How do you muck out Bliss?

IsabelleJ

Visit site
I have switched from straw to Bliss as I have heard that Bliss is quite economical for messy horses and I hate that straw doesn't soak up the wee. The problem I am having is that half the floor is wee, and I ended up taking out one and a half barrows today. The bed was made with three bales of Bliss on Friday.

How does everyone else deal with the wee? Do you sort of deep litter it and take the wee out once a week? I could see bits of wee at the top of the bed - I don't mind leaving those in, but the massive heavy clumps are what I have to take out. Any tips on managing the bed much appreciated! At the moment we seem to be on track to using two bales a week, which is what I want, but I'm struggling as to the best way to manage things. Should I just leave the bottom bit undisturbed or something?

Thanks for any tips, I do like the stuff so far, apart from the smell which gives me a really nasty taste in my mouth
frown.gif

Isabelle

emerald2006

Visit site
the straw should have soaked up the wee provinded it was a big ebough bed. i have always had my horses on big straw beds and not had a problem. if it is anything like shavings then all the wee should be at the bottom of the bed in which case take out the poo first then chuck all you clean stuff onto your banks. i personally wouldnt be mega fussy with this as long as no big lumps poo or big visable lumps of wet are left in. then you can go from there

Halfstep

Visit site
I deep litter with Bliss. If the bed is deep enough to start with, just take out the poo and the very wet bits and spread the clean bedding over the top. Take out all the soiled bedding once a week or so, depending on how dirty the horse is.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I changed my horse from Bliss to straw as he was too messy on bliss. He tries to bury the poo and with bliss it just broke up and I was getting through about 5 bales a week.

The old boy was on bliss all winter and he was fine. The thicker you have your bed the better it works. Just take the poo out and the wet once a week.

I have them both on straw now though.

alsxx

Visit site
The trick to bliss is keeping the bed deep enough as it is best to semi deep plitter, or full deep litter.

I had my mare on it, on box rest, and would semi deep litter, would usually take the wet out either sat or sun and then again on weds evening. I found this way, even with her being in 24/7 that the bed stayed nice and clean. I skipped out with gloves twice a day (i find gloves easier and doesn't mess with whats underneath too much). I put in one bale aevery 5-7 days!! Started the bed off with about 4 bales in 10x12.

The great thing about bliss is the wet really clumps together and almost forms a 'mat' - i find this great to muck out as you can scrape off the clean on top, and from all around and then just quickly whisk the wet out. I find with bliss that you dont get any wet bits getting mixed in with the clean like i found with shavings.

I've managed to convert two other liveries at our yard now and they love it.

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
I semi-deep litter it; take out the droppings every day and add some new bedding from the banks if need be. Towards the end of the week I take out some of the wet if it is beginning to come to the top.

I have a 16.2hh horse in a big bed and use two bales a week.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
OK, semi-deep litter is what I had decided to do after seeing it today. I will leave the wet in and try taking it all out once a week, and see how that works. Apart from trying to figure out what method is best to use with it, I am really liking the Bliss, and loving the idea that my horse gets a nice deep bed to sleep on
smile.gif

Thanks so much for the help everyone, I will just have to stop myself taking out every bit of wet I can find!!

Isabelle