How do you deal with MF?

Do you use boots/bandages for everyday work?

• Total voters

Hanz

Visit site
My mare has virtually no feathers and on her left hind has got mud fever, I was always told to hose down everyday, pick lose scabs off then cover in sudocream. But somebody recently told me to pick ALL of the scabs off to make her bleed, as this will then heal quicker.

What do you recommnend?

Thanks Hannah

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
You should always try and get the scabs off as soon as possible, the longer they are left on the more the bacteria breeds. Hosing down isnt a very good idea, the cold and wet will weaken the skin and cause the bacteria to penetrate more.
The best way to loosen the scabs is with any oily cream such as Protocon(rub well in and leave for 12 hours), wash with warm water diluted hibiscrub and towel dry. If the horse is stabled at night, I find sudocrem, gangee and stable bandages the best treatment.

Hanz

Visit site
No she is kept out, but her leg is always dry and covered in sudocream. And I used water to make the scabs soft so they would come off easier. Or is that me being a winp and not wanting to hurt her?

frannieuk

Visit site
I was told to wash with hibiscrub and warm water once, then keep the legs as dry as poss, picking of the loose scabs as you. The vet told me not to wash with water after the first time as (as vicijp says) water aggravates the condition.

LauraBR

Visit site
I have found vicijps suggestion works well for me.

Had a horse with terrible MF who was a TOTAL wuss. Went vertical if he even thought you were going to mess with his scabs. I plastered his legs in cream (protocon is good, think I also used a pink greasy vaseline type barrier cream), left them and then 'gave him a massage'. Fooled him and got the scabs off....

Hanz

Visit site
OK thanks guys
laugh.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Last year I had this with my arab, I believe it was HenryHorn who gave me some advice that worked very well. Perhaps PM her?
What I did was plaster his legs with Sudocrem, then wrapped with clingfilm and bandaged for 24 hours to soften the scabs, when I took that off the scabs came away and although his legs looked pretty bald new hairgrowth came through quickly and he was fine. After I'd got his legs cleaned I used to smother them with baby oil when he went out. Worked for me. I wish I'd heard of that method years ago after fighting with MF for so long, my arabs always seem prone to it on that particular yard.
Good Luck

Hanz

Visit site
Thanks thats a really good idea, I will keep her in over the weekend and try it then, so no water is needed for the first part? Han