at the top rate (I think it says its the rate for horses in performance work) it's basically a measure filled to the brim. He looks lovely, and the grass and sunshime will certainly help too x keep us updated, would love to see his progress :)

honetpot

Visit site
I often think that we spend too much time thinking about giving them calories but not how the calories are being spent.
I would make sure he is warm and out of drafts as most of the energy consumed is used to maintain body temperature so if the horse is thin it is using more.
http://www.pegasushealth.com/blog/2012/10/keeping-warm-in-winter-by-clare-macleod/
Also make sure they have a boring settled dominate companion, this means they not on guard, and the dominate one takes the strain allowing more time for eating. The worst companion is a dominant stress head, I had one that walked 100kg off a horse over winter, worried like hell and wouldn't let him eat.
I have taken on a starved pony and have read that it will take 6 months to get him to a normal weight, but as he is young as fast as I am feeding him he is growing taller, but we have summer on our side.

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
Gorgeous horse.

Forage, forage and more forage, and plenty of good old Dr Green

It's funny his appetite seems to come in waves, he'll eat what ever you put in front of him then go off it for a day or two then back to normal. He has haylege, I put soo much in his hay bar last night as I'd rather there be some left over. I'll be dammed he ate the lot!! I've set him a challenge tonight as I physically couldn't of fit any more in the hay bar :D

I also checked out there summer field today and the grass is a foot high! Will probably give me other worries, he will be going out there over the bank holiday weekend to ease him onto the lush grass.

Last edited: