how do you know your horse is happy with you?

bluewhippet

Visit site
Im not sure what anyone will think , but I have an arab, who continously bites....I have been told its a sign of affection?, He would bite most people, but not as much as me, who normally handles him, who he bites all the time, and Im not talking litle bites, but proper bites, it doesnt matter how much you tell him off, he still does it, and Ive had him 17 years !!! Could it be a sign of happyness?, I have no idea?
Mine's an Arab and he has a tendency to bite or nip. I think he considers it playful! He is so good generally and such a nice horse, would never dream of kicking and is lovely to ride, calls to me the moment he sees me and we spend ages nuzzling together. But before a ride, when he's fidgety and bored he will try to bite. And I've had him a year and am pretty firm (for a complete soft touch!) but he still seems to find it fun!

bluewhippet

Visit site
And I know mine is happy because he makes it so clear when he is unhappy - really spooking and backing and headshy etc.

When he is happy and relaxed, he is just so easy to look after and to ride. And I can't imagine why he wouldn't be happy. He clearly loves long hacks and that is mostly what we do and he strides along, ears forward - just so willing.

And the yard he is on is so nice. And I am his first owner who has bothered with him for years, and he gets very bored without being ridden, he hangs about round the gate waiting for me.

Tormenta

Visit site
Ask an animal communicator... duh?

*likes above*

Seriously, I have one who is a 'worrier' because of his history, 'one who was a hand reared spoilt madam' and one who can quite quickly revert to being an utter 'bitch' because of her past. I am not sure if it's happiness though but it certainly is recognition, respect and association with comfort, food and companionship, they certainly like me because they will seek me out individually for my attention and touch.

0ldmare

Visit site
Ah I know my old mare so well, I can pretty much read her like a book.

She's not a very demonstrative horse but she gets a 'soft' look in her eye and she watches me constantly, looks alert if I vanish out of sight and relaxes when I reappear. When she's very happy she sways her head fairly sharply to the left and then slower to the right (I know she's a v odd old girl :D ).

Its funny I can tell when she's lame without her needing to move, she just has a particular shut down look on her face, which is different to her 'I'm hurting somewhere else' face

God you probably think I'm bonkers... :D

Tamba

Visit site
Mine's an Arab and he has a tendency to bite or nip. I think he considers it playful! He is so good generally and such a nice horse, would never dream of kicking and is lovely to ride, calls to me the moment he sees me and we spend ages nuzzling together. But before a ride, when he's fidgety and bored he will try to bite. And I've had him a year and am pretty firm (for a complete soft touch!) but he still seems to find it fun!

I think it may be because they are quite easily bored, so its just something for them to do...I also have a warmblood, westfalian, who likes to play with everything in his mouth.. even turns on a tap, can open doors... again, hes seriously clever, so I think its fun for him !!
not sure now, if the majority of arabs bite..must research out of interest !

bluewhippet

Visit site
I think it may be because they are quite easily bored, so its just something for them to do...I also have a warmblood, westfalian, who likes to play with everything in his mouth.. even turns on a tap, can open doors... again, hes seriously clever, so I think its fun for him !!
not sure now, if the majority of arabs bite..must research out of interest !

Can you let me know the results of your research? Mine is much more loving at the end of a ride - all relaxed and soft and cuddly - before a ride he is too keyed up for much more than a good scratch of me or a quick bite (not that I"m a doormat or anything!)...

LittleMouse

Visit site
Mouse is a PROPER foody and so it allways makes me smile when he chooses to come over and give me a nuzzle rather than munching on his haylage :D xx

bluewhippet

Visit site
Bluewhippet mine too and hes so excited at the start that he hiccups when tacked up!!!!

Sound very similar. I am quite well matched with him because I don't like standing around doing too much before the ride (as you would tell from the state of my grooming/horse beauty care..).

dafthoss

Visit site
Because he puts up with me :cool:. He isnt a people pony but if he doesnt like you he will get rather stroppy at you.

He would love me if I gave him as much feed as he could eat and never rode him but sadly for him thats not what happens.