How do you measure what height horse/pony you need in a trap?

cariad

Visit site
I have just bought a 2 wheeled trap in need of cosmetic restoration, though basically sound, for very little money. It is sort of a dog/rally/pleasure type trap; takes two people on a bench type seat.

As title, how do you measure what size horse/pony will fit the trap? I have a Fell 3 yo, but the trap looks like it might take a 14-15 hh at a guess and he will probably not make more than 13hh, given his breed, which is fine.

Thanks.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Check the length too, from the tug stop to the front of the trap for the length of pony. I had to sell my trap as my pony was too long for it ?

Reactions: tda

cariad

Visit site
Gosh, I need to learn a whole new language! What is a tug stop? if I ever do get round to thinking of driving, I will join a driving club or something. I do like the idea of it, especially as I don't really ride any more. It was just such a bargain at auction I couldn't resist.

Cheers.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Gosh, I need to learn a whole new language! What is a tug stop? if I ever do get round to thinking of driving, I will join a driving club or something. I do like the idea of it, especially as I don't really ride any more. It was just such a bargain at auction I couldn't resist.

Cheers.
It's the pokey bit that sticks out at the side of the shafts a foot or two back from the end that keeps the loops on the side of the saddle pad in the right place.

cariad

Visit site
Thanks all. That's a really useful diagram. Mine is like that. There was also what I believe was an Irish jaunting cart, but one you sit in, a bit like a sort of tub cart, not the sort where you sit facing outwards on the sides. That was very cheap as well and I rather wish I could have bought that one as well now. But this one was just an impulse buy really and I was a bit surprised to get it. Auctions are dangerous things!

Katastrophykat, no not Wales, despite the name! Lincolnshire.