How do you know if your horse is happy in their saddle?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Hey hopefully you will all be able to help :)

I am about to take a very nice dressage saddle (Amerigo) on trial for 2 weeks to ensure both my horse and myself are happy. However as I haven't been very successful in my previous saddle purchasing history I want to be absolutely sure this saddle is the one.

At the fitting I found the saddle very comfy but to allow it to fit my horse it needs a little flocking added. I am hoping this will make the saddle fit perfectly. On the fitting my horse kept falling in on the left rein but not on the left and was a little tense if I am being completely honest.

I have also tried a Jaguar on him, he loved it, fitted very nicely but the seat wasn't wide enough for my wide behind (I'm only a 12 so not sure how small you should be for this saddle!) Apart from the narrow seat the saddle was lovely.

He also went very nicely in the Equipe but I couldn't get on with the block, my position is not secure enough for the long block.

I do plan to take the saddle on trial, but what behaviours/clues would you be looking for to ensure the horse is happy? I will have a lesson with my instructor to get their view as well.

Thanks for reading!

Wheels

Visit site
I think you've noticed something already, if the horse was falling in when he doesn't usually which could be an indication that something isn't quite right.

Tail swishing, reluctance to go forwards, rushing, shaking of the head - basically any resistance that is new or intensified are all indicators

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I think, with some horses you have to be very in tune with them. My gelding will tell me straight away when he is not happy. This is usually by fidgeting when I get on. If I ignore him, he will carry on the fidgeting until he just stops letting me get on full stop!

My other pony wont say a word. She would happily carry on in the same manner she normally does, even if not happy in her saddle.

I think if your horse is well behaved, responsive and willing you are certainly on the right lines, but not all horses show discomfort so it is a tough one.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Hopefully I'll pick up the saddle this week. However I think he showed some of the behaviour you stated wheels. He would take a step back before walking forwards. I think I know how this will end. Might as well start the search again or speak to a British saddle makers to see if they can tailor one of their saddles to suit him and me. The horse's comfort has to come first then I will worry about me afterwards.

Walrus

Visit site
We found it useful to have 2-3 potential saddles plus current saddle at the same session and to switch directly between them and ride in each one, and in some cases go back and forth. My pony's stride was so much longer in an Equipe and Amerigo compared to his original saddle or a Wow and my position was better in the Equipe (I was swimming in the Amerigo and the Wow was almost painful as i felt like i was bending the wrong way!). I was very lucky, my saddler let me take 3 saddles (2 second hand, 1 new), my instructor had one of hers there and i had my original and me and my instructor (who knows the pony very well) spent an hour switching between them all until we were happy!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I will try a session of swapping between my current saddle and the new one.
My horse loved the Equipe but I just had to have such long stirrups I just couldn't balance.
I'm going to go with my gut and if my horse shows any minimal signs of discomfort I'll take the saddle back.
My gut feeling is the saddle isn't suitable :(

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Not much experience with a badly fitting new saddle, but having ridden someones horse for them in a fitting the difference in the horse was obvious, previously the horse was a rusher and a giraffe, and really really tense. When the owner got a new saddle fitted, the horse was so much more relaxed, willing to go forward but not rushing, actually a nice ride (for once). So I guess it works the other way round too!

oldvic

Visit site
Would you be able to have the Equipe on trial and see if you get used to it? If it puts you in a different position it will feel odd to start with. Did you try riding a whole shorter in it? Or a few minutes without stirrups to get your balance?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I could always ask :) with the long thigh block I don't think I could have my stirrups any shorter. I didn't think about riding without stirrups. Thanks for the advice and food for thought

Firewell

Visit site
I can tell with my horse because in a saddle he likes he will take the contact down and stretch from the wither plus move forwards nicely. He feels really lazy in saddles he doesn't like, and he will try and tuck behind the bridle.
I think because you already have a niggle it is not the right saddle, it's much easier to make that decision now and find something else before you buy it!
If I was you I would keep on trying. The equipe sounds lovely but it has to fit you as well. I'm in the middle of trying to find a new saddle *again* because the one I choose my horse loves it but it does absolutely nothing for my jumping position and I have struggled for two years to jump in it.
Im actually going to try the same brand but a different more forward cut model. Maybe that's an idea. The brands your horse liked do they do any other models that might suit you, same tree and panels but different flaps and seat?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Luckily with my saddler I can trial the saddle for 10-14 days and then return for a full refund so I want to try it with the adjustments.
The Equipe I tried was the budget model (still £2k plus new 😱) so I've not any any more money to try the others in the range :(

Primitive Pony

Visit site
My vet told me to observe - or video - the horse's natural movement eg lunging or even better, free schooled. Then do the same with saddle and rider, and if the natural movement is noticeably hindered, the saddle doesn't fit - not the only measure, obviously, but the principle is a good one, I think!

