How do you tie up in a horsebox?

dressage_diva

Visit site
I'm picking up a horsebox I've bought tomorrow and I've been wondering about how people now tie up horses in horseboxes - I've always used baler twine and a quick release knot, but reading around online this seems to be the old fashioned way of doing it and nowadays there are trailer ties and bungees available.

What do you all use and which do you recommend? I don't like the idea of a bungee smacking the horse (or human!) in the face if they give way, but equally I can see the benefit of having something safer than baler twine.

Thanks

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm picking up a horsebox I've bought tomorrow and I've been wondering about how people now tie up horses in horseboxes - I've always used baler twine and a quick release knot, but reading around online this seems to be the old fashioned way of doing it and nowadays there are trailer ties and bungees available.

What do you all use and which do you recommend? I don't like the idea of a bungee smacking the horse (or human!) in the face if they give way, but equally I can see the benefit of having something safer than baler twine.

Thanks

Both really I use bungee and string

hcm88

Visit site
I don't use bungees for the reason you mentioned, I'm worried they'd take an eye out if they snap back under pressure! I use lorry ties with a quick release clip but not bungee version, you can get plastic coated chains etc.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm going for plastic coated chain thing. Just as soon as I can find somewhere that sells them. Typically when not needing them they are everywhere!

Does anyone know the technical name for them??

Last edited:

CBAnglo

Visit site
Baler twine with trailer tie (non bungee version). No idea what it is called other than trailer tie bought on US ebay 10 years ago.

Theocat

Visit site
I don't even know what a trailer tie is!

Baker twine, quick release knot, and a quick release clip on the lead rope. The rope lives in the trailer and I just clip it on after loading, then clip a normal rope back on to unload.

dressage_diva

Visit site

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To the ring with quick release knot.
I also have a very sharp knife stuck with gaffa tape to wall (out of horses reach) for emergency.

Had to use the knife only 2 weeks ago, on adjacent hired box to cut out a horse who had tried to jump breastbar (it was too low for 16hh horse IMHO) and the trailer tie had not broken, nor had the baler twine that was on the other pillar rope. 2 quick slashes & horse was free.

Charmin

Visit site
Baler twine and non elasticated trailer tie, with quick release bit attached to baling twine in case horse is thrashing around. Also always travel in a leather head collar. For the smaller and younger ones I split the baling twine to about half-third thickness, but usually use older stuff anyway.

Lyle

Visit site
My horse is a little bit dicey to load/unload still, and is quite nervous in the box. I use a long training rope, and thread it through a small piece of looped hay band tied to the ring in his bay. I then pass it through, and tie it to the hay band in the next bay. This means I can tie/un tie with the divider shut. He can be quite difficult, and at this stage don't want to risk tying him up with the divider open. If I've untied him and then opened the divider, I have control of the end of the rope, in case he does something silly! In general, always I always tie up to hay band. I want to be able to cut it in an emergency!

mynutmeg

Visit site
My preference is a short trailer tie - not a bungee one but a normal rope, or covered chain with a panic snap on the end so it release in an accident

Jnhuk

Visit site
I have a trailer tie with a quick release clip and after an interesting discussion with a friend starting clip them round the other way so the quick release bit is attached to the headcollar rather than the tie up ring.

gingerlegs

Visit site
I made my own plastic coated chains as I find the shop bought ones too long. Very cheap and easy to do.
I have a leadrope clip at each end for ease, chain and tubing from B&Q cut by them to the right length, and the chain link attachments.
I've made loads (I have a rope chewer) I use them in the lorry and stable day to day!

I attach them to baling twine but only need a very small loop