How do you know if you are to big to ride?

Tronniehead

Visit site
I have searched Internet for last couple of days and can not find the answer.

I have started to ride on full loan an 14.1 18 year old halfinger. Owner does not seem to be concerned but am I to big?
I am 13 stone and 5.9.
My legs do come past his barrel a little.
I do consider myself a pretty balanced rider.
I don't notice him struggling and we do light hacking. No eventing. No jumping.
I have never noticed him even have a hint of sweat!
Max I ride is an hour light hack, mainly walk a little trott and a few canters.
Does not show to me that he is struggling.
But not sure how I would tell.

At the end of the day though. I don't want to hurt him. No one has ever. Said you look to big although I may do!
What do you think?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Try this. Get a light weight rider to ride him in walk and trot once warmed up. Video it. Then you get on and do the same and video that too. Compare the two video's, watching how he is moving, how he tracks up, whether he is moving freely and forward.
If you're too heavy, you'll know. I suspect that you'll be perfectly fine though.

pennyturner

Visit site
Ride horse, then turn him out in at least 10 acres.

Wait half an hour then approach with headcollar (and no treats - that's cheating). If you can't catch him, you have your answer.

3OldPonies

Visit site
When your backside spills over the back of an 18" saddle.

(Yes I have seen this, and yes the horse was buckling at the knees) Rider is the owner and is known as 'big fat XXXXXXX'

suffolkmare

Visit site
Hmmm...a haflinger...bred as a pack-horse/all-round ride and drive utility beast in a mountainous area, and you have assessed how he copes with what you do (light hacking), so no I don't think you are too big. You obviously have his best interests at heart, and I'm sure you will check if his age starts to become a factor in how well he copes. A balanced rider and well fitting saddle counts for a lot too. Merrysherryrider's suggestion was very good and think I might consider that, as I know I am probably at the upper end of the weight range for our boy, who is not so stocky in build as the 13.3 Welshy I used to ride when I was 1/2 st heavier. Carry on enjoying him!