How Do You Find Good Reliable Help

jennyf

Visit site
I just wondered if any of you have someone who helps with your horses? Do you pay someone, give them some riding maybe? I'd love to find some help but am a bit wary of the pitfalls, and cannot really afford to pay. Any tips and hints anyone.:confused:

becca1305

Visit site
Ive had both. Had a girl do some mucking out etc in exchange for rides (an alevel student). She was just meant to muck out whichever horse she rode or both if rode both and turn them out. She proved unreliable, slow and lazy (the type that thought she was good enough to have free rides with no work. Shes going to have fun trying to work with horses!). I have a lovely lady ride my youngster a few times a wk as im short on time when at uni shes a freelance groom and also does some mucking out in winter. Shes reliable and I trust her with the tack room key etc shes also fully insured. If you have someone ride in exchange for 'favours' mucking out etc then make sure they have their own riders insurance and be prepared that they may turn out not to be reliable! :)

holzrokz

Visit site
Hi

Maybe getting a sharer for your horse would be an option? You wouldn't have to pay them that way and you could even ask for a small contribution towards cost from them depending on what they do. Or you could just offer offer riding in exchange for helping with stable duties. There are pitfalls and certainly people to avoid out there but there are many genuine people out there also! I've just taken on a horse to share and thankfully owner and horse are lovely but there are many crazy owners out the also (and horses :p )

To avoid pitfalls make sure the person is insured. You can give them a trial to see what they are like around your horse/riding it etc. This is a good way to check reliability. Just make a mental note of things like do they turn up on time, have the appropriate gear etc. Ask them lots of questions and maybe even get a reference from them. Stay with them until you are confident they will be reliable with your horse and ask people on the yard to keep an eye out for you.

Advertise on places like pre-loved (seen quite a few people in your area with wanted adds on there) local tacks shops etc

Hope this helps :)

canteron

Visit site
Pay .... then you have a right to be upset if someone isn't reliable.

Also, be prepared even for the nicest person to 'burn out' within a couple of years - working with horses can be lonely and unglamerous and very hard work, so I find that after a while people think it is better to work in the supermarket and have riding as a hobby.

If you are short of funds then I would suggest paying well for the important stuff (bringing in, filling haynets, whatever) but letting them have the opportunity of riding your horses if they want to. I think you are then covered for the stable chores under your household insurance, and if you aren't paying them to ride then you would be covered under a relatively economical BHS Gold membership.

SVMel

Visit site
Also, be prepared even for the nicest person to 'burn out' within a couple of years - working with horses can be lonely and unglamerous and very hard work,

From a (not very well) paid grooms point of view, remembering to say thank you goes a long way :) even though we get paid for the job, it's a real boost to hear it. I tell my owners that we'll get along well and I'll work til I drop as long as they look after their horses properly and don't take me for granted :D

Whatever route you go down, I hope that helps :D

the watcher

Visit site
From a (not very well) paid grooms point of view, remembering to say thank you goes a long way :) even though we get paid for the job, it's a real boost to hear it. I tell my owners that we'll get along well and I'll work til I drop as long as they look after their horses properly and don't take me for granted :D

Whatever route you go down, I hope that helps :D

I'll second that! Some appreciation and a thank you go a long way in an industry that is generally pretty poorly paid.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I wasn't able to ride mine recently due to an injury (me not horse); and was mooling around thinking, oh well, maybe I'd better try to do something and get up there (and risk injuring self more and/or putting recovery back); when lo and behold, a lass I've seen out hacking just in passing, came bowling into the yard, saying "I hear you're needing someone to ride yours out". Talk about perfect timing!

She can't have a horse of her own, basically has no-where to keep it plus can't afford, and rides other peoples when needed. Bless her! Wotta godsend.

She rode mine every other day; and not just slopping around, she rode him well and did him such a lot of good, and enjoyed the fortnight she was able to ride him.

No money changed hands; she was enjoying the riding, I was supremely grateful for her help. So if you can find someone like this it really is a godsend. Plus she was 100% reliable as well. Wotta star!

jennyf

Visit site
Before I got my horses, I would have been overjoyed to be able to help someone else with theirs - If I'd have found someone, I probably would never have got my own horse! I would have thought that someone would just love to be with horses, hang out, help out and learn a bit as well. I'm a TTEAM Practitioner, my 3 horses live out 24/7, barefoot, so although I'm no riding instructor, I would be able to teach quite a lot about horse keeping in general and TTEAM as well. Oh well, will give it some thought.

Thanks for your input everyone.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
we used to get a girl in.

now I find the best reliable is

A). My hubby he helps at weekends.

B) A livery , who wants to help pay their rent . I have one doing the yard today as i am off doing a sponsored ride.

We actually have 2 at the moment who help out.

We get reliable help
they can pay their livery
and who better to do the horses that someone who knows all the horses inside and out ,
know the yard regime
and has an interest to do it well
knows how i like things done.