How do you keep sheepkin numnahs soft - mines gone crunchy?

louiseallen

New User
Visit site
As previously mentioned I have a small chestnut TB that has paper thin skin....and needs to be wrapped in sheepskin, girth sleeves, half pads, full numnahs, half numnahs you name it we have it. And it works. I get bitten less girthing up, he survives a days hunting with no rub marks or sores and can manage a whole day of dressage without falling apart...I leave them to dry, brush very well before use and wash infrequently

I have always washed as wool, used proper mattes or stephen or nuumed stuff and dried slowly over a chair in the Kitchen away from the aga....the non 'skin' backed ones are fine, brush up fluffy with a terrier brush and go on for another day.

The proper sheepskin/lambskin ones have now lost their flexibility - the 'skin' backing has gone crunchy... has anyone got any good ideas how to stop or solve this problem...it's going to start costing me a fortune to replace them all....

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hmm... maybe it depends on the make? As I have a Bartyl sheepskin saddlecloth which is gorgeous and has remained so. I wash mine in a bath with warm water and white vinegar added (and a little hand wash and fabric conditioner!). Hot water and vinegar brings my sheepskin lined fetlock boots up a treat too.

TigerLilly

Visit site
I rub cheap hair conditioner on before you put it in the washing machine comes out lovely and soft
smile.gif

Foxglove

Visit site
I have found this with the Stephens and Bartyl, I use liquid washing soap and add human hair conditioner as directed and it still goes hard. The only way I have found is to let it take days to dry somewhere cool, but it can still be a little hard.

To be honest I feel they are too expensive to end up like this and I have had one that totally changed shape and wouldn't fit the saddle - though makes a wonderful cat bed!

Nuumed all the way for me now

Apalacia01

Visit site
Stick it on the 'fluff' setting in the tumble dryer? I find that with down things etc they tend to ball up, and the setting with no heat will bounce it around and should break up the crunchiness.

Let us know how it goes

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Ditto the numed reccomendation; I wash mine everytime they are used, in with a normal load and then tumble dry them. They come up like new, and if them start to look clumpy, just brush them with the dog brush.

josiesmithuk

Visit site
When I bought my courtlea numnah I bought a tub of the leather cream that goes on the skin side. It keeps it supple and looking like new. Might be worth ringing them and getting a tub sent out in the post.

louiseallen

New User
Visit site
I think i'll try the hair conditioner before next washing - I like the idea of leather food, but can't get to the back of them as they are all nicely package in quilting - I also have a pending cat bed one....I'll let you know what happens....

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I brush mine with a plastic curry comb. I don't actually wash it all that often because it goes a bit stiff and takes about a million years to dry, so when it gets a bit sweaty and manky I brush it and it goes soft again and all the ickiness is left in the curry comb.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I rub cheap hair conditioner on before you put it in the washing machine comes out lovely and soft
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto - mine come up beautifully soft.