How do you pronounce...

lar

Visit site
There's a well known competition centre up here called Osbaldeston. I once knew two people nearly come to blows over whether to pronounce it

Os bald ESTON

or

Os BALDerston!

(I never know how to say the name of the gloves either even though I've worn them for years - I've always said "wreck - el" - which seems to be wrong!)

muddygreymare

Visit site
You must live near ish me then, I live about an hour away from there :p I'd never thought it could be said any other way than Os-bald-eston. A friend always pronounces Roeckl as Roy-kull, everyone else I know says it like that too haha

Dumbo

Visit site
This is a helpful thread :) I don't even know how to pronouce my horse's registered name but have a better idea now! :)

slumdog

Visit site
What about Rollkur? Is it literally Roll (rhymes with pole)-kur (rhymes with fur) or Rol (rhymes will doll)-Kur. Or something else- I've never heard it said!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
How about Neue Schule? Heard some interesting pronunciations of this (I say it fancier than you ergo I know more than you!). I say Nu-shcool. Am I right or am I in fact a numpty?

Lolo

Visit site
Noy-a Shool-uh, although I reckon it could also be 'Scool-uh" depending on where in Germany you want to be from :D
(noy as in soy, shool as in cool)

joosie

Visit site
Haha, I'd always thought this was gill-it after reading it in catalogues. The first few times I heard anyone talking about gzee-lays I didn't have a clue what they were on about. It might be one of those words we've pinched from Franch or somewhere. I still say gill-it, I'm used to it (but I stick stubbornly with menage, which I grew up with, in spite of all the reasons why "it should be" manege :D ).

Yes, it's a French word meaning "waistcoat". Gee-lay is about right. I didn't realise people didn't know how to say it TBH, even before I moved to France I knew it wasn't a "gillet" :p

The menage/manege thing amuses me because hardly anyone ever gets it right. Another French word the Brits have nicked and then b*ggered up :p Although actually, a manege is specifically an INDOOR arena, not just any old arena, so even the people who say it correctly use it wrong half the time ;)

How about Aigle?

French company, French pronounciation - "Aig", the end of the word is almost silent. I always misread it and called it Agile, but now I have a friend who works in marketing for them and she has put me straight lol!

My best friend's mum pronounces chaff as "charf". Always has me in hysterics when she says it, it makes her sound so posh, and she's not!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Noy-a Shool-uh, although I reckon it could also be 'Scool-uh" depending on where in Germany you want to be from :D
(noy as in soy, shool as in cool)

Seems I'm wrong then! Will be hard to break the habit tho. I prefer my way tho - sounds like new school and I always like to think of that as some kind of mandate!

Lolo

Visit site

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Seems I'm wrong then! Will be hard to break the habit tho. I prefer my way tho - sounds like new school and I always like to think of that as some kind of mandate!

Neue Schule does indeed translate as New School - but is pronounced as Lolo has it.

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha I enjoyed this thread.

I say Stubben just as it is written stubb-en, but I have a friend who says stooben and another who says schtubben (in a slightly high and mighty way I add!) I know there is an umlaut (sp?!) Which would suggest the 'oo' sound but I'm still not convinced unless I say it in a slight northern accent.