How do you overcome dog addiction?

{97702}

Visit site
Yes, strictly tongue in cheek, this is intended to be a giggle :)

I currently have 4 greyhounds/lurchers who I adore.... but I still find myself looking at pictures of rescue greyhounds/lurchers and wanting to give them a home! Is there a limit to how much love you can have for your dogs? When do you know you have 'too many'? :D

I have only had Mille since June but she has already firmly established herself in our household, I was so worried when she went in to be spayed yesterday - luckily she has bounced through with no problems (phew!) so lots of lurcher hugs today :D

Of course I do appreciate that I am simply very odd, and 2 dogs are usually enough for most people.......

Clodagh

Visit site
Well I am not the best person to comment, I have 3 and it will be 4 next year. As I said on your horsey thread, when I got rid of horses I just got more dogs. They are cheaper, easier and almost earn their keep. (Well, not really but you know, I can kid myself!!).

ETA Glad spaying went ok.

planete

Visit site
Sorry, can't help. Toddling into my seventies with three lurchers and a terrier. The numbers also increased when I had to give up riding! I have had to give up fostering though as bounce plus non existent training was becoming a step too far. My philosophy is you do not give up anything until you are absolutely forced to do so.

Chiffy

Visit site
The answer to your question is....you don't! You are inflicted with the pleasure and the pain for life.
As Planete, don't give up till you have to. Nice to hear someone my age still with dogs although I may have been a tad silly getting another high energy flatcoat puppy. Hoping she will keep me young, not wear me out.
I try hard not to look at too many rescues, I would love another older one like dear Finley Goldie, we shall see!
I am definitely addicted and incurable!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have no idea! My OH is the only thing that stops me. Floyd is just over a year old now and I'm hankering for another one. A nice brindle bitch like Millie would fit in just brilliantly! Having now started carriage driving and spending eye watering amounts of money I think even my OH is wishing we'd got another dog instead :lol:

BBH

Visit site
I only ever had one at a time until I took on a rescue girl, then another of the same breed needed a home so she moved in and another boy needed a home so he moved in.

What I noticed was than other than costs it took no more effort to look after 3 as opposed to 1.

As long as you have space and finance and don't end up compromising cleanliness , health and wellbeing of all I'd say have as many as you want.

The only consideration is making provision for them in the event of your death .

{97702}

Visit site
Get some cats. They'll cure a dog addiction almost immediately, because they are So Much Better.

This did make me smile - unfortunately I have to admit that a cat would last approximately 5 seconds in my household! I know a lot of greyhounds and lurchers live quite happily with cats, mine are "not cat safe" in any way.....

{97702}

Visit site
Well unfortunately none of you have helped at all :D I sort of said to my OH that when I eventually lose my older dogs (Hoover and Flick are 11 now, Amy is about 9) that I won't get any more..... somehow I don't see that happening :)

I totally agree that once you get more than 1 dog numbers are irrelevant - 4 are just as easy as 2 for me now :)

Moobli

Visit site
Ha ha I love being addicted to dogs and have been obsessed with them for as long as I can remember! Between my hubby and I we have 12 dogs! Only three and a half of those are mine though :) I am really a one dog at a time person though - preferring to pour all my time and attention into one dog at once, but of course it is perfectly possible to love multiple dogs at any one time.

I can't ever imagine a time in my life that I will be without dogs.

gryff

Visit site
Well, I would love more too, so can't really comment.
I'm bred that way, my late grandmother had 15 whippets!
15 whippet is what will happen to me when I did and go to heaven 💕💕💕
When my old girl died 10 weeks ago, I said let's just keep it to the 2 lurchers. I'm currently sat here with a 13 week old lurcher pup on my lap, having decided 3 really is the magic number. I'm completely besotted with him.
dheSwbO.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
15 whippet is what will happen to me when I did and go to heaven 💕💕💕
When my old girl died 10 weeks ago, I said let's just keep it to the 2 lurchers. I'm currently sat here with a 13 week old lurcher pup on my lap, having decided 3 really is the magic number. I'm completely besotted with him.
dheSwbO.jpg

OMG he is absolutely gorgeous :) :) :) no wonder you are besotted, it is pictures like that which make me think no-one would notice another little one..... :D

I agree that 15 whippets sounds absolutely wonderful :) mind you, my 78 year old mother still has probably a dozen cavaliers so I think really I have no hope! :D

MyBoyChe

Visit site
How unhelpful was posting that gorgeous puppy pic :) :) Hes lovely. I have 3 and really struggle sometimes not to get a 4th, especially when I see pics of puppies for sale or a really sad case appears somewhere looking for a home. We are planning to keep it to 2 for the future but not sure how that is actually going to work in reality :) I mean Ive already got 4 bowls, about 10 leads and assorted sizes of spare dog coats so how easy would it be to sneak another one in!

RubysGold

Visit site
We have 9 dogs. The most we have had was 11. Which eventually dropped to 8 and then we went back up to 11, back down to 8 and then we got another from a friend when she passed away.
I don't imagine we'll ever have just a couple of dogs

Equi

Visit site
I could take every dog i see on the interweb, esp the old, ugly types that noone else is likely to take. I have two at the mo, and have to say the reality of dogs is much more horrible than the idea lol im definitely NOT a dog person.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Gryff I love him!

Is it an issue though, Lev? Dogs are so much nicer than people, I think it's fine to collect them!

My OH and I both said last night, if it weren't for the fact that all of these (bar the one we are keeping) bundles are going to amazing homes with friends and family, we would keep them all. I love being the crazy lady with 8 retrievers!

vi4IzSU.jpg

Clodagh

Visit site
Gryff I love him!

Is it an issue though, Lev? Dogs are so much nicer than people, I think it's fine to collect them!

My OH and I both said last night, if it weren't for the fact that all of these (bar the one we are keeping) bundles are going to amazing homes with friends and family, we would keep them all. I love being the crazy lady with 8 retrievers!

vi4IzSU.jpg

Oh wow. MOC will be overcome when she sees them! Gorgeous.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Appeard you're not alone in your "oddness"! I'm afraid there is no cure for dog addiction. I tried to set myself a limit of 4 .... but currently have 5 with next pup also booked. Hubby doesn't help as he says "Yes!" all the time. Sadly, the addiction seems to spread to horses too! Ideally i'd love to have two dogs & one horse, but it never seems to work that way!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Gryff I love him!

vi4IzSU.jpg

OMG just want to climb in for puppy cuddles!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
There is no cure but more dogs - sorry doesn't help does it!

I've got three, hoping a litter early next year which I'm hoping to keep one from. I would have more if my hubby would allow it!