How do you find a good sharer?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm thinking it would be smart to find a sharer for Fin now that Hermosa is in full work, and winter is about to start wintering. Two in full work in the winter seems daunting. Ideally, I could find him a twice-per-week person, as I still love riding him but having a couple days where I only have to ride and care for one horse would be useful.

I've posted on my yard faff What's App group, but a group comprised of people who own horses is probably not the best place to ask.

He needs an experienced rider who has a secure seat and light hands. He's absolutely not a novice ride; he can be sharp, sensitive, has a big spook, and he hates heavy hands. Not your stereotypical plodding bombproof Highland pony. But he's fun to ride in the school now. Very forward and working on his shoulder-in and leg-yields and so on. He also doesn't hack alone. I mean, if Warwick Schiller wanted to share him, he might be able to fix that but I would rather people just accept it.

How do you go about finding someone who can actually ride?

maya2008

Visit site
Luck, I think! I advertised for a sharer for our Shetland (needing experienced parent with tiny tot rider) on local Facebook groups and got nowhere. I mean, I had replies, but most hadn’t read the ad properly.

Then literally bumped into a neighbour (well, house on same road as yard!) out hacking and they said they were looking for a lead rein pony for their son but hadn’t found anything… Lovely lady, keen kid, happy pony. Pure luck though.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Preloved is worth a look. I advertised on there looking for a horse to ride from time to time and a lady responded and the arrangement works great (it’s a bit different as I just hack with her occasionally, but it was a good place to connect).

Reactions: JBM

visa_bot

Visit site
I would recommend the “Nextdoor” app. I got very limited response from Facebook but lots from Nextdoor and everybody is local. You still need to sort through the responses and gauge experience but at least you should get responses.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I put an advert on Preloved and a local horsey Facebook page.

Made it very clear the sort of person I was after and what I was offering. Told a lot of people they weren’t suitable.

Quizzed a few more and then told them they weren’t suitable either.

Allowed three to come and try him. Decided one wanted more than I was willing to offer. Offered a couple of days each to the other two. One did a couple of weeks and disappeared into the ether never to be heard of again.

And the final one is super, does exactly as I need. Comes three days a week. And is super lovely and adores the horse.

She took some finding, and a lot of wading through unsuitable replies, but it was worth it 😊

pistolpete

Visit site
It’s hard finding good shares too! My current one i literally met the lady on holiday in Spain! Turns out she has the perfect share horse for me! I’ve tried and failed with loads. I thinks it is the kissing frogs analogy! But I have my Prince now!

Jambarissa

Visit site
Think about what you are offering and who might be interested.

It sounds like you are mainly offering the opportunity to school a horse. Who would be interested? Most experienced riders would want paying to do that Tbh. So really you're looking at someone between horses or coming back into riding or coming out of a riding school (which doesn't mean they aren't capable). So advertising at your local riding school/riding club /pony club would work. You can insist on videos of them riding or ask for references from instructor to ensure they're safe to let near your horse.

Are you offering more than this? Opportunity to compete? Guaranteed hacking in company? Boxing out with them to farm rides?

So many people are looking for sharers at the moment. The only ones I know who have been successful are the ones with bombproof hacks and the ones with established competition horses.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I tried for months to find a decent sharer, had 3 people come out and non were suitable so sorry can’t advise.

Just to share a story. Funniest one was a lady said she was an experienced rider, loaned before etc etc. My horse back then was a total dude, wouldn’t put a foot wrong but could be excitable in open spaces. She got on, we walked up the road and then trotted a few strides for a car. She slipped off the side, led in the middle of the road!

My gelding did nothing, it came to light she had only ever walked on riding school ponies!! So I’d definitely ask for videos of them riding prior to coming out!

Caol Ila

Visit site

It sounds like you are mainly offering the opportunity to school a horse. Who would be interested? Most experienced riders would want paying to do that Tbh. So really you're looking at someone between horses or coming back into riding or coming out of a riding school (which doesn't mean they aren't capable). So advertising at your local riding school/riding club /pony club would work. You can insist on videos of them riding or ask for references from instructor to ensure they're safe to let near your horse.

Are you offering more than this? Opportunity to compete? Guaranteed hacking in company? Boxing out with them to farm rides?

So many people are looking for sharers at the moment. The only ones I know who have been successful are the ones with bombproof hacks and the ones with established competition horses.
Hah! I guess it's all in how you word it. In a perfect world, the only person schooling him would be me but I recognise that with his limitations on solo hacking, I will need to suck it and let someone else school him if I want a sharer. However, hacking company is easy to come by at my yard, whether it's me going out on Hermosa or another livery, because lots of people hack.

Absolutely no to competitions or boxing out. Do I look like I have a trailer/lorry? Plus, he's an ex-feral so there is only so much I will ask of him.

There's got to be some competent uni student who's had to give up their horse and who will be happy for an equine friend to play with.

SEL

Visit site
Word of mouth if you get all your horsey contacts to ask around.

I got a share when I got back from travelling who was proving too much for his owner. During winter I was just schooling 2x week after work but I was missing horses and skint so worked well for both of us. A friend was on the same yard as the owner and put us in touch

Quite a few up on local FB pages around here.

