How do you stop mane rubbing away from winter neck rugs?

lisab

Visit site
Anyone know? Having Teebag clipped on Sunday as he looks like a big brown bear so I'll have to rug him up.

But his mane has only just recovered from last winter where the neck rugs rub it out.

Cold horse/nice mane or warm horse/manky mane - no choice really. Don't want a cold horse.

Same every year. Pain in the wotsit.

Boxers

Visit site
Then don't put the neck on.

Think back 20 or so years ago (don't know how old you are) and rugs didn't have necks on them and horses were fully clipped and wearing neckless rugs and were quite warm enough.

My horse lost his mane last winter and so this winter I am planning to rug him without his next cover on, even though he will be fully clipped. He lives in in the winter for about 20 hours per day and so I don't believe he will be cold.

charlie55

Visit site
I had major problems with my lad, i then got told to stitch silk inside the neck cover where it will touch the mane, never rubbed since x

SVMel

Visit site
Same problem here, only on 1 of mine (but will probably end up being all 4 this winter, kknowing my luck!!!) found it was due too grease build up on rug neck. First time ever last winter, but it was their 1st winter out 24/7, she was full clipped and did get very greasy.

I stitched some silky material to the inside of the neck, but too late, she lost half (growing back now). She will get too warm with a lycra hood on, so am going to make neck cover shaped inserts to velcro to the inside of the rug, so I can change and wash them regularly this winter. And I'm hoping to have the shelters sorted so that they can be shut in for the occasional night thus giving their necks a break from the rugs!!!!!

Flipping horses!!!!!!!

Ps, brewers yeast? really? Hope that works, I'll be getting some!!!

Charlie007

Visit site
Last year I bought a mark todd fly sheet. It has a bit of elastic to make the hood fit better at the base of the neck. It didn't rub all summer so at the minute I am using it as an under rug to try and stop the rubbing....so far so good......

mclelkat

Visit site
I had some success last year by spraying the mane with mane and tail conditioner to make it really shiny and slippy. Her mane was fine for the first couple of months with a medium weight rug plus removable neck but when the really cold weather arrived and I put on a very heavy rug with fixed neck the mane disappeared anyway. I'm hoping this year the medium weight rug will be enough.

Sanolly

Visit site
Then don't put the neck on.

Think back 20 or so years ago (don't know how old you are) and rugs didn't have necks on them and horses were fully clipped and wearing neckless rugs and were quite warm enough.

My horse lost his mane last winter and so this winter I am planning to rug him without his next cover on, even though he will be fully clipped. He lives in in the winter for about 20 hours per day and so I don't believe he will be cold.

So would you think that 2 native ponies that will be out for about 8-10 hours a day will be fine blanket clipped with no necks on their rugs?

**Vanner**

Visit site
I've known people use pig oil to prevent rubbing (it's not just for the hairies :) )

I'm clipping and rugging this year but am going old school and doing the whole no neck (((shock horror))) thing - like i used to do 20 yrs ago with my full clipped hunter - sure a trace clipped cob will cope.

Luci07

Visit site
Someone on here last winter suggested baby oil. I have been using this already on my horse and in the latter part of the winter.. and it did work! Interesting about the grease though - I change the sheets under the rugs regularly and also the under rugs to help stop the build up of dirt.

lisab

Visit site
Thanks very much for your replies. I don't think I could bring myself to turn him out neck-naked being fully clipped but I think it would be ok in the stable with an extra rug on.

Thanks again :)

moses06

Visit site
Just don't use them!! Horses - even fully clipped ones - have survived quite nicely, well rugged up in normal rugs before these horrendous things came along.....