How do you make sense of affiliated showjumping???

Mark & Carrie

Visit site
We are finding huge difficulty in understanding all the BSJA affliated shows and how to qualify for different competitions and what leads to what when it comes to the affiliated world!

Does anyone have any idea where we might be able to find some useful information on what you can actually do in showjumping as an amateur that is easy to understand?!?!?!
:confused:

Thought it might be nice to plan a few goals for this year and next in terms of competition but we have NO IDEA what is a good competition and what isnt and how one qualifier leads to another!!!

Any ideas?!?!

DuckToller

Visit site
Daughter and I had a similar problem a few years back. It's a jumble of sponsors' names and how you are supposed to know what you should be jumping I don't know either!

One thing we did find out was that there is nothing remotely amateur about the National Amateur qualifiers, and in particular the 2nd round of the 1.10 qualifier was nowhere near 1.10 either - it was huge! We didn't realise just how big or how technical it got in the 2nd rounds, and we were told all those that enter with the aim of getting to the finals jump at a level or two below what they can in the first round.

Now in Pony Club that would be called pot-hunting but it's what you do in BS apparently.

sassybebe

Visit site
The BS website has quite clear rules on specific qualifying comps like for blue chip and scope. It depends on the level you are competing and the winnings of your horse. As a general rule qualifiers will be tougher than a normal class at the same height so you ideally want to be dropping down a level to have the best chance in finals.

kizzywiz

Visit site
Daughter and I had a similar problem a few years back. It's a jumble of sponsors' names and how you are supposed to know what you should be jumping I don't know either!

One thing we did find out was that there is nothing remotely amateur about the National Amateur qualifiers, and in particular the 2nd round of the 1.10 qualifier was nowhere near 1.10 either - it was huge! We didn't realise just how big or how technical it got in the 2nd rounds, and we were told all those that enter with the aim of getting to the finals jump at a level or two below what they can in the first round.

Now in Pony Club that would be called pot-hunting but it's what you do in BS apparently.

The rule book will tell you the heights/widths for all classes, jump off height/width & the same for second rounds. I always take into account the jump off height, which is generally 10cm higher than the first round & make sure I am comfortably jumping at least this at home. How is it pot hunting to take into account the height & technicality of the second rounds? This would sound like sensible planning to me, no point entering & travelling to the show to discover it is actually 1.20 with a 1.30 jump off if you were expecting to jump 1.10. The finals are full on up to height & you need to be quick to win, thats why its the finals!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Firstly this is a link to British Show Jumping Rules:

http://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/_files/Rule & Year Book 2011.pdf

You need to think about what your horse can realisticly jump, you will find that the jumps at an affiliated show will be considerably bigger & wider than you will be used to at most local shows.

There are some lower classes but most will start with 'British Novice' & then move onto 'Discovery', these are 90cm & 1mtr classes & are normally jumped by the more novice horse.

You have obviously seen 'Amateur' classes, don't let the name fool you, the horses that jump in these classes are normally very experienced & have probably jumped bigger classes & have won sufficient money that they are now out Newcomer, Foxhunter etc but are now unable to jump the bigger classes for various reasons. They will now jump in Amateur classes whicj is why they are thought of as speed classes.

If you manage to jump 4 double clear rounds in British Novice in the 12 month period you will qualify for the 'Second Rounds' which will be held later in the year. This second round consists of 3 rounds of jumping & if you go clear & get to the third round of jump off you will be jumping a massive course which will be around 1.20mt if I remember correctly.

Have a read of the rules, link above, & you will find out most of wghat you want to know. Also go along to some affiliated jumping & see how things are & you'll get a good idea of what you have to look forward to.

Good Luck. :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
I started it when it was a rule book not a website & haven't done it since I was pregnant with my 7 yr old so not up to date enough to be sure I'm correct on different qualifiers. But as well as what's already been said, I recommend asking someone who does a lot to answer questions, that's how I learnt most. I'd do as Toby zaphod says & aim for bn second rounds as a first goal, that was mine.
And regarding pot hunters, agree 100% with kizzywiz. Amateur in bs doesn't mean for beginners.

kizzywiz

Visit site
I started it when it was a rule book not a website & haven't done it since I was pregnant with my 7 yr old so not up to date enough to be sure I'm correct on different qualifiers. But as well as what's already been said, I recommend asking someone who does a lot to answer questions, that's how I learnt most. I'd do as Toby zaphod says & aim for bn second rounds as a first goal, that was mine.
And regarding pot hunters, agree 100% with kizzywiz. Amateur in bs doesn't mean for beginners.

Definately agree with the amateur isn't for beginners, I am happily jumping BN but for some reason hate the 90cm amateur courses & won't even enter the classes. My pro friend who helps me at shows says the courses are harder in the amateur classes because more experienced horses jump them, while BN is aimed at novice horses.

Mark & Carrie

Visit site
Thanks everyone...appreciate the help!!!

Whilst our boys are both jumping around 1.20 at local shows and at home we were going to start them off at 1m in the affiliated ranks to "get their eye in" and see how they got on.

One of ours is a relatively new horse who has former BSJA experience with his old owner (and I think some points) but that was a few years ago.

The other one is a former dressage horse who turned out to be born jumper so he is literally new to the game despite being a slightly older horse. He has been up to 1.30 at home but that was more of a one off so think between 1m and 1.20 is about right for him now.

Definately think Novice is for us as sounds about right based on what they can do now.
Thanks for the advice on the national amateurs though....definately good to know!!!!