How do people feed their horses tumeric?!

littlemissm12

Visit site
Hi all, I was wondering how to people feed their horses and pony's turmeric? I was told mixing it. into a paste with linseed oil is good, but are their any other ways? Thankyou.

asmp

Visit site
I now buy it in tubs from the manufacturers who ready mix it with stuff, ready to use. Yes, it's more expensive but a lot less faffing around. I'm using Equine America at the moment.

PuzWillow

New User
Visit site
I use a little scoop of turmeric, around 10 twists of black pepper (it is said to be better freshly ground) and a dash of veg oil although some say you’re meant to use a really high quality oil but mine seems to do the trick!

Summit

Visit site
Are you all feeding as a treatment to a current problem or as a preventative measure? I only ask as I was considering turmeric for my dog and when I made enquiries I was told not to use it as a prevention as it will mask any joint lameness that may occur in the future :confused:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I use a little scoop of turmeric, around 10 twists of black pepper (it is said to be better freshly ground) and a dash of veg oil although some say you’re meant to use a really high quality oil but mine seems to do the trick!

^^^ This is what I've done with my two oldies basically. You don't need to mix up the "golden paste" with horses apparently. I use 1 scoop of Turmeric to 3 scoops of Micronised Linseed, in their feed once a day. Add to this about 7 turns of Black Pepper. Apparently Black Pepper is necessary in order for the other ingredients to be fully absorbed and utilised.

littlemissm12

Visit site
Are you all feeding as a treatment to a current problem or as a preventative measure? I only ask as I was considering turmeric for my dog and when I made enquiries I was told not to use it as a prevention as it will mask any joint lameness that may occur in the future :confused:
Oh really? I'm not using it as a preventive measure, my horse has dry skin on her leg and fairly stiff joints. We were recommended to use it but yes I totally see how it can mask problems!