Trouper

Visit site
I think I would be looking at this from the other end of the telescope. What are the chances of your finding a sharer with all the qualities you want to school Fin properly? Could you afford to ask a good trainer to come and school him for you a couple of times a week so that you know that his education is progressing properly and then find some hacking help who might be able to fit in with others on the yard occasionally?

suebou

Visit site
Mine posted on here that she was moving to our area if anyone knew of anything! I answered and although sharing has ended, we’re still friends and go on riding holidays and ride each others horses!
if you’re near a uni w a riding club might be worth a contact, they are often very capable riders.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think getting someone to pay for what you are offering will be difficult if they can't hack on there own and don't know anyone to rode with means they have to go in the school.

When I first got Louis he didn't hack so I advertised someone to hack out with me as I have 2 horses, I found a few people but I didn't want any money I just wanted the help so it worked out fine, I had all the control as they only rode with me but it was free.

I think you would have to hack with the person for a while until they get to know others and find hacking partners if your wanting someone to pay to ride.

He also doesn't sound straight forward so I think you might find someone good enough, I had the same issue Louis is sharp and can leap about his not for a novice to hack, I found I got lots of novice people reply and it just wouldn't work, luckily I found a lady that had her own horse but was now concentrating on having kids, she is such a good rider and loves him thankfully she is the only person I allow to ride him on her own.

I advertised on preloved and local saddlery.

Reactions: TPO

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I had same predicament with not enough time really but a sensitive mare. I'm afraid to say I didn't even advertise as I knew riders good enough to ride a lovely Welsh who needed good seat and light hands would not come free. Even though she hacked alone and was actually super fun for an experienced rider.

I didn't want the mare upset not any unexpected legal repercussions to someone over egging their experience and injuring either one of them. I paid for a rider to hack her.

maya2008

Visit site
If you’re thinking uni student, then I would offer a smaller than normal financial contribution (uni students are broke!) and advertise where they would see it (can you find details for the riding club at your local university and email them maybe?) with transport options mentioned for how someone could get to your yard if they don’t drive.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm thinking it would be smart to find a sharer for Fin now that Hermosa is in full work, and winter is about to start wintering. Two in full work in the winter seems daunting. Ideally, I could find him a twice-per-week person, as I still love riding him but having a couple days where I only have to ride and care for one horse would be useful.

I've posted on my yard faff What's App group, but a group comprised of people who own horses is probably not the best place to ask.

He needs an experienced rider who has a secure seat and light hands. He's absolutely not a novice ride; he can be sharp, sensitive, has a big spook, and he hates heavy hands. Not your stereotypical plodding bombproof Highland pony. But he's fun to ride in the school now. Very forward and working on his shoulder-in and leg-yields and so on. He also doesn't hack alone. I mean, if Warwick Schiller wanted to share him, he might be able to fix that but I would rather people just accept it.

So many shares demand too much or do things without owners consent, or conveniently forget the contracts its hard.

Caski

Visit site

I do agree with this wholeheartedly.

Currently looking for a share but have been offered a couple of 'schooling opportunities' and an amazing quasi lease for £400 a month! Whilst I am experienced, I'm getting on a bit, had I been younger I would have bought another 4yo for myself.

Now trusting to luck and a bit of patience.....

05jackd

Visit site
Having had some truly terrible experiences with several sharers now (including one recently taking a horse away without permission) I'm afraid I have decided that it just seems more hassle that its worth. I would rather my horses are safely in the field where I can see them than having someone who has no actual regard/ responsibility for their health just using them as it suits.

I certainly would not allow any children now and as I mostly have small horse/ pony types there's a limit to the amount of adults that want to ride. I hear that there are great one's out there but I am afraid its caused me nothing but stress.

pistolpete

Visit site
Nice sharers do exist but I’ve often found I either liked the horse or the owner. Both was a challenge! Found my dream share now though. Most delightful horse and fab owner. We have a laugh and rejoice in our mutual delight of being happy hackers! Are we allowed to advertise on here areas etc? Not for me but generally?

littleshetland

Visit site
I believe its frowned upon to ask people for an up to date psychiatric report, certificate of general competence and Intelligence Quota test results....so you're going to have to suss them out, watch them ride, and if they're not up to scratch, show them the red card.
Seriously tho, I guess local FB groups and 'word of mouth' is the best way. Good luck.

ponynutz

Visit site
I am a sharer/part-loaner and I put an ad out myself on Facebook and owner of part-loan contacted me :) I went and viewed a couple but he was my favourite.

I actually found it reassuring if the owner asked me lots of questions because I wanted to feel like they cared about horse as much as I knew I would if I chose to take the part-loan on. So don't feel bad for asking them lots of questions and being honest about your opinion on if horse and rider suit each other.

Tbh I do think it's luck for both people to find a good sharer/owner but properly vetting people/not just saying 'yes' to the first one goes a long way into helping the process.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
This probably isn't much help to you, but mine is at livery at a riding school and when I needed a sharer I asked the YO if she knew of anyone. Mine is a lot easier than yours sounds, but I thought her age (she's over 20) might put people off. YO asked around and found the perfect sharer. Do you know of anyone in your area who knows of lots of potential sharers?

exracehorse

Visit site

Usual local Facebook groups. And preloved. But it’s very hard to find an experienced rider. They usually own their own. I struggled for five years.