How do you react when your horses spook (at things they have seen before)?

Neddie123

Visit site
Thank you to all for your replies and insight. Its very interesting to hear how you react to your horses differing levels of spooking. My other horse is so different so its learning what approach is best for each of them.

rowan666

Visit site
Also, I don't know if anyone else agrees but some horses respond well to strict discipline and a good telling off. I've noticed over time that these are the alpha brave bold types (the ones who probably don' t spook anyway) and the nervous neddys are the overthinkers, may be able to hold their own in a herd but only if absolutely necessary... prefer life to be just so and can't handle routine changes. These seem to be the ones that need reassurance.. reprimand just sends them over the top - not just in anticipation of the actual object but the reprimand too.
This! I have one brave as they come types who responds more to a firm hand because she will take the piss otherwise, the rest I ignore because I know a spook is genuine and they just need some reassurance with a calm seat and and encouraging voice

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm similar to Michen I'm afraid. I have no problem with a horse spooking/being startled but there is a range of acceptable responses to a genuine spook and spinning, bogging off or reversing at speed are all big no nos.

Arty mare had a spin and bog off when first backed. With training she moved past that behaviour very quickly but there is no way I would want to be riding a horse that spins and/or bogs off 4 or 5 times a ride. I don't smack personally but can usually catch them part way round, redirect and use a firm leg aid.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
One of my horses (12 yo TB) spooks at pheasants. Not unusual especially for a TB, in fact very normal behaviour. What I would like to know is how others would react to this?

Horse generally goes into canter, spins or jumps sideways and goes into canter. My reaction to any of this is to slow back to desired pace previous to incident and turn back to the original intended direction. I don't shout, panic or reprimand, I just turn him and say woah.

My partner who also rides this horse says he gives him a smack down the shoulder if he spins. My partner is an ex jockey so plenty of experience and Im now wondering if I should take a similar approach?

Given said horse is not young and has seen plenty of pheasants before I am wondering if I should be firmer when the spook happens. Very interested to hear what others do.
My mare is the queen of spooks and she jumps and turns round if something behind her, or stupid pigeons fly off, sends my heart in my mouth sometimes, as I know she has slipped on the road twice with me in the past doind this and one of the spooks resulted in my dislocation of my shoulder which still is
I also give her a calmer which puts her in a happy place still spooks still catches me out sometimes.

Neddie123

Visit site
My mare is the queen of spooks and she jumps and turns round if something behind her, or stupid pigeons fly off, sends my heart in my mouth sometimes, as I know she has slipped on the road twice with me in the past doind this and one of the spooks resulted in my dislocation of my shoulder which still is
I also give her a calmer which puts her in a happy place still spooks still catches me out sometimes.
Which calmer do you use? Im thinking (after this mornings antics) of a calmer.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I am quite shocked at how many people consider regular spinning to be ok. The odd one, I understand. But to me regularly spinning at something every time the horse spooks is in the same category as bucking and rearing- an unacceptable behaviour.

I’m not saying a smack is the way forward in this situation for every horse btw by any means, there are many ways to discipline or make the behavio7r obviously unwanted, but I certainly wouldn’t be laughing and patting the horse.

It all boils down to the horse, as an individual, in this day and age I think. Do what you need to do but there's no need for violence. Their feelings are valid and are a reflection of ours. We can afford the horse this at least considering all they have done for us in times gone by. We owe it to them to work with their fears. Once we are on their back, let us not be one of them.

rara007

Visit site
I drive pretty ‘blood’ horses. They mustn’t learn to spin under saddle (or ever). I’m very practiced at keeping calm and carrying on now. And yes even if hot and buzzy keeping them infront of the leg is absolutely key.

Neddie123

Visit site
I drive pretty ‘blood’ horses. They mustn’t learn to spin under saddle (or ever). I’m very practiced at keeping calm and carrying on now. And yes even if hot and buzzy keeping them infront of the leg is absolutely key.

Thanks for your reply. Im interested to know what you mean by 'in front of' the leg? I've heard others use this term but not sure what it means - I'm assuming it is different from being 'forward' or 'off the leg'?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Im interested to know what you mean by 'in front of' the leg? I've heard others use this term but not sure what it means - I'm assuming it is different from being 'forward' or 'off the leg'?
I actually like this analogy, to me it's all about keeping the focus on "what's the next instruction from my rider" rather than "OMG what's in the hedge". Which is why schooling on hacks is a good way to practice it.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I’m quite lucky with mine as he’s more of a looker than a spinner or anything similar. He likes to stand with his head held high like a llama, scoping the ‘threat’ out. He doesn’t tend to spook at silly stuff but genuine unknowns (we find a lot of lost balloons in the woods!), though he can be funny about white road markings. I allow him to have a short look, then he’s asked to walk on calmly. He can have a real meltdown if he’s stressed so for me there’s no point making a situation worse, and I think very few horses do fake spooks. They’re herd and prey animals, and if we ask them to go out alone or in a small group it’s not that surprising they feel vulnerable, so I try to remind myself of that too.