How do I gain my confidence again after bad fall?

zip

Visit site
Hi, I have been offered a horse to ride so am going to go and ride this week and see how I get on. Now I had a bad fall last year and this is the first time back in the saddle! I was so nervous on the phone organising the meeting that I felt sick for ages afterwards just running over and over in my mind getting up on the horse and what I was going to do. What should I do ? Just walk ? I want to show the owner I can ride but at the moment I feel like I need a lead rein GULP!!!!

Anyone else felt like this ?
frown.gif

xx

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Hi
grin.gif

I know EXACTLY how you feel
smile.gif
My last horse threw me off on the road then kept threatening to buck every time I got on. In the end I daren't even get on her and she had to be sold. When I first got Canto and he had to have all that time off I was scared to death getting back on again. Just take it slowly. Why not go for a riding lesson this week so you've at least been back on a horse again? Just remember to relax (I know it's hard!)

Tbh, imo the best thing you could do would be to go and have a lunge lesson. Or even a few lunge lessons. It helped me no end because I got my balance back and my seat improved, therefore I had more confidence as I didn't feel I was going to fall off if the horse went round a corner!
blush.gif
I can't stress enough how much they helped me. Good luck anyway - let me know how you get on
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I have been offered a horse to ride so am going to go and ride this week and see how I get on. Now I had a bad fall last year and this is the first time back in the saddle! I was so nervous on the phone organising the meeting that I felt sick for ages afterwards just running over and over in my mind getting up on the horse and what I was going to do. What should I do ? Just walk ? I want to show the owner I can ride but at the moment I feel like I need a lead rein GULP!!!!

Anyone else felt like this ?
frown.gif

xx

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is a rider alive who hasn't had one of these moments...don't worry!
You need to tell the owner that you had this fall, and you are nervous 'today' as a result. Ask her if you can spend a bit of time with the horse on the ground - grooming it, tacking it up. And ask if she will ride it first - and ask her to show you the horse doing whatever scares you.
When I lookied for a loaner for my Tb, a very nice 50yr+ lady was interested; she came to see horsey and was a bit paranoid about being bolted with on the roads. So she made me ride my horse up and down the road, away from home, towards home, in walk, trot, etc, to see if she would cart me home. I didn't mind doing this for her, and the loan worked out beautifully for me, horse, and loaner.
Another idea might be to go for a lesson at a riding school beforehand.
S
grin.gif

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Just be honest and explain communication is the key. Most people have been in the same shoes as you unforunatly some are too pig headed to admit it.

Take things very slowly and dont do any more than you feel happy with. The idea of lunge lessons in a riding school is good especially if you tell them your confidence has taken a bashing.

Boater

Visit site
The thinking about it before is the worst part. Once you're on, you'll find it isn't as scary. Try and block all the negative thoughts and focus on the positive. A drop of Rescue Remedy may help. Remember this is a different horse and different situation. Good luck and I agree a lunge lesson will help.

bex1984

Visit site
nina - just go for it!!! Stop worrying and thinking about what might happen, and go for it!
smile.gif

I do know how you feel, I lost my confidence really badly before i got Murphy (jumpthemoon can testify to this, because she had to rescue me as a quivering, sobbing wreck by the side of the road). I think it happens to everyone at some stage, to some extent, but you CAN and you WILL get it back, just take little steps, tell the owner you had a fall and you are nervous and want to build up slowly.

Try some positive visualisation stuff: Close your eyes and picture yourself turning up to ride, getting on the horse, having a little walk round, it all being fine, and getting off with a smile on your face.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.