How do you remember yours?

JaneyB

Visit site
Dressage tests!

Do you do the 'at C canter a...blah, blah'

or

do you remember it on shapes and memorise where you're going? if you get what I mean!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I learn it by dividing a peice of paper into little rectangles, depending on how many movements in the test (eg if there are 13 movements i draw 13 boxs) and then draw each movement in each rectangle. then i draw out another arena and draw the whole test over and over again till i know it
laugh.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
I learn the patterns too, I tend to know where the movements start, but otherwise rely on shape and not letters!!

The boxes sounds complicated!!
ooo.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
I ride it through in my head. I read it and go through each movement as if I'm riding it through will know where my horse is likely to fall out on a corner or stick at a transition.

Tempi

Visit site
im one of the lucky ones who only has to read a test through once and i know it off by heart! Dont ask me how, i guess its coz i do so many that i need to be able to remember them quickly.

Ive learnt four Elementarys this week for the weekend!! Mum is amazed that i dont get them all muddle up, especially as in each one you track left after going down the centre line!

Sparklet

Visit site
I shut my eyes in a quiet place and ride the test in real time- perfectly. I then ride it in my head on my horse working out where the problem bits will be and how to ride those bits.

loopeepee

Visit site
Yep im one of those lucky ones too. But its so frustrating when I can read a dressage test through once and know it, but then A-level work I could read through, write it down, read through again etc etc, and still not be able to tell you anything about what it said - even though I would be trying desparetly to do so!!
Horses!
smile.gif

Patchwork

Visit site
Patterns... I wouldn't have a clue about which letters the movements involve. I learn it as a 'bird's eye' view of the test and then translate to an 'on the ground' version usually when I get to the venue so I know which direction I'm heading in for diagonals, etc.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I memorise it in patterns too. I also check the arena Im in and go there before I get on to make sure I know which way Im going! (my mum never understands this but sometimes the arena is the wrong way from home! I must have some built in north, east, south, west thing!!).

pootler

Visit site
I memorise patterns then ride it through in my head, imaging a perfect test and one where things go wrong that I correct. I still manage to get an error of course 50% of the time no matter how many times I learn it! durrr....

Sal_E

Visit site
MM - thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! I thought I was a freak, LOL! I have terrible problems when I get to a comp & find out the arena is 'the wrong way round'! Whenever I say that people look at me like I'm a total idiot! I got really lost the other week because I suddenly found myself at the wrog end & didn't know where I was going!

I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one with a bit of a faulty connection!

JaneyB

Visit site
Sal I have exactly the same problem with the arena 'being round the wrong way', you try and explain it to anyone and they think you're mad!!

MM that is a brilliant idea and one i'm going to do, at least that way I know where A is and I can picture the arena before hand and do the shapes in that arena, as opposed to the one at home!!
grin.gif