How do I make Horsey Friends?

TheBear1983

Visit site
When I was a kid back in Yorkshire, I had so many horsey friends, but after I had to put my mare down I had time away from riding and horses for some years. Now I am an adult and living near Bristol, I've returned to riding and have lessons at Summerhouse in Gloucester - I am absolutely loving my dressage lessons but they're private (I have indicated I'd be willing to share), so I don't really meet anyone other than my instructor. I can't afford to own my own horse at the moment, and as I've an autoimmune disease these days, I don't have the consistent health to commit to loaning (I would like to loan for a day a week to practice what I'm learning in lessons, but most people are looking for more days than that).
I have emailed to ask about the local riding club, but I expect I'd need a horse to participate in almost all events. I also looked at the BD's Quest, but there's no directory of existing teams that I could approach to approach to join.
I've thought about going down to a local livery yard, but I'm not sure how I'd feel approaching strangers - I remember I loaned my mare out to someone I didn't know once and she galloped her up and down alongside her field and caused her to bolt with me. I was not happy!
I've seen an old post on making horsey friends and there's mention of a great facebook page, but it's more for finding people to ride with whereas I am horse-less!
Any ideas?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I wouldn’t just turn up at a livery yard, you’d be most likely to be told to sling your hook 😜

How about volunteering at some local shows?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
riding clubs usually want people to help at shows so i would offer to help, also if there are any british eventing comps near you offer to help, when i was on the committee of a dressage group it was always the same people who helped so if you get involved with a riding club you will probably see the same people at each show so could make friends there..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Go along to a riding club, you'll be welcomed at most for helping. It's a very good way to meet new horsey friends. When I couldn't go mounted last year, I went along to a newly revived RC at clinics, offered to do a few pics and replace poles etc and made a fair few new friends!

Cross posted with splashgirl!

Lammy

Visit site
I actually would advocate turning up to a yard! Years ago someone turned up to our yard as they were new to the area and were looking for a share. My friend who was there told me about it and I was actually thinking about finding a sharer for my mare at the time, got myself a lovely little shared who did 2 days a week for a while :)

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Maybe put up an advert in local tack shop saying you are available to exercise horses - if you feel you are confident & experienced enough?

I met a lovely friend this way - also a dodgy one tbf but won't go into that 👀

TheBear1983

Visit site
Amymay - I know what you mean; they wouldn't know me from Adam! They might think I am casing the joint!
SplashGirl/Fuzzy - that's mostly what I was hoping for when I emailed the local riding club, I can see they've a vet talk coming up I assume wouldn't be attended mounted and I'd be happy to help with poles/taking photos etc and actually I think Summerhouse (where I ride) welcome volunteers too. I just have to be a bit careful as a whole day out doing physical labour could put me in bed for days.
Lammy - that's a lovely success story! I did think about printing a page with a couple of photos and what I was looking for to leave at the yard maybe. It's actually a local livery to me I saw and was thinking might be suitable when I do get my own horse again.

TheBear1983

Visit site
haha the success would depend on if I am dodgy or not I guess :D
I have to admit, I have no idea where local tack shops are... I knew every stable and tack shop back home but I am less schooled in the riding world down south, as I've lived here for years but only gotten into riding here recently. I will have to find a couple of tack shops and maybe put up my ad.
I did go to ride horses for a chap near my mum in the southeast years ago whose wife had died of cancer and he wanted her horses kept going - huge mansion, beautiful stables, outdoor arena - not even any mucking out as he had staff (insane) but the beautiful young horse he needed riding wasn't consistently sound and it turned out to be degenerative joint disease, which is what my mare had to be put down from. He wanted injections and riding through and I just couldn't do it - so the bad experiences go both ways :(

Shay

Visit site
How about volunteering. At Riding clubs as someone already mentioned. But what about a local show center? Dressage writing for BD? Fence judging for BE? Is there a rescue centre near you? They would love to have volunteers in any capacity.

sport horse

Visit site
Contact your local riding club and speak to someone - I would be most surprised if you were not made exceptionally welcome. Most clubs are struggling to find volunteers and you will make more firends than if you had a horse.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I'm a bit of an introvert so maybe not the best person to advise you, but here goes.
Firstly change to group evening lessons, they sometimes form loose friendships and go to the pub afterwards. Or you could fins one of them to pal up with for a semi private.
Secondly have you considered volunteering? The BHS in Glos is desperate for new committee members. Or the RDA may welcome you.
Offer to fence judge for local events, maybe.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
haha the success would depend on if I am dodgy or not I guess :D
I have to admit, I have no idea where local tack shops are... I knew every stable and tack shop back home but I am less schooled in the riding world down south, as I've lived here for years but only gotten into riding here recently. I will have to find a couple of tack shops and maybe put up my ad.
I did go to ride horses for a chap near my mum in the southeast years ago whose wife had died of cancer and he wanted her horses kept going - huge mansion, beautiful stables, outdoor arena - not even any mucking out as he had staff (insane) but the beautiful young horse he needed riding wasn't consistently sound and it turned out to be degenerative joint disease, which is what my mare had to be put down from. He wanted injections and riding through and I just couldn't do it - so the bad experiences go both ways :(

I didn't mean you were dodgy 😅 I met one woman whose horses I rode who turned out to be very odd 🙄

asmp

Visit site
I've moved a lot and found horse friends by volunteering with the RDA. I'm also a member of the local riding club but don't compete myself. As everyone else says - they're always desperate for helpers at shows. The local pony club often needs volunteers too, especially for fence judging. Only trouble with BE events, is that the regulars come from miles around so not often local.

J&S

Visit site
You can be a non riding member of most horsey clubs, volunteers are so hard to come by your phone will be red hot with requests!
so, local Riding club, local area Trec Club, certainly volunteer at your local RDA group, always lovely people and the horses/ponies need to be exercised w/es and holidays. Your local Pony Club will need jump judges, caterers, writers for dressage, the list of possibilities is endless!!

oldie48

Visit site
As others have said you don't need to ride or have a horse to join the RC, I know my club would welcome you (Malvern Hills RC) but I think we are some way away from you, I'm sure there will be one local to you that would welcome an enthusiastic. volunteer. Good luck I hope you get some horsey friends soon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Another vote for volunteering with RDA, you won't be expected to do more than you are physically able. I have been involved with a local group for 35 years and have made good friends through that. RC is also a good way to get to know horsey people, go to the vet talk, offer to sell raffle tickets/make tea, or whatever else they are doing on the night and you will soon get to know people.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if you cant do physical work life putting up jumps etc you could help with the scoring, usually there are a couple of people doing it so you wouldnt be left on your own, or writing for the judge, i really recommend that as you learn lots usually get refreshments and its no more physically challenging than being in a chair at home..and you arent usually doing it all day,.i volunteer doing writing for the judge as i cant stand for long so something like stewarding is not ideal for me....rather than e mailing riding clubs pick up the phone and talk to someone , you need to be brave!!!! why not go to the vet talk and speak to someone from the riding club so they can see you are not a weirdo, i am assuming you are not :):)

TheBear1983

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) there have been so many suggestions and I feel really emboldened by all your positivity too! I have joined my local RC today and they're really welcoming :) I can't wait to brave the first few events and start to meet people :) I will keep in mind the other volunteering ideas too :) (I don't want to over-subscribe!)