How do you price your foals to sell?

imafluffybunny

Visit site
I have bred my first WB foal this year with plans to sell her at some point. My mare is very well bred as is the stallion, obviously I want to sell her to go on to have a successfull competition career, she is only 10 weeks old at the moment so i am in no rush but would appriciate some advise on where to sell and how to price her. Thanks

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Depends a bit if it's 'fashionable' breeding - but as a rule of thumb, a weanling (horse, not pony) out of a decent mare SHOULD be priced ROUGHLY by one of the three formulas that follow:

Easy one - 8 - 10 times the stud fee (works reasonably well if the stud fee was 'realistic')

OR

Stud fee+ 10-20% of mare's broodmare value +£2,000 (to cover vet costs, keep etc. - and it MIGHT if your costs weren't pushed up by OTT vet costs or high livery costs.)

OR

Estimate the value of the foal as a just backed and riding away quietly 4 year old. Deduct £750 x 3 for keep costs, and another £750 for backing and you have a price for the weanling. SO, if you expect the 4 yo backed to be worth £6,000 - the weanling should be worth £3,000.

Of course, at the end of the day - ANY horse is worth only what a buyer is prepared to pay and the owner is prepared to accept!

emilyandnessa

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Depends a bit if it's 'fashionable' breeding - but as a rule of thumb, a weanling (horse, not pony) out of a decent mare SHOULD be priced ROUGHLY by one of the three formulas that follow:

Easy one - 8 - 10 times the stud fee (works reasonably well if the stud fee was 'realistic')

OR

Stud fee+ 10-20% of mare's broodmare value +£2,000 (to cover vet costs, keep etc. - and it MIGHT if your costs weren't pushed up by OTT vet costs or high livery costs.)

OR

Estimate the value of the foal as a just backed and riding away quietly 4 year old. Deduct £750 x 3 for keep costs, and another £750 for backing and you have a price for the weanling. SO, if you expect the 4 yo backed to be worth £6,000 - the weanling should be worth £3,000.

Of course, at the end of the day - ANY horse is worth only what a buyer is prepared to pay and the owner is prepared to accept!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Post... thanks i will keep this is mind for future.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Also, keep in mind that the above, while a sensible formula, only applies if the foal is not only correct and good quality but "as expected".

If you are unlucky enough to get a foal that is not of expected quality from a particular cross you might be able to get more for it than a foal of similar quality from a less fashionable cross but not as much as you would for an outstanding individual. That said, people seem less able to tell the difference in foals
wink.gif
so if you've got one that's not cream of the crop try to sell it early.
smile.gif

I've seen quite a few breeders baffled because they can't easily sell a particular well bred horse and then seen the horse itself and thought, "I have a clue why that might be . . . "
wink.gif

Also, it helps if the foal is what people looking for the bloodlines you're offering want. A foal that is not typical can be less appealing to the sort of buyer more knowledgeable about and wanting to spend money on bloodlines.

Of course, if you don't ask, you don't get.
smile.gif

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?

This makes a foal from a £500 stallion worth at least £4000 and one from a £1000 stallion worth at least £8000.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
IF the stud fee was realistic - and if the mare's 'quality' or performance made it realistic to spend that much money on a stud fee - might perhaps have been a better way to put it!

If I was spending £1,000 on a stud fee it would ONLY be for a mare whose own breeding and performance made her a likely candidate to produce a VERY good foal that would sell well! If the £1,000 stud fee was for an 'ordinary' mare with no claim to fame in either her pedigree or her performance history then the stud fee would not be realistic for that mare - and the foal wouldn't be worth that sort of money.

Would anyone THINK of spending £1,000 on a stud fee for a foal that - because of mother's lack of credentials - would only be worth £3,000?? I wouldn't!

Of course, foal buyers can be very unrealistic in their expectations. I've seen ads where someone is looking to buy a good quality ISH filly - to make 16.2 - for £1,000.

Any breeder who sells a good quality ISH filly for £1,000 ISN'T running a business - they're running a charity with the beneficiaries being those people who choose not to take all the risks (and costs) involved in breeding!