HOW DO I GO ABOUT COLLECTING A HORSE ON LOAN FROM IRELAND?

Would you buy clothes from a shop that you've never been to?

• Total voters

yvettewest

New User
Visit site
<font color="red"> </font> HI, CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM? I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A HORSE ON LOAN FOR A YEAR BUT HE IS IN IRELAND AND I AM IN ENGLAND WITH NO HORSE TRANSPORT OF MY OWN. HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING HIM INTO THIS COUNTRY AND WHAT PAPERWORK , IF ANY, DO I NEED. HE WILL COME WITH PASSPORT, TACK, ETC IF I DO AGREE TO HAVE HIM. HIS OWNER IS A GIRL GOING AWAY TO COLLEGE SHORTLY AND SHE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO GET HIM HERE EITHER. PLEASE CAN ANY ONE HELP AS I HAVE ONLY EVER HAD HORSES FROM ENGLAND BEFORE AND HAVE NEVER HAD THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM BEFORE. HELP? X
confused.gif
<font color="red"> </font>

Weezy

Visit site
firstly STOP SHOUTING IT IS VERY RUDE AND HARD TO READ!!!!!!!!!

Easy to travel a horse, you call a transport company, arrange for them to collect the horse, they go get horse and deliver horse to you - all for a fee of course! May I ask if you have ridden the horse before?

the watcher

Visit site
It isn't difficult, call any reputable transport company and they will talk you through any paperwork that you need to import the horse, horses are going back and forth to Ireland every day of the week. Be sure to use a company that are reputable and do regular international transport. You may be able to jump on to a shared load to reduce costs

ISHmad

Visit site
Crikey, give the girl a break. It is her first post on here - and might be her last with this kind of reception about typing in capitals. I am sure it was an error on her part!

As other posters have said, speak to any of the larger reputable transport companies and I am sure that they will be able to help you.

Don't forget to knock the cap lock off next time! Oh and welcome to the Forum by the way.

yvettewest

New User
Visit site
Hi firstly i would like to say sorry to all for shouting in my original question. My caps lock on my keyboard was stuck and i didnt know, so am now using my sons computer
crazy.gif
. I have not ridden this horse myself but i know someone who has and who knows the horse. The girl who owns him contacted me through my email, she got it from a friend of mine. I was thinking about hiring a selfdrive horsebox and going to collect him myself, but as i have never left this country before i dont know what paperwork i would need for myself and the horse. Do i need a passport for me just to go to Ireland
confused.gif
? Also ignore the Poll (vote) thing, i have never used this site to ask things on and this was my first try on here
blush.gif
, Sorry. x

ISHmad

Visit site
Evie, might be worth PM'ing Admin to see if they can move this thread to New Lounge for you, where it will get more traffic, and therefore hopefully some more help?

Or start the thread up again in there?

the watcher

Visit site
Passport for you - are you going to the north or the south?

As for driving the horse yourself, by the time you have hired the box it will cost as much to pay a transporter, and they do it every day - I recommend using a professional

spaniel

Visit site
Hi and welcome.

It will cost you more to hire a selfdrive and get on the boat to Ireland than it will to have a shared load with one of the bigger transport companies. they deal with all the paperwork and will advise you on what you need to do and provide. They also give the advantage of having layover sites just in case the weather turns bad and the boat is delayed.

If you have a look in the back of H+H there are quite a few ads for companies who would be able to quote you for the journey. I can personally recommend ETA (used to be know as Chaighley) who did a superb job for me last autumn.

I would much rather rely on a pro than try and sort it all out myself!

mlm

Visit site
it should be really easy at the moment as goresbridge sales starts this week and is on for 10 days so all the transport companys will be coming over

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
No disrespect to your reply Captain but I don't think I would want to share with a lorry full of sale horses - just in case one of them has got a lurgy ripe for passing on..... Or am I being to fussy/cautious here (imagining all sorts of dealer horses....)?!
grin.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Its a risk you take with ANY transport Im afraid but Goresbridge is a pretty well run sale so in theory the horses pasing through there should be reasonably healthy.

My horse travelled with a number of others on his way home and came to no harm at all.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Me just being fussy then!
laugh.gif
Probably because my mare hasn't moved from the stud she was bred at other than for shows etc (where you are probably just as likely to find lurgies! Shot myself in the foot a bit there.....)
tongue.gif

mlm

Visit site
i have imported from ireland on numerous occasions and have never had a problem. they have come over with the same transport company in big artic lorries and arrived looking fine just a bit tired.

SueD

Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.

Might be worth bearing in mind that if your loan-horse is anywhere near Co. Kildare then the yearling thoroughbred sales will be starting up this month &amp; October.
This means that several large horse transport companies from over here do a regular shuttle service.
LRT from Lambourn I can recommend and can pass you a phone number if you pm me.

As far as paperwork is concerned, I believe the horse pasport will suffice but I defer to the more knowledgeable bods above who have imported from Ireland previously for the correct information.