How do you get fit for hunting?

Ahrena

Visit site
Or the horse anyway.

As this winter I plan to hunt 1 of my horses, who used to be a hunter, and just would like to know what others do to get fit for it..Only been once before so..

Thanks

Irishcobs

Visit site
It really depends how fit your horse is now and how much hunting you are going to do. We do lots of hills and canterwork. We hack about twice a week, doing lots of hills and having some good trots. We also canter twice a week and school, flat or jump. But our horses have been in work since June and have been hound exercising since the end of July.

tjmadron

Visit site
I groom for a MFH and exercise 5 days a week all road work with lots of trotting and hill work for about 45mins to an hour and started at the begining of Aug
The autumn hunting then prepares them for the start of the main season

Starbucks

Visit site
Our horses aren't let down over the summer - they don't get a break!! :p

Badger is PN event fit at the mo, although I wouldn't call that hunting fit. It is good for them to hunt to get proper hunting fit - so cubbing is good, or if that isn't an option do a few easy/short days first.

Badger is currently hacking 4 times a week - one including some fast work and either SJ/Event once a week - if not another hack with a bit of fast work.

Ahrena

Visit site
Thanks - I was worrying if my mare would be fit for a training meet and she does more work than that xD

She does about 3 hacks 1 hour-3 hours on average, and when the ground is good she does a fair bit of trot and canter work, with some faster work too. Then either 3 schooling sessions (one of which jumping) or 2 schooling and 1 show (either dressage, showing, SJ, xc or eventing)...so I think she'll be okay for a training meet?

I might be a bit paranoid because she had a v. serious injury a couple of years ago, vets have assured me she'd be fine and she's done sponsored rides at speed, as well as xc and ODEs so she ought to be fine, but just gonna do a training meet to test the water.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Just don't stay out too long, as it is nearly always when they get tired that injuries happen, particularly with hunting as the excitment means that they want to keep going longer than they might by themsleves.