How do you secure your dog in the car?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
When Doug used to come to work with me I had a hatchback with a dog guard, before that a 4x4 so he used to sit in the boot of both.
Now im getting another dog who will come round with me but I no longer have a usable boot space.
I had planned on a small crate. Just bought one though and had a play around. I don’t think it’s going to work. I have no back doors and I can’t get it onto the back seat as the front seat folds forward for access to the back but it’s not enough room to get the crate through. The front seats are quite shaped so it’s not at all stable on the passenger seat.
No one ever travels in the back so I could maybe fold it down to get into place and just leave it . Not sure if it will be awkward getting him in and out though.
Dog harness type things? Anyone use them, I assume not for a young puppy but once they are used to being restrained by collars and leads etc?
Also just been looking at fabric type crates which I’d need to look at in person but figure may be slightly smaller or at least a bit more pliable to force in and out?

Skib

sites.google.com
I bought a complicated grille to fit across my old VW Golf as wealthy daughter instructed, if we were to walk her terrier. Then other daughter got a rescue, just put it on the rear seat and tethered it by its harness to a cheap gadget on the seat belt. It all ended with s.i.l. banning us from walking his dog. So problem solved. Or postponed. He did not reimburse cost.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I have crash tested hard plastic boxes in the rear of the vehicle.
Before that I used an airline crate. If I travel all three, the airline crate goes along the rear seats sideways.

deb_l222

Visit site
Boot and a dog guard. The one and only time I tried anything different with a harness / seatbelt type thing, Willow got her leg caught in the bit that attaches to the seatbelt, spun round and popped her knee out. Two grand’s worth of surgery later for a £5 device - never again!!

Some will say having them in the boot is a risk but life is a risk and in 30+ years of driving, I’ve never had a rear end shunt so I quite like those odds.

SOS

Visit site
In a crate in the boot (but it’s a large 4x4) or in the car then on the back seat attached to the seat belt. For a puppy I would place them in a large cat carrier until they were too large for that and then put them on the seat.

A few of my friends have the back seat “hammocks” for their dogs and the dogs all love it - including the friends with an Alsatian and a Fiat punto.

fankino04

Visit site
I have a "hammock" on the back seat for noodle as she can't get into the boot anymore. Given her size it's great for her and she can just lie on the back seat and not enough space to worry her being thrown around but obvs if she was smaller she would need to be secured with a harness.

maisie06

Visit site
When Doug used to come to work with me I had a hatchback with a dog guard, before that a 4x4 so he used to sit in the boot of both.
Now im getting another dog who will come round with me but I no longer have a usable boot space.
I had planned on a small crate. Just bought one though and had a play around. I don’t think it’s going to work. I have no back doors and I can’t get it onto the back seat as the front seat folds forward for access to the back but it’s not enough room to get the crate through. The front seats are quite shaped so it’s not at all stable on the passenger seat.
No one ever travels in the back so I could maybe fold it down to get into place and just leave it . Not sure if it will be awkward getting him in and out though.
Dog harness type things? Anyone use them, I assume not for a young puppy but once they are used to being restrained by collars and leads etc?
Also just been looking at fabric type crates which I’d need to look at in person but figure may be slightly smaller or at least a bit more pliable to force in and out?

I used an Ancol Travel harness when one of mine was younger, did the job and used it to walk him on as well, I had a tiny 3 door city car at the time, as we started doing more gundog related stuff and travelling further afield I upgraded to an estate and sold the horse equiptment I wasn't using any more and bought a TransK9 dog box, absolutley wouldn't be without it now....Crash tested and made to measure the vehicle, I wouldn't trust a fabric crate as if your'e in a crash the dog would have no chance and become a missile fabric crate and all...

GinaGeo

Visit site
I do a lot of motorway driving and I feel the dog is safer in the middle of the car.

I have a hammock on the back seat and he gets harnessed to the seat belt.

If I had a 4x4, I’d probably put him in a crash tested crate in the boot. But in my little hatchback I don’t think he’d be as safe as he could.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Crate with a sloped front in the boot, which fits in anything from a 3 door Clio to a LWB Shogun, plus in the rear dinette of the motorhome.

