How do you come to terms with letting your horse go..? :(

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
Hi All,

So I've not been on here for quite some time (around 5 years I think!). I'm at point though, where I could really use some help from fellow horse lovers.

I moved to the US 4 years ago and left my wonderful horse (who'd I've owned since he was a just backed 3 year old) on loan back in the UK. His loaners lost their jobs and so I've paid fully for his keep for 3 years now. They adore him and take wonderful care of him.

Where I'm at though now is:

1. I can't justify taking a horse on over here whilst I still pay for one at home.
2. He's now 13 and I should really consider his long term future.

I vowed I'd never sell him but a divorce and an emigration got in the way...

Anyone have a similar story that could help me figure this out?

Nudibranch

Visit site
If you've been paying his costs for three years, how would that compare with flying him out? 13 is no age at all, so if you still want him then I would be thinking along those lines. If not then I guess he would have to take his chances - offer him to your loaners or sell him.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
When me moved to Oz, I had to sell a beloved horse, one I had worked so hard on to get right. It broke my heart, caused me a lot of distress, and i still think about him years later. I should have taken him with us.

i would suggest getting your horse flown out.....

Spyda

Visit site
Firstly, can you afford to transport your horse over to you? Could you be flexible to come back to UK to arrange his paperwork, transport, etc., or would your loaners do that for you? Do you actually want a horse where you are now? Things to consider.

I'd sell. Sorry, but I was in exactly the same position as you a few years ago. Sometimes life just gets in the way of the promises we make to ourselves. Once it is done, you move on. I promise. The longer to dither, the worse the idea is.

Speak to your loaners. Maybe if you divulge that you're considering selling your horse they will offer to buy him? Yes, I know they claim to have been out of work for 3 years, but maybe that's a slight stretch of the truth.

He's a relatively young horse at 13. Many people would jump at the chance to give him a permanent and loving home. And many people are happy to stay in touch with the old owner, especially if they have had the horse from a youngster. Just don't beat yourself up if you do decide to re-loan him or sell. Your horse is happy anywhere providing he is well care for and loved. Don't beat yourself up. ((( Hugs )))

mel_s

Visit site
I think the loaners are taking you for a ride!? I wish i could find someone to loan me a riding horse and then pay for it as well. Honestly?! A month or 2 for people to sort themselves out is one thing, three years is a joke.

I do think you need to sell him, and should have done a long time ago. However, i'm not sure how easy it will be logistically, as the loaners could be obstructive. Unless you have anyone else here who could oversee it? 13 is a good age to sell - no point in waiting another few years. The horse isnt with you now, so you've already lost the attachment in that respect. There are probably loads of other homes that would look after him and adore him.

Abacus

Visit site
Another that thinks either sell him or fly him over. Or, if you could afford the purchase cost of another horse, offer to give him to the loaners as you know they love him and will look after him well. I don't think they are necessarily taking you for a ride - but you have supported him for a long time and it's reasonable not to want to do that forever. He's not your child - now is the time to let someone else have him, while he is still young enough that someone will want him and give him a good life and owe him a retirement one day.

Annagain

Visit site
The amount you're paying to keep him for someone else you could invest in flying him over. Yes you'll have to pay for him once he's out there too, but at least you'll be getting something back.

I agree the loaners are taking advantage - I'd gladly give up work if someone would pay for my horse's keep for me. As other posters have said, a few months is one thing 3 years is entirely different.