Last edited:

Britestar

Visit site
Mine would quite simply put you on the floor if he was not happy. His current saddle would not be a text book fit, but he is happy so we just go along with it.
I would really like to try another saddle that would help me a bit more, but I'm reluctant to take a flying lesson if he thinks he doesn't like it!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Would you be able to have the Equipe on trial and see if you get used to it? If it puts you in a different position it will feel odd to start with. Did you try riding a whole shorter in it? Or a few minutes without stirrups to get your balance?

This is what I would do. I think you've already ruled out the amerigo and there's no point in having the trial if he doesn't normally show that behaviour sadly.

I do think once you find the right type of saddle for your type of horse it should be easy. Since buying a saddle made for my specific type of horse, I have found it to fit all three of my similar type of horse. Which is a bonus :)

soloequestrian

Visit site
I used to do a bit of work with Balance International, and their whole saddle fitting approach revolves around respecting the horse's feelings towards the saddle. If you can. have a saddle session with one of the TRF's - even if you don't like the approach, it would give you a really good experience to compare other saddles to. I found that there is a certain look that a lot of horses get when you find the saddle they really like - sort of 'inward looking' and relaxed, and often there is a change in movement for the better.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I want to give the amerigo a quick trial as the flocking would have been changed to suit my horses shape, but if he shows any signs of discomfort it'll be sent back for a refund. Please don't think I'm being thick headed but if I don't try it I will always think, what if. At least if I trial it and the horse says no I can just remove it and never pop one on his back again.
I've been out all day today so I haven't managed to speak to the other saddler regarding a trial of the Equipe, I'm not sure if the store would allow it but don't ask, don't get! I would like to try a jaguar mono flap on him as he liked the jag XKF but I hated the seat. Not sure if the mono flap has a larger seat but it's worth a try! if none of the options above suit I'll speak to the saddler about a few other options such as custom Ideal or Exselle.
Saddle buying is so frustrating!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
We operate on the basis that legally, if a saddle fitter comes to you, you are entitled to a seven day trial.

I would say that horses can go well in saddles that don't fit - if you put a saddle on that places pressure on different spots to the old badly fitting one the horse feels immediate relief, so you need to trust that the fitter is also following most, if not all, of the rules. Some horses really do prefer to go "off piste" and the saddle fitter and owner need a discussion so all are aware of what is happening, as the saddle will not be a text book fit and will need watching carefully. Some horses who are damaged for instance do prefer a little movement in the saddle as they can't bear the intense contact of a really stable saddle, they are very rare. Less rare are those who like to be fitted a little wide and padded up. Just two examples.

I think it's worth you trying the Amerigo with the flocking correction if you can get a refund, legally the card costs can be taken off, which for a credit card can add up a little (4%). Always easier when the second best option comes from the same fitter so no need for a refund!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I will trial it, but I just need to make sure my horse is happy. He will need either a Prolite or sheep skin underneath due to extra condition he gains in summer

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Finally picked up my saddle on Saturday. I tried it tonight and yes it doesn't fit at all. The additional flocking has lifted the front and now rocks across his wither. My horse wasn't happy at all, his paces were short & he was a little nappy. The saddle will be going back and the search continues :( thanks for all of your advice

Firewell

Visit site
At least you have a horse who tells you quite clearly!
I am having a friggin nightmare with saddles atm so I feel your pain!

Rivendell

Visit site
My vet told me to observe - or video - the horse's natural movement eg lunging or even better, free schooled. Then do the same with saddle and rider, and if the natural movement is noticeably hindered, the saddle doesn't fit - not the only measure, obviously, but the principle is a good one, I think!

Wow this is such a good idea!