How do you tell someone .....

pansy

Visit site
That they aren't capable
I know someone who wants to take horse out say hunting they are a novice rider & horse is unfit , has been giving horse food to fizz it up so now thinks the horse is up for it - I could be wrong but think a nasty accident could be looming for rider & horse - I have mentioned that at the moment it may not be the sensible thing to do but they know better (0nly had horse for 4 months) am I just interfering ? wwyd - thanks for reading xx

touchstone

Visit site
If you've already mentioned that they might not be ready and they know better, then I'd leave them to it. Hope they both manage to stay safe though!

holeymoley

Visit site
Just mention you hope they have vet fees covered in their insurance or spare money put aside and that make sure someone's available if or should I say when they need driven to A&E....

RainbowDash

Visit site
Personally I'd butt out but suggest she check she has the correct insurance in place for both horse and rider. Even the most experienced rider can have an accident hunting - a fella at our yard has been out of action for 2 years after a nasty fall and he's hunted for 40 odd years.

Moomin1

Visit site
It may not be your business as such, but I fully agree that you did the right thing in raising your concerns. :)

If said person doesn't take your advice, then unfortunately there's not a lot you can do now, but hope things go smoothly. :-/

pansy

Visit site
Thank you or your replies didn't think there was a lot else I could do but it's so bloody frustrating that the poor horses could get injured through someone's stupidity :(

EstherYoung

Visit site
There's hunting and there's hunting... If she won't listen to you telling her not to go and you still want to try and do something, you may need to be more constructive. Just some ideas off the top of my head:

- Has she ever been to watch a hunt? If not, maybe suggest she goes as a foot follower first. If she sees what's involved for herself she may realise she needs to delay her attendance.

- Maybe take her out for a longish, slightly faster than normal hack, with some jumping. If she struggles with that she may realise she still has work to do.

- Is there a quieter pack she could go with? Some hunts do beginner days - my friend did one and said it was surprisingly sedate, she never came out of trot, and all the jumps were optional.

- Is there someone else going that she can buddy up with who would keep an eye on her and send her home if she or the horse seem to be struggling?

At the end of the day though, I'll bet she won't be the only one of dubious fitness and questionable riding ability out there....

x-di-x

Visit site
There's little more you can do if you've already expressed concerns :(. However you could use the insurance excuse!

Say to them that if they intend to go hunting they'll need to read their insurance policy carefully to ensure they have cover! When I was looking at polices, Bsja, low level XC dressage & endurance were all covered. Hunting however was only covered at the top level (ie top level competition) option (level 2 or similar). That was even drag hunting! On some of the policies.

Any injury to themselves, horse or others on the hunting field may not be covered and the hunt wouldn't be too happy!

Also suggest, since its a new horse, that perhaps one of the beginners meets might be better to see how the horse reacts!

Ultimately tho it's their decision and there's little you can do!

Goldenstar

Visit site
You have said your piece now shut up.
I find this really hard it happens to me quite a lot and on some hand you don't want to sound snobby ( because that's how it comes across often ) but on the other hand you look at the horse and rider and think thats madness .
All I do now is try to point out gently some of the things to think about and suggest they try a quiet meet .
My experiance is however that most of the unthinking ones are so taken aback when everyone canters off they don't stay long ( so the horse fitness is rarely on issue ).
Some return again having wised up most you don't see again.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Has the horse hunted before? Have they brought the horse XC schooling?
My aunt had just 24 riding lessons and started hunting. Miraculously she survived many seasons. The horse she was on was as safe as a house though. She used to hold onto the pommel and cantle of the saddle over every jump. Painful to watch.
With regard to the fitness of the horse, unfortunately lots of idiots bring unfit horses out hunting.
Unfortunately theres nothing you can do, other than bring them to follow a hunt, and select one with massive drains etc to frighten the **** out of them

Fransurrey

Visit site
If she's a novice, I'd simply advise to her that she should wear a green ribbon on her and the horse's tail (and although I don't hunt, I assume you have to present yourself in some way as a novice?!?). At least that way, others can assist her when she's out. Otherwise, it's her call.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If she's a novice, I'd simply advise to her that she should wear a green ribbon on her and the horse's tail (and although I don't hunt, I assume you have to present yourself in some way as a novice?!?). At least that way, others can assist her when she's out. Otherwise, it's her call.

Although people do help others it's rather unfair to rock Up and expect people to give up their very expensive day to help out an unprepared rider .
Autumn hunting is the time to come out and do this after the opening meet people want to ' go' when the hounds do.
That's the advice I always give wait come out next September .

