How do I get it out there?

Twiggy14

Visit site
Hi :)
So my godmother has a little dartmoor I'm breaking in for her, and selling. She's giving me half of the money, so It got me thinking. I'm experienced enough to know what I'm doing backing horses and ponies, and have done it before aswell as reschooling and bringing on, but have only done it for friends and family, and friends and family of friends, via just them knowing about it.
I want to earn a bit of money to save up for eventing and buying a few more jumps (we're a little low on funds!) so I want to do it a bit more.
How do I get it out there that I'm open for it, apart from the more obvious advertising?
Would people send to someone that's not necessarily a professional, but is experienced and have references etc?

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Word of mouth is your best bet but you can always stick a card up in the local saddlers / feed merchants. I personally would go by personal recommendation than an advert though. :)

X

xspiralx

Don't forget you will need the appropriate insurance if you're doing it professionally to cover you.

Freelance instructor insurance is around £375 a year - something to factor in.

jrp204

Visit site
Your best advert is to be out there competing on horses you have produced, they are proof of what you have achieved. I think your biggest problem will be your age, you're quite young?

Twiggy14

Visit site
Thank you :)
One thing, would you be put off by my age?
I am a mature 13 year old (have been mistaken for 16/18), I'm tall (So can easily handle the bigger ones) but skinny (I still ride my shetlands :D ). :)

Twiggy14

Visit site
Didn't see the above comments, thank you :)
Well im saving up to buy a decent little event youngster, I still have £100 from my birthday, then the money from Spirit and another a friend wants backed, in a few years that'd be out so if I have to wait I have to wait :)

X

xspiralx

I am a mature 13 year old (have been mistaken for 16/18), I'm tall (So can easily handle the bigger ones) but skinny (I still ride my shetlands :D ). :)

Yes - afraid I wouldn't employ someone under the age of 16 to ride. I'm not even sure on the legalities or insurance implications of employing a minor in a potentially dangerous activity.

Princess Jess

Visit site

Yes I think your age would put the vast majority of people off and I doubt you can be adequately insured at 13? Breaking and backing your own ponies and even friends is fine (I'm assuming there is always an adult around on the yard when you're doing this?) but doing it as a business where you are taking money off strangers is completely different, what if you or the horse were injured, who would take responsibility?
If I were you I would continue breaking your own ponies and getting lots of experience. Also try doing work experience at different types of yards like hunting, polo, racing etc. to give yourself as wide a background as possible but I would leave the business plans until you are older. At 13 you may be the most experienced 13 year old ever but you still don't have the experience of someone who's been professionally backing youngsters for 30+ years.
It's great that you're so enthusiastic and I'm sure you'll succeed in what you want to do, but there's no rush...you have your whole life ahead of you to build up an equine business, for now focus on gaining experience and enjoying riding just for fun! :)

Twiggy14

Visit site
Thank you! Yes thought that'd be the case, just wanted opinions. I'm buzzing to get into the world of eventing, I think I'm a bit to eager to get the funds myself :eek:

Princess Jess

Visit site
Thank you! Yes thought that'd be the case, just wanted opinions. I'm buzzing to get into the world of eventing, I think I'm a bit to eager to get the funds myself :eek:

Haha I know how you feel! Perhaps you could look into finding sponsorship to help out with the funds for competing, but again you'd probably need to be over 16, but it still might be worth researching :)

Twiggy14

Visit site
Thanks, ive thought about it but it's just finding someone isn't it! Plus living in Cornwall doesn't help....someone wanted me to ride they're event ponies and bring on and compete them...by they're in Barnstaple. Obviously I can't leave school or move just for that...so I have to go without the great opportunity :/

Twiggy14

Visit site
Well I've shown Shetlands and working hunter ponies/show hunters at county level, and I'm jumping at a county show on the 1st of August....after that I'm affiliating BS so I'm hoping I can get more rides :)
Im offered rides, but they are usually show horses :/

dafthoss

Visit site
Sorry but I think you will struggle at 13 to find some one willing to pay you to break their pony. Your tall which makes it harder as if you were small you would have a bit of a gap in the market, even though you say your light they might as well get a small adult to do it instead. Sorry :eek:

But if you want to get out there PC, RC and let your instructor know as they will have loads of contacts and people will ask them for recomendations.

Jarrive

Visit site
Echo what everyone else is saying really re your age, but don't feel too disheartened. Are there any yards around you that might need help at weekends? Even if its "just" mucking out, I find being keen and hard working makes people more likely to have a punt on you! Also what you will absorb from those around you would be invaluable.

Also - someone mentioned showing. I'm not really into showing myself, but I know some producers look for younger riders for age classes that they themselves are too old to compete in (I guess it could also be the case with showjumping?). You could try keeping an eye on the following website

http://horsegossip.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=jockeywanted

Even if showing isn't your end goal, you will see quite a few adults in other disciplines that have grown up through the showing route, and I think its a very good string to have in your bow! (I wish it was something I had done when I was younger!)

ETS sorry didn't read your most recent posts when I replied so some may not be relevant! But if you're offered rides at shows etc I'd maybe keep on doing that, then when you're a bit older (and have a few more contacts!) start the breaking aspect of it

Last edited:

happihorse

Visit site
Bit of a curved ball, but is there any way you could build or make your own jumps? We did when we were younger and actually they were pretty impressive!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Even if showing isn't your end goal, you will see quite a few adults in other disciplines that have grown up through the showing route, and I think its a very good string to have in your bow! (I wish it was something I had done when I was younger!)

^that - a lot of the top young eventers (Laura Collett et al) all started off through showing working hunter ponies ;) And even if it doesn't help you so much with eventing specifically, all the experience of riding different horses/ponies, showmanship, turnout, dealing with owners etc will still be useful :)