How do you deter Foxes ......

Eaglestone

Visit site
I have stables (Feild Shelter) in the field, so my boys walk in and out as they please ...... and so does the damned Fox :(

She digs up Motor's bed and defecates every night and he is suffering from what the Vet diagnosed previously as Mange .... any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Clodagh

Visit site
Foxes don't dig to poo, they poo on top of things, so it may be a badger. If its runny and tar like it is badger!
As you are not allowed to interfere with badgers there legally isn't a lot you can do but as you are sure it is a fox you could try hanging blue loo rings and/or creosote soaked rags at a low level either side of the entrance, also squirt harpic across the doorway. They sniff the ground as they go and don't like it. Perhaps spray his bedding with jeyes aswell to deter the digging? Once they have chosen a latrine they can be quite pig headed so make it as unpleasant for them as possible.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you Clodagh for all your suggestions, it's a great help.

It's definitely Foxes as she stands and watches me .... no Badgers in the vicinity!

She defecates under his hanging feed bowl and then it looks as though she tries to reach it and spreads all the shavings over it .. yuk yuk

putasocinit

Visit site
Harpic nice, so mare breathes in the fumes and damages her mucosa and sinus all over a fox defecating. Try removing the straw and leaving bare, the mange doesnt have to come from foxes it can come from mites in the straw.

Clodagh

Visit site
You only need to harpic a line across the doorway outside of the bedding, I wasn't suggesting the mare was sprayed in it. I suggested jeyes for the bedding, it is quite common to use that to stop horses eating it.

Eaglestone

Visit site
He has a full shavings bed and free access to his paddock 24/7.

I have sprayed the line into his Field Shelter with Jeyes Fluid and behind it .... let's see if she ventures in and makes a mess tonight.

Friend has seen the Fox standing inside and poor Motor looking in.

Thanks for all your help :) cheers :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Foxes don't like people smells either, next time you get your hair cut keep the sweepings put them in a pop sock/ tights and tie them round the spot - horsey shouldn't be bothered but fox won't like it.

A friendly man's wee would also do for around chicken runs but I don;t think in a field shelter human wee is any better than fox !!

Eaglestone

Visit site
Well Clodagh .... it didn't work and I think she must have got off on the smell, as there was more disturbed shavings, under Motor's feed this morning :( ..... BUT saying that, I did not find any poo in there :) ....... so we are part of the way there aren't we? :devilish:

Clodagh

Visit site
Not everyone has one of those lying around!

I would persist and see how it goes, perhaps she is really after the spilled food, hence the digging under the manger. If she stops pooing you may have to put up with the scrounging, I certainly can't keep my dogs out from where the horses are fed. Could you feed Motor outside?

Eaglestone

Visit site
Not everyone has one of those lying around!

I would persist and see how it goes, perhaps she is really after the spilled food, hence the digging under the manger. If she stops pooing you may have to put up with the scrounging, I certainly can't keep my dogs out from where the horses are fed. Could you feed Motor outside?

Yes he can be fed outside, but then Crows get at it more, but I suppose the lesser of the two evils and it may break the cycle a bit :)

Damned Fox has now taken an empty hay net and tore it to bits and my gloves .... my fault for leaving them in their reach .... poo everywhere yuk yuk .... in the 8 years of living in his Field Shelter, I have never had trouble with Foxes and Crows, until now grrrrrrrrr .......

ozpoz

Visit site
Aren't guinea fowl a deterrent? We haven't had any foxes around since my neighbour's guinea fowl went feral. Disclaimer - they are loud.