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I'm not sure how I'd handle this situation. Previously, my instinct was to leave people to it and let them learn on their own. But that doesn't work for everyone, and me and my mare ended up together because of the gross incompetence and stupidity of her previous novice rider which turned her into a dangerous, unrideable menace. Everyone was treading on eggshells around this woman, trying to find nice ways to tell her things, or turning a blind eye to what she was doing. Nobody other than me and YO told her not to do things, so she demonised the pair of us to everyone else and learned to only use her whip on the side of the school the YO can't see from her house or when she was off the yard. It doesn't take long to completely ruin a willing horse, just four months in this case, but it takes a hell of a lot longer to put them right again. I won't go into a detail, but both rider and owner abandoned the horse when she was no longer safe and diagnosed with laminitis in her off fore, and YO and me ended up picking up the pieces. I never planned for the mare to be mine, but for some reason we really bonded and that was that.

So now I think to hell with it, horse's welfare first before someone's ego. If what they're doing is dangerous or just plain unfair to the horse I say so until I think the message has gone in, and I think doing that saved my mare from being abused another few months. The only risk is that it doesn't add to a happy yard environment.

Flosii

Visit site
As a novice does she know how expenmsive a day is? praps the price alone will do it! Unfortuneately tho there is not alot you can do. But on the one hand it might be a very steep but valuable learning curve for her. I tend to find if the horse has been before they will know what to do and leave the rider to it.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink!

fatpiggy

Visit site
I think you have mentioned the potential problems and if they aren't listened to, leave the rider to it. When the horse has run off with her and she needs to change her knickers urgently as a result she will probably come straight home. I knew a girl who was a very experienced rider and showjumper but her horse regularly tanked off with hunting even after a few ACP tablets! She used to come back swearing and cursing about him and nursing sore fingers inside shredded gloves. There was a rider likethe OP's example on one yard I was on - knew it all and would deliberately do things she been warned about. I couldn't have cared less about her (in fact if she'd broken her neck I would have cheered as it would have meant I wouldn't have to put up with her dogs (not allowed on yard anyway) c*4pping outside and in my stable any more) but I was concerned about the horse because it was no way fit enough. Anyway, off she went on the first hunt of the season and the horse came back with a fat leg. What a surprise.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That they aren't capable
I know someone who wants to take horse out say hunting they are a novice rider & horse is unfit , has been giving horse food to fizz it up so now thinks the horse is up for it - I could be wrong but think a nasty accident could be looming for rider & horse - I have mentioned that at the moment it may not be the sensible thing to do but they know better (0nly had horse for 4 months) am I just interfering ? wwyd - thanks for reading xx

Well there's a first time for everything.

In your shoes I'd mind your own business. I expect they'll have a fantastic time. You could even go along to keep her company for the day and show her the ropes........

Hobbitpony

Visit site
There's hunting and there's hunting... If she won't listen to you telling her not to go and you still want to try and do something, you may need to be more constructive. Just some ideas off the top of my head:

- Has she ever been to watch a hunt? If not, maybe suggest she goes as a foot follower first. If she sees what's involved for herself she may realise she needs to delay her attendance.

- Maybe take her out for a longish, slightly faster than normal hack, with some jumping. If she struggles with that she may realise she still has work to do.

- Is there a quieter pack she could go with? Some hunts do beginner days - my friend did one and said it was surprisingly sedate, she never came out of trot, and all the jumps were optional.

- Is there someone else going that she can buddy up with who would keep an eye on her and send her home if she or the horse seem to be struggling?

At the end of the day though, I'll bet she won't be the only one of dubious fitness and questionable riding ability out there....

This ^^ is all sound advice. At the end of the day sadly its her horse and she may just have to learn the hard way but the right pack and the right meet could make all the difference, for example around us Beaufort Saturdays = mad/brave souls only, Cotswold Thursdays = hunting for softies (I am happily in this camp!!) Whatever pack she wants to go with she should ring the secretary out of politeness and ask to attend rather than just turn up, they should be happy to advise on meets which are suitable for first timers or in easier country and also the dos/don'ts, turnout. Typically a 'non jumping' group forms at most meets which might benefit your friend.

The wife

Visit site
I'd personally leave her to it. It's not really any concern of yours (said in the kindest possible way). You have expressed your concern and it is now up to her to decide what happens after this. Perhaps suggest she goes to a newcomers day if your local hunt does them?

The only time I would be so brash to raise the subject again was if I owned a horse she was loaning, if it was a livery of mine (and even then if they really wanted to go, I'd let them get on with it) and lastly if they were my best friend or relation, otherwise unless they asked my opinion I would not have said a word. Sorry OP, probably not what you wanted to hear but one has just got to let others get on with what they want to do no did allow them to learn from it .

Mithras

Visit site
But she will learn loads out hunting. True, there is a risk of a nasty accident, but that's the same with everyone. People at the hunt will also advise her. Theres loads of novice people out hunting and its usually not them who have the worst accidents!

How unfit can the horse be if it is ridden? If shes that novice, she's not going to be able to gallop about and jump to keep up for long, or push a tired horse on. Just advise her to ring the hunt sec for advice on her first meet and if she's got any luck, they will advise her of someone who is keeping an eye on first timers.