How do you keep 'riding fit?'

maggiestar

Visit site
Does anyone do any extra exercise to stay in shape for riding? I try to go swimming once a week which really helps build my core strength. If I don't go I find it much harder going when I ride. No horse unfortunately so I can't keep fit by mucking out! What about everyone else - do you find that riding and stables are enough to keep fit or do you do anything else as well?

Crazycob06

Visit site
I find owning my horse is keeping me fit enough! I have lost a stone and a half since buying her 6 months ago! I do new to build more lower legs and core muscles tho, swimming would be a good idea!

maggiestar

Visit site
I find owning my horse is keeping me fit enough! I have lost a stone and a half since buying her 6 months ago! I do new to build more lower legs and core muscles tho, swimming would be a good idea!

Wow, a stone and a half, that's great! I think the trick must be to get a horse! Swimming is great because you work everything out and it's easy on the old joints :)

pippixox

Visit site
i find i do a lot of exercise around the horses, as the field isnt close to the barn i bring then into, and mucking out, so the winter when i can ride less im still active.
i actually did a half marathon in march! nothing to do with keeping riding fit really, but obviously really helped my over all fitness, and i still try to run and go to the gym reguarly, especially when its too horrible to ride- i dont see the point in riding in torrential rain, i would rather be inside at the gym! i do feel i ride better when im fitter over all

maggiestar

Visit site
Pippixox, goodness me you must be fit to do a half marathon! General stable work is really good at keeping fit isn't it? When I was younger I was a working pupil at a riding school an can attest to the benefits of carrying all those water buckets!!

Twinkley Lights, pilates sounds good, might look into that :)

Pippity

Visit site
I desperately need to do more with my core, but, erm, don't. As it is, the two weeknights I don't have RDA, I pop into the work gym for half an hour on the treadmill and the same on the weights.

If I do have RDA, I'm spending an hour walking/running round a school with pretty deep sand in places, so I figure that makes up for the loss of gym time. Honest, it does...

At weekends, I'm supposed to run to and from the stables - about a mile each way - but I tend to be lazy and spend a lot of time walking instead.

pixie

Visit site
Daily - Shifting around a barrow of water to top up the field trugs, and another barrow from poo-picking a rather steep paddock.
Three times a week - Weights (squats, dead lifts, dumbell rows, bench press etc)
Once a week - Taking my son swimming
Other - Walking to and from work (30 mins each way)

BBP

Visit site
I poledance 8hrs a week and do silks and aerial hoop as well, great for core strength and posture. I run 3 times a week (at 5am so I can fit it in before riding and work but I'm not very fit so only do 2 miles). Now trying to fit in cycling and swimming as I've got my first ever triathalon in July. Just happy I can do it all after slipping my disc 2yrs ago! My pony is quite fine so I can't afford to gain weight.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I got to the gym 3/4 times a week, do spinning, an abs class, running, x trainer, climbing machine, weights etc!

I've had horses for 13 yrs so what exercise I get from them is just what my body is used to, so to keep fit, or lose weight I need to do a lot extra! I must admit I've not ridden this winter, mainly because of illness with my 28yr old and my rising 3yr old not being old enough!

hopefully if the old ladies cough has gone, I can get out tomorrow for a plod around the block :)

VioletStripe

Visit site
I've recently started doing a bit of yoga and pilates and have found it really good for my core strength, balance and even loosening up my hips and knees which I've always had a problem with in the saddle :eek:

JustKickOn

Visit site
Just by doing stable chores and riding.
Also when I'm finished on the yard I will power walk or jog to the car, it's not far, but it's exercise. Just lots and lots of walking too. Occasionally cycle when the weather is good enough and I have a cycling buddy.

lhotse

Visit site
Apart from the usual stable jobs, which keep you pretty fit anyway, I run. I have just run my third half marathon since feb, and usually run about 20 miles a week. I do find that riding after a long run stretches the muscles and allows me to relax, and also that the running allows me to ride for extended periods of time without getting tired. Long distance running and riding are not supposed to be compatible, due to the different muscle groups used, plus riding can put abnormal stress on your knees, but I don't seem to have any problems. I'm hoping to do some endurance with my mare in the future, so the ability to run with her will come in useful.

scatty_mare

Visit site
I agree, lhotse, I also do a fair amount of running (marathon number 10 is this Sunday!) and haven't had any problems with riding. I usually go for a hack after a long run and, like you, find it useful for stretching out my calves! I also think that riding well into pregnancy has kept my core muscles strong, and that is the reason that I am able to run a marathon 3 months after having my baby... fingers crossed I am able anyway!
In answer to OP I run and do weights and circuit training. Am personal trainer so pretty active generally, but on maternity leave currently so spending a lot of time on bum feeding baby and eating for two!

pottamus

Visit site
Pilates is good in general for horsey owners - great for core strength to protect your back from all that lifting, dragging and pushing we do.
I keep fit in general by cycling 50 - 100 miles per week as I dont find I get enough of a cardio work out with my horsey stuff alone.