How do you know if land is agricultural or for equestrian use?

pootler

Visit site
Long story but we are thinking about selling some family held land which has stables and grazing. We are unsure whether it is classed as agricultural or has permission for equestrian use. How do you go about finding this out, is there something on the deeds that identifies this or is there someone we should speak to at the local council?

Any pointers would be very gratefully received.

popsdosh

Visit site
Long story but we are thinking about selling some family held land which has stables and grazing. We are unsure whether it is classed as agricultural or has permission for equestrian use. How do you go about finding this out, is there something on the deeds that identifies this or is there someone we should speak to at the local council?

Any pointers would be very gratefully received.

Has it previously used by horses ? If so it will most likely be over the time limitation so it wont be an issue re p[lanning. Some counicils are tougher than others as technically you do not need a change of use for horse grazing and their is a government recommendation to that effect but some are just using it as a money making excercise and being awkward however if it is over 6 yrs of horse use it is automatic.

pootler

Visit site
Thank you so much for coming back to me. We have owned the land since 2004 and it has been used pretty much continuously for horses so it should be fine.

Polos Mum

Visit site
It would be worth getting the local planning people to confirm in writing for your buyers solicitors - it won't be a problem if you can prove use over that time (photos etc) but it's worth a few £hundred to avoid the buyers worrying about it

MagicMelon

Visit site
Does it matter? There's never been horses on my land prior to me buying it, I just put mine on it and then easily got planning permission for stabling so I assume they didn't care either... perhaps English laws are different in this respect though?

sywell

Visit site
Does it matter? There's never been horses on my land prior to me buying it, I just put mine on it and then easily got planning permission for stabling so I assume they didn't care either... perhaps English laws are different in this respect though?
Land may be on what used to be called the parish register as agricultural and you can graze horses on agricultural land but if you feed them in the field they become kept horses and you need planning permission for change of use. Agricultural land would be subject to capital gains tax. Property with an equestrian use would also be liable for capital gains tax but the value of the house could be removed if the District Valuer agreess the value of the house. Ask professionals as it is a mine field. You cannot do Equity release on equestrian use properties.