Like this.

View attachment 70638
I wouldn’t mind trying something like this, to see if it would be easier to slide I past the front seats to sit on the back, they are expensive if I can’t though!
The fabric crate I’d seen had seatbelt loops so would be secure.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hammocks look good. How would they suit a car with no back doors? Would it be a pita having to swing the front seat forward (presumably undoing it)

Tinkerbee

Visit site
For day to day use, I have a harness, I can't remember the name right now, but I believe it claims to be crash tested. For long journeys I have him in a crate, so he can get a drink as and when he wants. The crate goes on the folded down back seats but probably isn't as secure as the harness in event of a crash ?

Eta the harness is Kurgo Tru fit, it took a bit of getting used to, but I really rate it now, and he sits very happily in it.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Only other thought I had was if the dogs on the front passenger, should the airbag be off, as with a baby seat? I haven't worked out how to easily turn mine off so he goes on the back seats now.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Only other thought I had was if the dogs on the front passenger, should the airbag be off, as with a baby seat? I haven't worked out how to easily turn mine off so he goes on the back seats now.
Yes I think I’d have to turn it off. Ideally he will be on the back seat.
I was so sure I’d be able to get a small crate in and out ok.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
OH suggested I may need to change my car, I struggle to get a bale of shavings In one at a time ?
I’ve never loved a car before though, it’s staying and I will find a way round the “issues” ?‍♀️

Moobli

Visit site
What kind of car do you have?

I had a fantastic, crash tested TransK9 transit box (best on the market imo and worth the rather hefty price tag) for my Toyota Hilux and I’d definitely recommend them if they do one for your make of car. I now drive a Volvo XC70 and just have the dogs in the boot with a dog guard. I’d like another TransK9 box but it might be a squeeze for two large dogs so I’ve put my trust in the safety reputation of Volvo.

I also researched crash tested harnesses and bought a Sleepypod which has the most rigorous testing and is widely considered to be the safest but my dog didn’t appear particularly comfortable when wearing it, which was a shame.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I like the slant front crate. Eons ago they were so popular in the USA. Now everyone has a Variocage or a square/rectangular crate. Of course, most Americans drive big honking vehicles. I drive a Mazda 5 and can fit 2 crates in it. I would like to have a second larger crate but only one large crate fits.

I know people that either drive with their dogs in the back, I guess you all would call it the boot, or harnessed in to a seat belt.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What kind of car do you have?

I had a fantastic, crash tested TransK9 transit box (best on the market imo and worth the rather hefty price tag) for my Toyota Hilux and I’d definitely recommend them if they do one for your make of car. I now drive a Volvo XC70 and just have the dogs in the boot with a dog guard. I’d like another TransK9 box but it might be a squeeze for two large dogs so I’ve put my trust in the safety reputation of Volvo.

I also researched crash tested harnesses and bought a Sleepypod which has the most rigorous testing and is widely considered to be the safest but my dog didn’t appear particularly comfortable when wearing it, which was a shame.
It’s a 2 series bmw coupe so the opening bit of boot is really small and the boot separate from the car space. The back windscreen is car. The boot is basically a low rectangular dark box area. Good for little shopping bags, not anything big.

Moobli

Visit site
It’s a 2 series bmw coupe so the opening bit of boot is really small and the boot separate from the car space. The back windscreen is car. The boot is basically a low rectangular dark box area. Good for little shopping bags, not anything big.

Probably best with a really good, crash tested harness then.

windand rain

Visit site
A crate in the boot for the adult a padded plastic pet carrier for the pup while he fits. Will have towels and toys in it when we collect him

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If small enough to go in one of my larger cat transports (as I recall it, I could easily fit three 8 weeks old Finnish Lapphund puppies into one of them around 12½ years ago), I let my new puppies travel in a cat transport. But by around 12 weeks or so I've usually began to start trying to travel them in car harnesses.

Usually haven't taken me more than 1-3 trips with puppy in a car harness before they've learnt that they get in, and spend most of the travel time sitting or lying down, because the more they move around, the more twisted up their car harnesses usually becomes, which leads to less ability to move around, and the more boring travel time are for them.