How do you know if your ready to start learning to jump?

Emily Jones

Visit site
So.. I’ve been riding for a while and my riding instructor says we are going to start jumping soon, I don’t know how long soon means but anyway I thought I would ask on here...

What sort of things do instructors look for before starting to teach people to jump and how do they know when they are ready?
- Jump position in canter
- stand up in canter
- canter with no stirrups
- canter poles
- how straight I am towards the poles
- correct position all the time
etc...

Are any of those needed or what else.. just trying to work out what I need to improve to start sooner as I can’t wait!! I used to jump but took a break for 4 years at 11yrs old so now i’m riding again at 15yrs and i’m very excited!!

Mule

Visit site
Everything you said demonstrates readiness. Straightness was my bete noir ;), we got there in the end.

Lissie2

Visit site
Sounds a lot simpler than it is but I think that sense of inherent balance that comes
with lots of practice; things like being able to keep your seat and adjust your balance with a spook or mistep. Being able to trot and canter in two point as that also relates to balance and being able to adjust with the horse. X

oldie48

Visit site
From what I've seen at local UA shows, many of the competitors would not be able to do what is on your list. I never did a lot of jumping as I have a back injury but I was initially taught to take a two point seat and give with my hands over the jump. You just wait for the jump to come to you, no folding, head up, look up. works a treat over small jumps, and you don't interfere with the horse. There's no reason why you can't start jumping like this as soon as you can balance in a two point seat in canter

LMSmith

Visit site
I am 27 years old and have only just got myself a horse who is able to allow me to start jumping lol.

I have ridden all my life and can count on two hands how many times iv jumped up until I got my new horse :) just take things slowly and see how you feel. Jumping is not for everyone either, some people prefer flatwork etc.