How do you care for a sheepskin numnah?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have just bought my pony a beautiful sheepskin numnah. How do I care for it to keep it looking good and comfortable for my pony?

Thanks

Coblover63

Visit site
I used one for a year and it still looked as good as new. I used to wash it in non-biological soap powder, no conditioner and then brush it with a stiff hairbrush to restore the pile after it came out of the machine.... and then again when it was dry.

StormyMoments

Visit site
if it gets sweaty leave it to dry and then brush it off with a curry comb and a stiff dandy brush and it will fluff up like new :) when you wash it put hair conditioner on the sheep skin to keep it soft and once dry fluff it up with a dandy brush :)

lottiepony

Visit site
if it gets sweaty leave it to dry and then brush it off with a curry comb and a stiff dandy brush and it will fluff up like new :) when you wash it put hair conditioner on the sheep skin to keep it soft and once dry fluff it up with a dandy brush :)

agree with above :) plus the hair conditioner makes it smell fab!

Bendyhorse

Visit site
Horse health said
Remove hair, dirt and dried sweat with a stiff brush
Rub human hair conditioner (ideally for dry hair) generously over lambskin areas
Machine wash at 30° on a cool/wool cycle or hand wash
Use WoolSkin Wash (available from Horse Health) or non-bio powder or liquid
Straighten/flatten cotton fabric after washing
Air dry near heat source. Never tumble dry
Avoid using strong fabric conditioners

:)

mandwhy

Visit site
I hand wash mine with a bit of non bio washing powder or even some special wool/delicates stuff, then hang dry near a radiator (if it takes too long to dry it smells funny!) I hadn't thought of using conditioner though, ooh going to do that next time!

frozzy

Visit site
I have had Courtlea numnahs for years. Wash in a machine woolie wash 30 degrees and left to dry naturally overnight. Used hide conditioner on the hide side and brush up fleece side with a brush. Look like new ten years later.

harrysmum

Visit site
Horse health said
Remove hair, dirt and dried sweat with a stiff brush
Rub human hair conditioner (ideally for dry hair) generously over lambskin areas
Machine wash at 30° on a cool/wool cycle or hand wash
Use WoolSkin Wash (available from Horse Health) or non-bio powder or liquid
Straighten/flatten cotton fabric after washing
Air dry near heat source. Never tumble dry
Avoid using strong fabric conditioners

This^^^^^ works every time- I used non bio liquid and supermarket hair conditioner and it came up fab after each was- no brushing or fluffing up necessary either :)

Rhodders

Visit site
as the others say, but don't dry it even near a radiator or it will die - I found out the hard way, wasn't on it just about a foot away on an airer - ruined!