How do you wash your sheepskin?

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I got a gorgeous fully lined sheepskin/lambs wool numnah as a birthday present to myself and I've just washed it for the first time and I'm sweating! It says strictly hand wash only, I wouldn't be able to machine wash it even if it was allowed... We have a new washer and I think the OH would divorce me if I washed both horse AND sheep in it! ;)

Anyway, I handwashed it and it was a mission, the bleddy thing soaked up all the water in the sink and I felt like a Victorian maid massaging it in the sink to get the marks out. Not to mention spinning it around in the garden to get the water out (thus splatting next-door's French windows in the process).

It's now on the line in the sun looking like it will never dry in a million years.

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated :)

Baileybones

Visit site
I slather it in hair conditioner and pop it in the washing machine on the wool cycle. No detergent. Then over the banister to dry.

Redders

Visit site
I have washed mine but actually have found that a good dandy brush with a little water on cloth bits and dog grooming brush on wool bits works really well. I do it quite often so it never gets bad and it takes 5mins.

Tobiano

Visit site
I regularly wash my sheepskin girth sleeve in the washing machine. I think it is making it slightly more fragile but I've had it ages and probably washed it 20 times now.

NikNak1

Visit site
I am another who has washed girth sleeve and half pad in the washing machine on normal 30 degree setting and normal detergent with no problems! I have also covered in human conditioner which does make it come out lovely and soft and almost like new!

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Thank you for the tips - I shall be definitely trying the conditioner tip next time as it's looking a bit like a wet old sheep now and not all fluffy and new as before :( Arghh!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have various half pads and girths and wash them in the washing machine on a special wool wash cycle with either Woolite or a special sheepskin detergent. They come up lovely and fluffy.

I would use conditioner or fabric conditioner and one horse is prone to allergies and I prefer not to have anything left on. I set an extra rinse on everything horsey I wash for the same reason.

The_Dappled_One.

Visit site
My old nuumed has clearly been thrown into a wash without care- result was a rather matted and rough fluff!
I refluffed it with a wire dog brush and did the conditioner trick and it's good as new, so if yours is looking a bit flat you could try that :)

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Hand washing is for mugs. We've sent man to the moon (allegedly), we can transplant one persons limb to another. We have cars that can move from 0 to 100mph in under 4 seconds. We have Netflix fgs!!! Life is too short for hand washing, whether it's a sheepskin numnah or an YSL cashmere sweater. If sheepskin cannot be boiled wash with my undies then I ain't interested.

lainy

Visit site
I bought a secondhand one which came to me dirty and matted with dried on sweat/grease! i rubbed hair conditioner on and left it for an hour or so, then into a wool wash. Came out lovely and clean. i dried it away from direct heat . I think a wool wash is a better job than rubbing away at it yourself! just do it when your other half is away;)

jnb

Visit site
Never ever leave it in direct sunlight to dry - it will go hard and rub the horse!
Wash at 30 degrees with Woolite / Nuuwash after rubbing in cheapo hair conditioner to the fleece.
Remove from washing machine and brush with a wire dog brush which fluffs thew fleece back up and stops it going hard/into dreadlocks. then lie flat indoors and let it dry naturally.
I have one sheepskin numnah which is now 6 years old and looks good as new.

w1bbler

Visit site
Stick in washing machine with woolite, reduce the spin speed if your machine allows. Do not dry in direct sunlight or radiator / tumble dryer, slowly at room temp.
To keep oh happy, buy a horseware wash bag & stick the numnah in that first, comes out clean & all the hair is inside the bag, not your machine.
Can wash all your grooming brushes in the bag too - just add an old towel or similar to stop too much bashing inside the drum.