How do you deal with wet, muddy dogs?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
How do you deal with wet, muddy dogs in the house in winter? Has anyone used a paw plunger? They look as if they could do a good job with muddy paws.

Chiffy

Visit site
No idea what a paw plunger is but there have been lots of threads on here about wet dogs.
Mine dry off wearing equafleeces and their beds have vet bed in them which wash and dry quickly

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My Bichon gets showered off, and then wrapped up in a towel.

She was stinking this morning, but is now dry and fluffy again.

HashRouge

Visit site
I take my boss's dogs out in the morning and if they get muddy I take them in the wash box and hose them off (warm water) then towel dry them as best I can. The only problem is that one of the spaniels knows how to open the door, so when I let them back into the yard area after their walk, the monsters usually vanish into the house while I'm still shutting the yard gate! Fortunately it's tiled flooring and no carpets!

Bellasophia

Visit site
My standard poodle wears a coat in the rain but still gets wet legs...so they get power dried when we get in and brushed to remove mud...takes ages..
My mini schnauzer gets rinsed by standing in the sink a,then hairdrier...takes five to ten minutes..,what an easy wash and wear breed..love it to bits after two decades of big ,poodles LOL

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
It depends really on how badly mucky they are........ and what type of "muck", if that makes sense.

If they've been out in the sheep field and have got poo and gunk all over them, and stink, then its no nonsense, into the downstairs wetroom/shower; then Equafleeces on and in front the fire to dry.

If just wet and no gunk, then I'll towel down little man (hairy terrier); and then Ginger-Ninja (smooth haired ginger god-knows-what breed) and plonk them in front the fire and let them get on with it.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive got 2 x ESS, 1 x JRT and a daft modern house with the back door straight into the lounge! We built a wooden porch over the back door where we have a wooden bench and lots of dog towels. They do all wear coats if its absolutely chucking it down, which keeps the worst off but they automatically jump up on to the bench to have collars off, paws checked for seeds and a wipe down with a towel before being allowed indoors. We are open plan so sofa is dog friendly material and nearly always covered with throws. They are quite happy, once theyve had their walks to sleep and dry off naturally, the only downside is that they all like to pick the mud out of their paws and drop it all over the floor :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
We have a roofed area outside the front door which is quite large, so its a good space for cleaning them off in bad weather. Hose if it's mild, otherwise a bucket of hot, very dilute hibiscrub water and a sponge. Then towel dry and into the utility room to dry off. We have a Hug Rug runner in there, and they really are worth every penny. Nothing gets past them.

They have waterproof beds so can then go and lie on them, or in front of the log burner. Fortunately OH has a pickup, so they can travel in there on a blanket. No way I'd be letting them in my car!

Enfys

Visit site
Simple :)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=paw+plunger&qpvt=paw+plunger&qpvt=paw+plunger&FORM=IGRE

My shepherds would think I was trying to kill them if I tried to shove their paws into what is basically a cup!

My solution to wet, muddy dogs (which we don't get anyway as we don't have mud) is to give them their own house, we don't have house animals as OH is allergic to animal hair in enclosed spaces. They have the bottom storey of an old stone built forge, complete with windows and a front door, leading into their run. Shavings on the floor and chopped straw in their beds.

Luci07

Visit site
wince. cry. get through a lot of towels. I have 4 staffords so short coated but all the fields on our walks are waterlogged so they all come back covered in mud. The worst one is... the white one.

My car is now so disgusting even I don't want to get in it...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Shorten feather, hose if awful, towel dry, towelling robes on, left on Tuffie or Kuranda in kitchen til dry.
20150524_115128_zpsz71i98hj.jpg

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The sibes are almost self-cleaning, at their worst they get scrubbed with a towel but mud seems to dry up and drop off them within minutes.

By comparison the cocker takes whole hours to dry, having been wrestled into an equafleece or dog drying bag. :p He has a high-maintenance coat/trim, would be much easier clipped short.

meesha

Visit site
Twice a day, equafleece on, down yard, after wallowing in mud, goes in cage in boot still with equafleece on once home hose off back legs and belly in drive, towel dry in garage. Wash equafleece and towel in washing machine, on quick rinse spin or wash/dry. Dog straight in house. Only issue is tail which I never dry properly and leaves marks in walls as it wags

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Equifleece, microfibre towels, curry comb, paddle brush, dandy brush, industrial bottle of Show Sheen, matt splitter, scissors, tears of frustration, murderous thoughts when someone asks 'do you never groom that dog', wine.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I googled paw plunger. I think the bristles would be a bit jabby for many dogs. Personally I'd just use an old plastic dish basin if you wanted to dip the feet in to something, which is a good idea if you walk on gritted roads and want to get the salt off, though nothing better than rinsing in warm running water.

I have this problem every time I take the dogs out, or even play in the garden with mine. My girl is such a mucky pup and frequently comes in with bits of hedge, lots of grit, maybe even a slug or two. So it's a lot of time spent grooming.

If the coat is a smooth coat like a boxer or lab, I'd rinse paws and allow the dog to dry on a warm spot and just brush off the mud later when it's dry. If it's a cocker or something along those lines, if you can bear the coat to be short for winter, I'd clip it off - especially if it's an older dog. I tell all my clients that having all that wet hair hanging on the joints isn't going to make an older arthritic dog very comfortable. If the coat must stay long for whatever reason, then you need to resign yourself to lots and lots of grooming.

I hose off in warm water if I haven't got time for a full shower. Then I blast and dry - unless I've shampooed the coat I try to not run a brush through as it'll just damage the coat unless it's clean and conditioned.

Brushing a dirty coat will cause split ends which make it matt faster.

Therefore I do a lot of washing.

Alice%20corded_zpscu3x6ytj.jpg

f119759040_zpsnzkckgik.jpg

bex1984

Visit site
Towel off if just a bit muddy, warm shower if stinky, and then thermatex coat on and leave in the kitchen (which after a huge amount of new insulation and over spec heating is now the warmest room in the house) until dry. We've got two jrts, one with a thin long coat, one with a thick mid length curly coat.
The thermatex coat was money very well spent, it really does help.

It's a pain... But muddy dogs are happy dogs.

wren123

Visit site
Towel off normally, if she is really muddy I take her home via a River to rinse off as I have nowhere indoors to wash her. If she is really dirty I wash her outdoors with warm water then dry her with towels then hairdryer! Would rather not in the winter but she doesn't seem to get shivery, I am very quick and make v sure she is dried thoroughly.

chahala

Visit site
Speaking as professionals; we find a freshly washed floor, followed by vacuumed carpet works a treat on the paws And for those stubborn bits - undercarriage and what have you - nothing beats a freshly made bed- you have to get right in it mind and make sure you use all the pillows !

WOOF WOOF

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
speaking as professionals; we find a freshly washed floor, followed by vacuumed carpet works a treat on the paws and for those stubborn bits - undercarriage and what have you - nothing beats a freshly made bed- you have to get right in it mind and make sure you use all the pillows !

Woof woof

:d :d :d